The question is simple. Do you wish the home button stayed on the US version or do you wish a soft touch homebutton?

Please explain why you prefer your choice.
    05-12-2012 02:17 PM
    I like capacitive buttons. Physical buttons can get jammed up, stop working.
    05-12-2012 02:50 PM
    I like capacitive buttons. Physical buttons can get jammed up, stop working.
    +1. I have both models of Galaxy Note and while I love the unlocked, bloatware free, faster updates of the International, I must say I like the capacitive buttons of the US versions better. I do like the fact that you can use the home button to activate from sleep, but I always worry about crud getting in or jamming the button. It is also mechanical so I guess I jut feel like it will eventually break versus the capacitive buttons, just my opinion.
    05-12-2012 04:21 PM
    IMO i like the home button.. i guess im just used to it. in my experience, capacitive buttons are not as pleasent as physical home button
    05-12-2012 06:22 PM
    I like the home button as well just because you can do alot more with it in my opinion. For instance you might root and be able to double click for task manager, hold for SVoice, wake up the screen, and potentially much more.Capacitive buttons are nice, soft and sexy though!
    Pengwn and neiljay6 like this.
    05-13-2012 01:37 AM
    After using the Gnex since day 1, I'm quite attached to the on screen keys. Just having the ability to set them up how I want them is the exactly what android is all about, customization. That being said, I'm giving my Gnex to my little sister and will be picking up the GS3 if I like it enough over the Gnex. I just wish the US carriers go with onscreen keys. Doubtful I'm sure (f they plan for a June launch) as it would require a redesign.

I'll most likely take the leap and get the GS3 so I guess I'll just have to get use to using a physical home button. I like the idea for setting the different tasks to the home button though..
    05-13-2012 01:56 AM
    Other than waking up the phone, things like long press/double tap are faster with capacitive buttons. Try using an Android phone which has physical keys for everything (back, menu etc) and its slower to use than capacitive.

What is annoying is Samsung was forced to make it non-centered just to avoid bogus Apple lawsuits.
    05-13-2012 04:13 AM
    Well my Fascinate still gets the phantom key presses when in low 3G signal areas even on an ICS ROM.
    05-13-2012 09:57 AM
    Other than waking up the phone, things like long press/double tap are faster with capacitive buttons. Try using an Android phone which has physical keys for everything (back, menu etc) and its slower to use than capacitive.

What is annoying is Samsung was forced to make it non-centered just to avoid bogus Apple lawsuits.
    What? It's centered. I also have no clue what you mean by slower. I don't like such blanket statements. They are never as blanket the perspn making the statement believes. I find physical buttons faster. They make it easier to wake the device, and they have a tactility I enjoy.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums
    05-13-2012 12:58 PM
    I'm quite used to the physical button from my iPod Touch, but I love the idea of the touch buttons because of the amount of junk that surrounds my button. I have to go in with a toothpick sometimes to clean it out.

Holding the home button for S Voice is an option yes. But do not for get "Hi Galaxy." Oh look, the screen is awake and S Voice is talking to you. Just a thought

I like the home button as well just because you can do alot more with it in my opinion. For instance you might root and be able to double click for task manager, hold for SVoice, wake up the screen, and potentially much more.Capacitive buttons are nice, soft and sexy though!
    05-13-2012 02:54 PM
    Coming from a nexus user, the on screen touch home screen is a sleek design and very customizeable, but it gets frustrating after a while. My finger misses the space bar sometimes when texting and brings me back to the home screen. Experience may vary. Would rather have a physical button to wake my phone up, rather than hitting the volume buttons thinking I'm hitting the power.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    05-13-2012 03:35 PM
    What? It's centered. I also have no clue what you mean by slower. I don't like such blanket statements. They are never as blanket the perspn making the statement believes. I find physical buttons faster. They make it easier to wake the device, and they have a tactility I enjoy.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums
    It is not centered vertically in the area beneath the screen. All 3 buttons are closer to the lower edge.
    05-13-2012 04:28 PM
    I like the button to be honest...would be fine without it as well but I like it and hope it stays for the NA version
    05-14-2012 09:02 AM
    I like the button to be honest...would be fine without it as well but I like it and hope it stays for the NA version
    I like the concept of a physical home button too but US verisons of the GS1 and GS2 didnt have it so the GS3 will likely follow suite.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    05-14-2012 09:06 AM
    I like the concept of a physical home button too but US verisons of the GS1 and GS2 didnt have it so the GS3 will likely follow suite.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    I think you are correct in that regard
    05-14-2012 10:08 AM
    I would prefer all soft touch buttons. I guess I just prefer the look and think the weird looking home button looks... well, lets just say I don't like the look.
    05-14-2012 07:44 PM
    I prefer a home button, more pronounced and easier to find. Also, I don't know where people keep their phones or what they do with them but I have never had to clean a home button, mine have always remained debris free.
    05-14-2012 08:32 PM
    Physical home button reminds me of my PALM PRE- days. Remember when Palm realized it was an appendage and yanked it in the plus version?

Yeah, I agree with Palm.
    S-Doo-1965 likes this.
    05-15-2012 12:12 AM
    After using the Gnex since day 1, I'm quite attached to the on screen keys. Just having the ability to set them up how I want them is the exactly what android is all about, customization. That being said, I'm giving my Gnex to my little sister and will be picking up the GS3 if I like it enough over the Gnex. I just wish the US carriers go with onscreen keys. Doubtful I'm sure (f they plan for a June launch) as it would require a redesign.

I'll most likely take the leap and get the GS3 so I guess I'll just have to get use to using a physical home button. I like the idea for setting the different tasks to the home button though..
    Hate the gnex buttons with a passion.

05-15-2012 12:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD