Given that Samsung has said that the Exynos 4 Quad in the S3 is pin-to-pin compatible with the same hardware that powers the Exynos 4 Dual found in devices like the S2. Does this mean that we will get the same chip in America?

Frankly I'm not sure why some phones like the HTC One X had to switch from a Tegra 3 to an S4 in the US. In everything I've read nobody seems to know the reason for this???
    05-03-2012 08:58 PM
    No. Because it doesn't have LTE. You'll see HSPA+ versions with Exonys, and S4 on LTE networks.
    05-03-2012 09:02 PM
    Given that Samsung has said that the Exynos 4 Quad in the S3 is pin-to-pin compatible with the same hardware that powers the Exynos 4 Dual found in devices like the S2. Does this mean that we will get the same chip in America?

Frankly I'm not sure why some phones like the HTC One X had to switch from a Tegra 3 to an S4 in the US. In everything I've read nobody seems to know the reason for this???
    They were not able to implement a 4G LTE radio on board. The radio would have to be a separate chip and probably drain battery life and thicken the phones design. Rather than spend allt he RnD time to design a brand new phone that is thicker and will have to be produced separately than their current design, it is economically better to just use the S4 which is a single SoC with the 4G LTE radio built in.
    deesugar and OhSoCheesy like this.
    05-03-2012 09:02 PM
    The rumor mill seems to be exclusively saying we will get an SGS3 with the same S4 processor as the AT&T One X and Sprint E4GLTE. Too bad, because the Exynos looks like a beast - especially the GPU.
    05-03-2012 09:04 PM
    Thanks for the explanation but I'm further miffed by the fact that everyone is reporting that there is not much difference between the Tegra 3 and the S4. Naturally one would think then why go with a quad core if it makes no difference?

Also shouldn't the Snapdragon quad cores be out in time for the next Nexus phone?
    05-03-2012 09:11 PM
    Supposedly there's a chance we'll get the newer A15 based chip.
    snoopyandroid likes this.
    05-03-2012 09:23 PM
    Thanks for the explanation but I'm further miffed by the fact that everyone is reporting that there is not much difference between the Tegra 3 and the S4. Naturally one would think then why go with a quad core if it makes no difference?

Also shouldn't the Snapdragon quad cores be out in time for the next Nexus phone?
    Handset makers make the decisions they do for a reason that, to the outsider, seem weird. Why does the Galaxy Nexus have the Ti Omap which is not exactly the fastest thing in the world, losing to the Galaxy S2 with Exynos 4410 despite the S2 being the older phone?? Because Ti was chosen by Google to be the first development partner when ICS came out. A lot of people were hoping for an Exynos 4412 already in the Galaxy Nexus, but the decision was made way early in the development cycle based on what Google chose as early development partner.

The Tegra 3 is a quadcore based on the older A9 core, the S4 is based on the much newer and better A15 instruction set, it's manufactured with the 28 nm process (smaller is better) compared to the 45 nm in the 4410 (Galaxy S2) and the 32nm used in the 4412 and the Tegra 3. What's holding the S4 back is it's GPU, the Adreno 225. It's fast, but not Adreno 325 fast. That will find it's way into the S4 Pro later this year, but unfortunately not in time to make it into the US carrier version of the GS3 (not sure on that, but from what I read, it's unlikely). I am amazed how fast the GS3's GPU is seeing how it is based on the Mali 400 that was in the GS2!

Anyways, just because you have a quad core doesn't mean it's faster than a more modern dual core, and such is the case between the Tegra 3 and the S4. The Exynos 4410 was a beast when it came out and wiped the floor with the competition, doubling it up obviously results in tremendous Tegra 3 killing speed. I am not sure how computer savy you are, but it's a good analogy. A older Intel quad core processor has a hard time keeping up with a mid to upper range dual core of the current generation. Old 60s muscle cars had huge engines, but a smaller engine today will make more power and use less fuel.

Lets see how the US version of the GS3 will fare, I am pretty optimistic based on what I saw in the AT&T version of the One X.
    werkx and KoukiFC3S like this.
    05-03-2012 09:31 PM
    That would be nice, however, there is no confirmation to be found that the A15 based chip (the 5250) has LTE built in that is compatible with the bands used by US carriers.
    05-03-2012 09:32 PM
    True, but there's nothing saying that it isn't either and the availability date lins up.
    05-03-2012 09:45 PM
    True, but there's nothing saying that it isn't either and the availability date lins up.
    The Korea Times was the source saying that both new chips, the 4412 and 5250 now had LTE, according to some executive, but supposedly, they were only LTE bands for the rest of the world. After that, we never got any more info.

If we did get the 5250 here I'd be thrilled, however, being a realist and looking back in history, and also by looking at that Verizon browser leak, chances are, it's going to be the S4
    05-03-2012 09:50 PM
    FYI...
    HTC One X: Snapdragon S4 vs Tegra 3 in performance, GPU, battery life, and web browsing | Android and Me

Conclusion:
    "Both chips are awesome and you cant really tell a difference in normal usage"
    snoopyandroid likes this.
    05-03-2012 10:01 PM
    FYI...
    HTC One X: Snapdragon S4 vs Tegra 3 in performance, GPU, battery life, and web browsing | Android and Me

Conclusion:
    "Both chips are awesome and you cant really tell a difference in normal usage"
    Yep, that was a good comparison.
    05-03-2012 10:03 PM
    As more developers take advantage of quad-core processors and upgrade their apps to be multi-threaded could this be the thing that will make dual-core CPUs show their weakness?
    05-03-2012 11:12 PM
    No. Most apps we use every day get no benefit from using multiple cores. It is harder to code for multiple cores as well. It is possible that future games might do better with a quad core, but the dual S4 is as good as any quad core you can get today. Where the exnyos shines is the gpu, and that will certainly make a difference on games in the future.
    05-03-2012 11:42 PM
    No. Because it doesn't have LTE. You'll see HSPA+ versions with Exonys, and S4 on LTE networks.
    There won't be any HSPA+ versions with an Exynos, because it isn't compatible with that either. The T-mobile version of the SII, for example, used an S3 because the dual core exynos was not compatible with the HSPA+ baseband.
    05-04-2012 01:50 AM
    I've been hearing the same thing.
    05-04-2012 07:24 AM
    I've been hearing the same thing.
    Didn't the original story from the Korea Times say dual core, but the guy never said which? Maybe someone just assumed it was S4.

I really like the new phone. Think the design is good, new software features are epic.
    Really hope we don't get a gimped version here in NA.
    05-04-2012 09:19 AM
    Didn't the original story from the Korea Times say dual core, but the guy never said which? Maybe someone just assumed it was S4.

I really like the new phone. Think the design is good, new software features are epic.
    Really hope we don't get a gimped version here in NA.
    The article does say that they will use Qualcomm chips for the US version, but it doesn't say exactly which one. It seems to imply with the tone of the article that it will be the dual-core S4.

Here's the link: LG frets over Qualcomm€™s fall

I would love for them to use the 5250, but I haven't seen any leaks, legitimate rumors, or otherwise that would indicate it being the case.
    05-04-2012 09:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD