Notification LED

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't use the No LED that frequently, only when I'm not near the phone which isn't that often. I probably use it on average for about 2 hours a day and I recharge the phone afterward. My Captivate has pretty lousy battery life even with the No LED turned off (and the Bluetooth, WiFi & GPS turned off). Much improved battery life is what I'm really looking forward to with the S III, that and 4G/LTE.

The fact that the battery life of the S II & Skyrocket is no better than my Captivate is the reason I didn't upgrade to either (even though I tether and the 4G would have been a great improvement). I was waiting for something that had a major battery life improvement and it would appear the S III & the HTC One X both have it. Looking forward to my S III when available on AT&T.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Hello!!!

First post here. Just signed up because Ive been following sgs3 since yesterday and this is definitely going to be my next device.

I'm coming from a blackberry 9900 and the lacklustre by 10 has made me drool over this device. The LED is one of the best reasons to get this device I feel. A small addition but one of a huge value I think.

Can't wait for 29 may. Hoping the battery life is decent. That would be my only turn off.

P.s. lots of people complain about the looks of the sgs3... Not sure what their smoking because it is honestly really sleek and "pretty". The htc one x is too chunky n square n boring!

Welcome aboard man! You're going to love Android!

Reactions: Nashstruck

drparanoid1

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from a BB Bold 9700 as well and I must say emphatically that the LED is definitely an important feature for me after using a blackberry for so many years. It's not a deal breaker if it doesn't have it but I'm certain fellow BB/FormerBB owners can appreciate the inclusion in the S3's design. I need this dang thing to come out already. I'm getting sick of watching my buddies all rock iPhone's and talk about it like its the best thing since sliced bread. Mind you, they all previously came from BB's like me so I'm sure to us anything would be a lot better. This will be my first Android, and I can't wait.

weezul

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm also coming from blackberry.. had a 9000 for 2 years and a 9800 for two.. I'm sad to leave but it was the physical keyboard that really had me staying. Not looking forward to that transition, but the LED is certainly another thing you don't get well anywhere else. Will be nice if you can use it to it's full potential ala BerryBuzz or similar

Nashstruck

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from a BB Bold 9700 as well and I must say emphatically that the LED is definitely an important feature for me after using a blackberry for so many years. It's not a deal breaker if it doesn't have it but I'm certain fellow BB/FormerBB owners can appreciate the inclusion in the S3's design. I need this dang thing to come out already. I'm getting sick of watching my buddies all rock iPhone's and talk about it like its the best thing since sliced bread. Mind you, they all previously came from BB's like me so I'm sure to us anything would be a lot better. This will be my first Android, and I can't wait.

Same here!!! :cool:

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Not including a notification led is criminal. Of course don't tell that to Apple until they 'invent' this feature as well.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I miss the LED light mixed in with the button on my Palm Pre. haha. It only had the light in white but when you used homebrew you could determine what the notification was (email, text, etc.) by the number of times it lit up. It'll be good to have color

Nashstruck

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I miss the LED light mixed in with the button on my Palm Pre. haha. It only had the light in white but when you used homebrew you could determine what the notification was (email, text, etc.) by the number of times it lit up. It'll be good to have color

It should be customisable with an app I hope?
BB comes with a LED that can change colours but only customisable via an app. Weird huh.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
BB comes with a LED that can change colours but only customisable via an app. Weird huh.

I still can't understand why RIM doesn't buy Bellshare (makers of BerryBuzz) or another company...or make their own...the notifications on BlackBerrys are great but BerryBuzz brings it to another level. It really should be part of the OS.

For that matter, I don't understand why iOS and Android don't have it built in either. You'd think it's rocket science to deliver completely 100% customizable notifications.

One of the main features I was looking for, Removeable Battery, SD card Slot, Notification LED. The Missing SD card slot is my main gripe about the GNex, so if that LED is there, this is going to be my next phone (also considering it has an unlocked bootloader).

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Haha, very weird. Especially for something that seems so simple. Even if they dont feel like designing one, hell they could buy the app. Lol. I dont understand what these phone companies are thinking sometimes.

knowledge_6

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I too am missing my LED on my SGS2 LTE (skyrocket in Canada).

this is going to be great ; > but i also have a 9900 for work and i love it.. i also had a BB for last 5 years as my personal device.. i love both my android and BB .. it took me over a month to get my android to function as my BB did cause of the features and functionality!!

i.e.
- i had to forward my emails to gmail to get instant push from gmail.. cause the native email took FOREVER!
- i had to install sms unread count and installed a PATCHED signed version of gmail to get the count notifications to work properly (both GB and ICS leak)
- this sms unread count also gave me the option to have 3 separate icons for each of my 3 email address;
- i still cannot get over the conversation threaded messages in gmail!! i hate it!
- I had to install some other apps to get things the way i wanted.
- the call quality on my BB is much better as well as volume.

in the end i love both devices!! they do different things for me.. and i can definitely do more work and be productive on my BB then my SGS2.. but the SGS2 is fun to tweak, customize and play around with..

off topic.. sorry

but i am looking forward to upgrading my SGS2 LTE to the SG3 and getting the LED notifications ; >

Nashstruck

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Haha, very weird. Especially for something that seems so simple. Even if they dont feel like designing one, hell they could buy the app. Lol. I dont understand what these phone companies are thinking sometimes.

Lol agreed. I guess they're probably just afraid of encroaching on the developer ecosystem. Apple's incremental OS updates are based on jailbreak developers whose party they don't mind crashing lol. But to takeaway a function that a legit developer provides for your device legit-ly through the App Store, albeit at a small price, could scare potential developers away I guess, esp after said developers spend all them hours trying to figure out a working colour spectrum using the limited RGB lights provided. Sucha task was only useful during crayon sessions in play-school.lol.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Lol agreed. I guess they're probably just afraid of encroaching on the developer ecosystem. Apple's incremental OS updates are based on jailbreak developers whose party they don't mind crashing lol. But to takeaway a function that a legit developer provides for your device legit-ly through the App Store, albeit at a small price, could scare potential developers away I guess, esp after said developers spend all them hours trying to figure out a working colour spectrum using the limited RGB lights provided. Sucha task was only useful during crayon sessions in play-school.lol.

Very good point. If I was a developer I would be pissed off if they did that with my app. Im wondering how one could suit and win if it did happen. It seems pretty intimidating being just an average joe developing apps taking on someone as big as Blackberry. lol. I know I'd want to suit but Im not sure how patents, copyrights, apps, and the legal system mix.:p

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Patience is wearing thin amongst BB fans. And my BBM contact list has shrunk by 50% since January alone.

For me...I still love my BlackBerry Torch 9800 from 2 years ago. It's a solid phone albeit not the quickest. I rarely have to deal with any bugs and it just works.

That being said, I want something new and nothing from RIM is going to be exciting until the end of the year...and we don't even know if they're going to get their act together. The software/hardware is totally up in the air...though promising.

My upgrade came up too late for me to be interested in the Bold 9900 which is probably an awesome phone...I LOVED my Bold 9000. It's just...why buy one now with a QNX version (BB10) coming out later in the year?

I've always been interested in Android - and now it's evolved and matured - so now's my chance to dive in and see what I think. A year from now BlackBerry may be exciting again. We'll then see how much I enjoy Android...and whether or not BB can win me back.

BTW Windows Phone has my attention and interest...I was a big time WM 2006 user before BB got me. It needs to mature some though. Apple has no chance with me. None.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Very good point. If I was a developer I would be pissed off if they did that with my app. Im wondering how one could suit and win if it did happen. It seems pretty intimidating being just an average joe developing apps taking on someone as big as Blackberry. lol. I know I'd want to suit but Im not sure how patents, copyrights, apps, and the legal system mix.:p

Welcome to software development. The biggest problem with.developing utility apps is, if they are good, they may go.into the OS. Its better for tthe average Joe, but can.hurt the developer.

However, if you write software for an OS, you know the risks. All you can do is make it better.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: Tkbredx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol