05-16-2012 04:02 AM
34 12
tools
    will they change the design of it, like how the at&t and sprint and t-mobile galaxy s2's all looked different, or will they keep the same design but offer different colors? or will all the phones be the same?

does anyone know? and i read somewhere that the t-mobile version will have a quad core, is that true?

thx in advance and sorry if posted already
    05-08-2012 04:32 PM
    It's hard to say, chances are the home button will be gone however we really have no idea. Give it a few weeks and we will see the North American version.

All of the carriers in Canada have announced the phone will be ready for summer so a June release seems likely
    Ry likes this.
    05-08-2012 04:51 PM
    For all we know it could be the exact same device for all the carriers. The Galaxy Nexus has very minor changes between its 3 versions. If Samsung wants to make this launch as global and fast as possible, which it looks like they are doing talking about showing us the American version in June (instead of October like last year), I doubt that they had much time to come up with a total of 5 versions of the same phone as they did before. I am guessing Samsung put their foot down and told the carriers that there won't be much customizing. This time around, I don't think there will be a bigger screen version, instead all will be the same size. Maybe they will ditch the home button and go to more of a ICS capacitive button setup. I for one rather have the cap buttons at the bottom than giving up screen space.

We will see in a few weeks!
    05-08-2012 06:51 PM
    Yeah it's pretty hard to say. My guess is the variant's will be much more similar to the International model this year, based on the apparent speed at which this year's model is being released in the US. It seems everyone may have learned from last year's cluster of a US release and the carriers may not be bickering as much over ways to differentiate their versions from each other. I guess we'll know soon enough.

Whether they keep the button or not is anyone's guess. I'm still leaning towards no, but I'm really 50/50 on it.
    05-08-2012 07:40 PM
    Yeah it's pretty hard to say. My guess is the variant's will be much more similar to the International model this year, based on the apparent speed at which this year's model is being released in the US. It seems everyone may have learned from last year's cluster of a US release and the carriers may not be bickering as much over ways to differentiate their versions from each other. I guess we'll know soon enough.

Whether they keep the button or not is anyone's guess. I'm still leaning towards no, but I'm really 50/50 on it.
    i think there is one guarentee tho, sprint and at&t will probably have the best looking versions, while the tmobile version will probably look like crap, like all the other tmobile phones outside of the gs2 white version
    05-08-2012 07:49 PM
    Safe to say the following...

Verizon: Verizon on front above screen and huge in the back. Also obnoxious huge "4G LTE LOLZ" slapped on there somewhere. Tons of stupid bloat. $100 more expensive.

ATT: ATT branding on front instead of Samsung, tons of stupid bloat.

Sprint: Some bloat. Some concrete physical improvement or alteration (Keyboard on Epic, larger screen/battery on Epic 4G touch). Earliest release date. Generally best version of the phone, most likely.

Although I'd say the likelihood of them all having the same hardware and release date is strong this time around.
    inthefresh likes this.
    05-08-2012 08:03 PM
    I just returned from a visit to a local independent ATT reseller who told me point blank that the inside scoop is that the GS3 will not be available from ATT until October at the earliest.

Not happy about that at all
    05-08-2012 08:15 PM
    Im curious about the variants as well.

But would you guys rather the three soft key ICS buttons, the ones we have here, or all capacitive buttons?
    05-08-2012 09:39 PM
    I just returned from a visit to a local independent ATT reseller who told me point blank that the inside scoop is that the GS3 will not be available from ATT until October at the earliest.

Remember last year? The "inside scoop" was the GSII wasn't coming until January because of Apple lawsuits. Anybody with a reasonable amount of experience with ATT knows the retail employees know nothing. In fact, you are lucky to find those who could tell you the differences between the ATT SGSII, Skyrocket, or Note.

They will probably just try to sell you an iPhone instead.

Unless it comes with the A15 based Exynos, or S4 pro. I would wait for that phone.
    05-08-2012 10:25 PM

I wouldn't bank on that.
    05-08-2012 10:31 PM
    I wouldn't bank on that.
    Agreed, he is probably basing that on last year's experience because he wanted to give an answer but didn't have a clue. Should have asked him what processor is in it, and if he would have said quad core, you'd know he is clueless.
    05-09-2012 01:07 AM
    I'm counting on Sprint, they always have the best version of the phone.
    05-09-2012 04:23 PM
    My guess is the AT&T, Sprint, and TMO versions will be out in June and Verizon will bring up the rear around the holidays with the GS3 masquerading as the Droid Charge 2 and will be buggy as heck and overloaded with bloat.
    05-09-2012 07:58 PM
    Att just cancelled plans to release the Skyrocket HD. I would take that as an indication that we'll see the SGIII on Att real soon
    05-09-2012 08:28 PM
    A friend that works for Verizon told me last night the GS3 is coming to verizon in June...
    Hopefully that's the truth.
    05-10-2012 11:42 AM
    A friend that works for Verizon told me last night the GS3 is coming to verizon in June...
    Hopefully that's the truth.
    Is that based on something he heard from his higher ups, or from what he read on the interwebs?
    05-10-2012 12:30 PM
    Att just cancelled plans to release the Skyrocket HD. I would take that as an indication that we'll see the SGIII on Att real soon
    Hope so. June or even a little later if they can wrangle in a S4 pro or Exynos 5 series.
    Either way I am at the door when they open, cash in hand.
    05-10-2012 12:33 PM
    Is that based on something he heard from his higher ups, or from what he read on the interwebs?
    she confirmed today saying distrist manager said 3rd quarter..sooo maybe not June after all, but atleast it does sound promising that it will be coming to verizon.
    05-10-2012 01:37 PM
    Remember last year? The "inside scoop" was the GSII wasn't coming until January because of Apple lawsuits. Anybody with a reasonable amount of experience with ATT knows the retail employees know nothing. In fact, you are lucky to find those who could tell you the differences between the ATT SGSII, Skyrocket, or Note.

They will probably just try to sell you an iPhone instead.

Unless it comes with the A15 based Exynos, or S4 pro. I would wait for that phone.
    While I agree their employees are not trained very well, I know for a fact that they try to push everything except iPhone. Probably due to the sheer fact that it sells itself (not because its good but because everybody and their mother has one...must be good right?).

I recently was told to apply there after talking to one of their reps. I told her I had considered it but I hate Apple with a passion and refuse to sell their garbage but she said that was actually good as they are trying to push Android and WP.
    05-10-2012 02:26 PM
    she confirmed today saying distrist manager said 3rd quarter..sooo maybe not June after all, but atleast it does sound promising that it will be coming to verizon.
    3rd quarter? Yikes. Hope Sprint gets it earlier. 3rd quarter is September, isn't it?

I would love to know why the US carriers and Samsung are so secretive about when it will come out here. On one hand it seems like the hardware is already set in stone, on the other hand they are being vague. Is it because they don't know how long their testing takes? Is it a chess game as to who paid more to get it first?

Why does it have to be so difficult? Is it because they want to give HTC a chance to sell their phone first, after all, besides the tech blogs, you didn't hear anything about the GS3 in the news, so people that aren't normal like us and search for information won't even know it exists until it's in the store.
    05-10-2012 02:26 PM
    Blame the US carriers - absolutely the most anti-consumer in the world. They spend months trying to add boatware and restrictions, change the phone to remove features, match their branding, and delay it for marketing reasons. Verizon is the worst at Android, and Sprint is the best.
    05-10-2012 02:32 PM
    3rd quarter? Yikes. Hope Sprint gets it earlier. 3rd quarter is September, isn't it?

I would love to know why the US carriers and Samsung are so secretive about when it will come out here. On one hand it seems like the hardware is already set in stone, on the other hand they are being vague. Is it because they don't know how long their testing takes? Is it a chess game as to who paid more to get it first?

Why does it have to be so difficult? Is it because they want to give HTC a chance to sell their phone first, after all, besides the tech blogs, you didn't hear anything about the GS3 in the news, so people that aren't normal like us and search for information won't even know it exists until it's in the store.
    Not necessarily as many companies have different year end/start meaning quarter 3 could be june or could be january.

Edit: Sorry if I am wrong.
    05-10-2012 02:40 PM
    1Q - Jan, Feb, Mar
    2Q - Apr, May, Jun
    3Q - Jul, Aug, Sep
    4Q - Oct, Nov, Dec

When a company announces the availability they almost always use the above generic time frames, as far as I know. If not they would have to call it "fiscal 3Q" to imply it was not the natural 3Q.

Many companies (including the US Government), however, do not start their year on Jan 1 and end on Dec 31. When this is the case, it's called their "fiscal" implying that they are on their own schedule. A fiscal quarter, therefore, could be any part of the year. Their year end date would then be their fiscal year end. etc. etc.

Fiscal year - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    05-10-2012 05:04 PM
    3q starts in July.

With the Olympics starting end of July and the SIII being the official phone I would bet that every carrier will have this phone by then.
    05-10-2012 05:54 PM
    I need a June release on Sprint or I'll probably get the E4GLTE (which I would rather not do. After June I dont really have a choice. I can only be patient so much)
    05-10-2012 06:08 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD