Notification LED

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
This is an exciting feature (in my opinion) that a lot of blogs have seemed to gloss over. There is an RGB notification LED on the SGS3 (unlike the first and second). Supposedly a very good one. Not the biggest news in the world, but good to hear none the less.

SGS3-1242_575px.jpg

AnandTech - The Samsung Galaxy S III Preview

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree, this small detail is actually pretty awesome for a lot of folks. I had blackberry for years, and my last two phones have been Samsung without this feature. I actually do miss the LED notification.

But I am pretty sure the SGSII does have LED notication. I'm glad they kept it with the new design.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I agree, this small detail is actually pretty awesome for a lot of folks. I had blackberry for years, and my last two phones have been Samsung without this feature. I actually do miss the LED notification.

But I am pretty sure the SGSII does have LED notication. I'm glad they kept it with the new design.

I had the ATT SGSII and then the Skyrocket. Neither had LED notification

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I had the ATT SGSII and then the Skyrocket. Neither had LED notification

The Sprint GSII E4G Touch (longest phone name in history!) has the LED notification. A buddy of mine here at work has one, I just checked to be sure! I guess that was the only one that did. Weird...but good for Sprint keeping that feature.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
The Sprint GSII E4G Touch (longest phone name in history!) has the LED notification. A buddy of mine here at work has one, I just checked to be sure! I guess that was the only one that did. Weird...but good for Sprint keeping that feature.

^^^ He's right, Sprint only one.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

There are many reasons for my impending switch to Android from BlackBerry - however there are things I will miss if I can't reproduce them as well.

Being able to walk into the room and glance at my BlackBerry and know what type of messages I have waiting and who they're from - simply by looking at the LED from across the room - is very useful to me.

I see no reason for phones not to include a LED notification - you should be able to just disable it if you don't like it.

I must say the hidden LED on the HTC One X is a really nice touch though - not sure it has the same functionality but I love the way it's concealed.

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
To mimic others here, yes, it's a big deal to me. LOVE the fact that the GNex has one and while I learned to live without a real notification light on other phones after leaving BB, having this is a huge plus for me.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Nice but the location sucks it should be on top.

Just curious...why would you want it on top? I almost always have my phone flat or in my car cradle, looking at the face of the device. I would not want a notification light on the top edge of the phone, if that's what you mean?

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I use No LED on my Galaxy S which tells you at a glance what kind of messages (email, text, voicemail) and missed phone calls. Not sure if there is a version for S II models.

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Just curious...why would you want it on top? I almost always have my phone flat or in my car cradle, looking at the face of the device. I would not want a notification light on the top edge of the phone, if that's what you mean?

It would be in a position that it could be seen if it was laid flat, or if it was holstered. Like on old phones.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I use No LED on my Galaxy S which tells you at a glance what kind of messages (email, text, voicemail) and missed phone calls. Not sure if there is a version for S II models.

I used to use this as well. It is a nice app, but it also is another app on the phone that ends up using battery and memory.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Sprint seems to do theirs the most different I guess. Same with the SGS1.

I must say the hidden LED on the HTC One X is a really nice touch though - not sure it has the same functionality but I love the way it's concealed.

The concern I have with the HTC light is the fact that nearly every time a review mentions it, it's how difficult the light is to see. If it's anything like my Titan, I can understand what they mean by that. It looks like the SGS3 does it a bit better (or at least bigger). The SGS3 is also pretty concealed. it looks to me like they are basically lighting up a thin point in the plastic basically, to let it shine through. From the same preview:

SGS3-1209.jpg

I can't see it at all when off.

You don't find any battery drain? NoLED killed my battery, but that was around a year and a half ago. I just use the roms that allow the capacative buttons to light up on notifications. Not as detailed, but it's something.

Nashstruck

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Hello!!!

First post here. Just signed up because Ive been following sgs3 since yesterday and this is definitely going to be my next device.

I'm coming from a blackberry 9900 and the lacklustre by 10 has made me drool over this device. The LED is one of the best reasons to get this device I feel. A small addition but one of a huge value I think.

Can't wait for 29 may. Hoping the battery life is decent. That would be my only turn off.

P.s. lots of people complain about the looks of the sgs3... Not sure what their smoking because it is honestly really sleek and "pretty". The htc one x is too chunky n square n boring!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci