Closer Look And Hands-On With The Samsung Galaxy S III - Already The Most Interesting Phone Of The Year So Far, And We're Only Just Scratching The Surface

Lots of details about the smart features, learnt about some new ones like pausing with your palm.

What I find worrying is this -

"It can take literally 2-3 seconds for the display to wake up when you press the power button, which is absolutely unacceptable. I can't believe Samsung hasn't fixed this problem - in contrast, HTC always reacts immediately - even the original EVO 4G screen-on time beats the S III every time. Seriously, guys, fix it. It's embarrassing"

I've seen this in the videos of the S3, didn't know all Galaxy phones had this delay.
    05-09-2012 10:02 PM
    The more I learn about the software features in TouchWiz, the less I care about the screen tech, plastic vs metal and camera wars!
    05-09-2012 10:14 PM
    The more I learn about the software features in TouchWiz, the less I care about the screen tech, plastic vs metal and camera wars!
    Agreed, I don't know if those features are enough to win me over from the one x, but it will be a close one
    05-09-2012 10:37 PM
    I've seen this in the videos of the S3, didn't know all Galaxy phones had this delay.
    My skyrocket immediately turns on the moment i press the button. never seen even a second long delay....
    05-09-2012 11:44 PM
    You know I wasn't a fan of the phone from the early press release photos but its either growing on me or it looks better in these images.
    05-09-2012 11:46 PM
    I have a GS1 Epic 4G and it wakes up as soon as I press the power button. Don't know why you guys think its all Galaxy phones.
    05-10-2012 12:33 AM
    I've never owned a Samsung Galaxy phone but I've read about this delay. Just trying to find out if its common.
    05-10-2012 12:35 AM
    I like my tbolt
    05-10-2012 12:37 AM
    I have never had a delay. People, I'm sure the software isn't final yet. Geesh. The One X is released, have you checked out its flaws already?
    05-10-2012 07:21 AM
    Wow. More "reviews" of unfinished software. That's good stuff.
    05-10-2012 09:42 AM
    I have no delay issues with the power button on my GS2.

I love this quote "let six of these bad boys out to play for a few hours at Mobile Focus last night, which finally satisfied my cravings (though they had to pry them from my hands - the fingers just wouldn't let go). "

I can't remember the last time I heard a reviewer say that about a phone.
    05-10-2012 09:49 AM
    Well it looks pretty incredible to me though I was told by an independent wireless sales guy that we won't have the phone here until October (ATT).. Not sure I want to wait that long especially since there are new phones coming out every week and Amazon just dropped the price on the Skyrocket to $60!! I have a feeling it's going to go lower, so not sure if all the bells and whistles along with the long wait will be worth it.. Hmmmmm.
    05-10-2012 02:43 PM
    It would be nice if you guys who are hearing "October" and "November" for the SIII, you have post something in writing. "Independent wireless sales guys" (I bursted into laughter writing that) are not reliable sources. Everyone is excited about the upcoming release of the SIII and most people will believe anything they hear on these threads. It's not fair to them to just throw info out there like that.
    05-10-2012 03:43 PM
    It's coming out in three weeks. How much different could it possibly be? It's not even called a review by that site. Simply a deeper look at some software features. Heck, the title says they are barely scratching the surface. Those features are almost certainly shipping quality, and if not, you can simply ignore any hiccups. I highly doubt anything new will be added, or taken away. Not sure why you would be so dismissive if the article. I learned some stuff I hadn't seen anywhere else (including Android Central). I hope that it's just because you didn't even open it, and judged entirely based on the OP in this thread.
    05-11-2012 03:50 PM
    From that video linked I didn't notice more than a split second lag. They guy missed the button more times than he actually hit it. Not sure if some of you are counting those as delay. But when he does actually hit the button the screen takes less than a second to come on. First time about a second(I'm guess because the phone was turning on the news feature), and the second time he hit it was instant.
    05-11-2012 06:16 PM
    Well with any luck, we'll know the REAL story about which carrier is getting it first, when and and at what price! I sure hope it's not $299.99 on contract though. While I think it's a VERY cool looking phone with some amazing features, the Skyrocket isn't THAT far away and will likely be free or nearly free once they announce the details.

And then there's the thing with brand new devices and QC control. From what I'm seeing on the One X forum, the QC in manufacturing is all over the map as are the software problems they're having. I guess the attractive thing about the Skyrocket is that it seems more stable though the latest software update seems to be causing problems, LOL.
    05-11-2012 07:08 PM
    Jon, I have a Skyrocket. My suggestion is WAIT! Nice phone, but not without issues.
    Higher res alone is worth the wait.
    05-12-2012 02:46 AM
    Jon, I have a Skyrocket. My suggestion is WAIT! Nice phone, but not without issues.
    Higher res alone is worth the wait.
    +1. The skyrocket was a great phone until I saw the resolution on the Galaxy Note...once you go HD, it is hard to go back to 480 x 800...
    05-12-2012 11:57 AM
    Closer Look And Hands-On With The Samsung Galaxy S III - Already The Most Interesting Phone Of The Year So Far, And We're Only Just Scratching The Surface

Lots of details about the smart features, learnt about some new ones like pausing with your palm.

What I find worrying is this -

"It can take literally 2-3 seconds for the display to wake up when you press the power button, which is absolutely unacceptable. I can't believe Samsung hasn't fixed this problem - in contrast, HTC always reacts immediately - even the original EVO 4G screen-on time beats the S III every time. Seriously, guys, fix it. It's embarrassing"

The galaxy nexus I had had similar issues where sometimes I would hit the power button and the screen wouldn't wake up or if it did it would take awhile. Samsung seems to be skipping lately on certain things such as that and the radios they use are downright awful.
    05-12-2012 12:32 PM
    Every samsung device is unfinished software and the same can be said for pretty much every android phone....
    05-12-2012 12:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD