05-16-2012 02:11 PM
42 12
tools
    05-05-2012 11:02 AM
    I really hate Apple.
    05-05-2012 11:15 AM
    The link you have just brings me back to the post, is it supposed to go to an article?
    05-05-2012 11:23 AM
    The link you have just brings me back to the post, is it supposed to go to an article?
    Try it now.
    05-05-2012 11:27 AM
    Well let's thanks apple then. I think the iphone is the ugliest smartphone out there. It's symmetrical and boring with a tiny screen and huge ugly black borders at the top and bottom. It's completely flat on both the front and back (I liked the iphone 3G and 3gs design much better) and it's basically just a brick with some rounded off corners. It's industrial, not sensual. I don't know what everyone's problem with the design of the gs3 is, but in my opinion it looks great. Considering all the lawyer rules they had to circumvent, I think they did a great job! It's curvy and smooth, seems to fit your hand well and it's functional. So thanks apple for wanting to own everything, your dumb rules infuse imagination into the design of other handset makers products. Not sure why the author is bashing samsung for losing its soul, I bet if he had to pay all the lawyers bills he would play by those unfortunate rules too. Samsung is a company in business to make money, not a rebel alliance fighting the evil empire. Nice analysis and write up though.
    Tkbredx and cordoni like this.
    05-05-2012 12:40 PM
    Apple always has to be the bully in the mobile electronics world... WHY!? Anyways ok so Samsung designed the Galaxy S III to try to avoid a lawsuit from Apple. Apple will still find something to complain about because Apple would rather bully its compeition than inovate. The iPhone is an utterly boring device, it hasnt changed much since it was first introduced. Apple still uses the same 3.5" display size, the hardware has only slightly improved.
    Apple just can't admit that Android is better than iOS and Apple is very scared one day it might lose its seat in the smartphone kingdom, it already is starting to lose it.
    What the Galaxy S III looks like doesnt matter to me because im not buying it for how it looks, im buying it for what it does.
    05-05-2012 03:08 PM
    Interesting concept, but I'm not buying it.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    05-05-2012 03:56 PM
    Just stupid. They did design this with the thought of avoiding the hassle, but to suggest lawyers designed it....absurd.

Good find blitz, but I call shenanigans
    05-05-2012 04:06 PM
    I agree, although Samsung probably did design the SGS3 to avoid conflict with Apple, its very unlikely their legal team had anything to do with it. And for the record, I think the SGS3's curves are very natural and sexy looking.
    05-05-2012 06:12 PM
    I dont hate the design anymore
    05-05-2012 06:25 PM
    Funny how both fruity phones are not only ugly, but also haven't changed their designs at all. If someone shows me a new blackberry I can barely tell it from the previous model. With the blackberry storm, they didn't even bother changing the design in 3 generations. And well, they changed the iPhone once since the change from the original iPhone to the 3G wasn't all that big.

It's Android were all the innovation is. And then to hear reviewers say that it's just another black slab....uh....well, how else are you going to design a modern smartphone? This one reviewer said that the bottom end of the GS3 was too boring because it was just plain white/blue....uhm...maybe put some graffity down there? A couple of wings and flaps maybe? Jeez...some people have nothing better to do than complain complain complain.
    coinmanmat likes this.
    05-05-2012 06:57 PM
    Are there really any phones out there that look anything like the iPhone anymore? Android designs have evolved, iPhone design has not, in my opinion.

05-05-2012 07:34 PM
    Well let's thanks apple then. I think the iphone is the ugliest smartphone out there. It's symmetrical and boring with a tiny screen and huge ugly black borders at the top and bottom. It's completely flat on both the front and back (I liked the iphone 3G and 3gs design much better) and it's basically just a brick with some rounded off corners. It's industrial, not sensual. I don't know what everyone's problem with the design of the gs3 is, but in my opinion it looks great. Considering all the lawyer rules they had to circumvent, I think they did a great job! It's curvy and smooth, seems to fit your hand well and it's functional. So thanks apple for wanting to own everything, your dumb rules infuse imagination into the design of other handset makers products. Not sure why the author is bashing samsung for losing its soul, I bet if he had to pay all the lawyers bills he would play by those unfortunate rules too. Samsung is a company in business to make money, not a rebel alliance fighting the evil empire. Nice analysis and write up though.
    Yeah, see, except the iPhones design is actually a good one. The s3 isn't even in the same league. Heck, the 6 month old Nexus and year old s2 look better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    courtb2012 likes this.
    05-05-2012 07:49 PM
    Yeah, see, except the iPhones design is actually a good one. The s3 isn't even in the same league. Heck, the 6 month old Nexus and year old s2 look better.

And I feel the exact opposite. I think the iPhone is an ugly design. So again this is all subjective. Your opinion does not make it the correct answer.

MannyZ28 likes this.
    05-06-2012 08:03 AM
    Sgs3 has great design but sgs2 has epic design

05-06-2012 09:11 AM
    Oh no, the iPhone's design is horrible. Who wants a all glass and metal phone, you drop it and its game over. The Galaxy S III might be plastic but its way more durable than the iPhone is.
    05-06-2012 09:17 AM
    Funny how many people don't lend much credit to high strength polymers.
    05-06-2012 09:31 AM
    Funny, "Designed by lawyers" is exactly the last thing I thought about the SGS III. Of course, I've actually held it in my hand.
    05-06-2012 10:37 AM
    Funny, "Designed by lawyers" is exactly the last thing I thought about the SGS III. Of course, I've actually held it in my hand.
    I was just saying that to myself. Everyone is saying how ugly the design is and they have NEVER seen it in person. That amazes me
    05-06-2012 05:26 PM
    That was an interesting read. It's pretty insightful to read the comments as well. I can't believe how stubborn and naive the Apple community can be. There is so much fanboyism and hatred towards Android. When it was brought into discussion several people listed survey's and sales results that showed how Android was on the rise and beginning to pass the iPhone(if it already hadn't) in certain area's, and several in the Apple crowd began to deny these statistics, as if they didn't exist, pointing and throwing all kinds of justifications as to why Apple is the unconditional leader of the smartphone. "Apple already sold X amount of devices on X amount of carriers in X amount of time." Chances are if you have to make all kinds of justifications eventually they start to sound like biased excuses. Did I read that right? Did anyone else notice that about that post? Just wow.

Ignorance tends to hurt things more than it helps. I'm not going to base my view on the Apple community based off one controversial article but the reality is if apple doesn't get the hardware and software up to snuff with the iPhone5 then the smartphone market will really be open season. I'm not saying the iPhone is a bad phone, I'm not trying to offend anyone or shove my opinion down everyone's throat as facts. I have respect for what Apple has done in such a short time, but the general consensus I'm getting from many people I talk to about cell phones is that many close to me are beginning to grow tired of their Apple products and iOS devices. The software is bland and very restricted in my eyes, and the word Android keeps getting mentioned out in the real world more and more. The more people that are educated on Android, the better.

We as a community can at least admit our short comings. Android has probably way too many phone models on the market, which would scare the average consumer, but at least there are options for all. The software is maybe not entirely the most original, or best coded.. but its getting a lot better, give people an open source and they will flock. iOS also hasn't really evolved much in the recent years, certainly not as much as the Android platform has. Time's change. That's life. Apple doesn't make bad products, people will always buy them(I actually really like the iPad a lot) but it's only a matter of time before they fall off that high horse. The general population deserves whatever product makes them happy. If Apple does eventually go on the decline, they can take all the iSheep with them as far as I'm concerned.
    iPhone4Rocks! and MannyZ28 like this.
    05-06-2012 06:31 PM
    Apple, Samsung, Xbox, Sony....All made by Foxconn.
    05-06-2012 06:35 PM
    Oh no, the iPhone's design is horrible. Who wants a all glass and metal phone, you drop it and its game over. The Galaxy S III might be plastic but its way more durable than the iPhone is.
    Not true. When I had an iPhone, I dropped it multiple times and nothing happened. I know many others that had the same thing happen. Like anything, HOW you drop it matters.
    05-06-2012 10:14 PM
    The phone seems wayyy sexier than an iPhone and easier to hold with its curvy-ness.

I think some of those patents are bull though. I cant have a black GS3 because of a stupid Apple patent? Really?
    05-06-2012 11:54 PM
    Apple can and will sue for no reason, they own a ton of total bs patents, and its the only way Apple can compete. I feel sorry for Samsung having to deal with them, Apple is a huge customer and at the same time their biggest enemy.
    05-07-2012 05:24 AM
    It's true. We design the best phones.

All kidding aside, I'd much rather Android OEM's break away from the iPhone's industrial design. Copying what Apple does, if that happens at all, leads to a stale market full of similar devices. I think we often buy into the prevailing notion of tech bloggers that Apple's design is perfect and cannot be improved. Opinions like "the screen on the iPhone is small so you can reach the entire screen one-handed" is a contrived, unsupported conclusion derived from specious reasoning. Yet, Apple fanboys erroneously use that kind of crap to bolster their belief that no one can improve upon the iPhone's design except Apple itself.

Yes, things like the Continuum were bad ideas. But the original Droid kicked the iPhone 3GS in the plums because it was different in so many ways. The Droid was Blade Runner to the iPhone's 2001, metal and square versus plastic and squircle. If anything, I've always thought the iPhone 4 was Apple's take on the Droid, less the keyboard and a glass housing instead of metal.

We don't need more slabs. Let's break out with a newer yet practical design. I'm ok with the SIII's looks, but let's make it that last one.
    05-07-2012 06:35 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD