09-06-2012 09:52 AM
239 12345 ...
tools
    Sorry, but it's hard to take you seriously after you write the words touchwiz, user friendly and enjoyable in the same sentence. But let's get one thing straight. Blackberry has had it's head up it's *** for years, I agree. They developed a few awesome features and tried to ride them for all they were worth. But QNX is absolutely amazing. It's totally out of android's league. It smoothly runs android apps INSIDE it's own environment. And as Mr. Heinz will happily tell you, the BB10 device is a beast. It's quad core, and they are looking to put the first ever 64 bit CPU in a phone. Take a look at a few of the features in BB10. It's going to rock, and they are taking their time to make it a masterpiece. If the management at RIM didn't have reason to believed that BB10 would rock the market, they would just sell the company. And they're not stupid, they've been in the game since long before iOS or android were ever thought up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Yeah I will believe it when I see it. First delay just before Hiens took over was because they waiting for new low power consumption lte chip set. Now its polishing the final product. If their was such a thing like a 64bit quad core android would have it first through sammy or htc. Also if Rim is promising great battery life they wont be pairing that great screen with your imaginary cpu unless. 1) they build a thick brick no one will want to buy to hold massive battery or 2) pre pair to charge your BB 3 times a day.

Face reality android is far ahead of the competition even ios. That rim will be lucky to be in the same game let alone the same league. I was like you once praising BB to be the best till I tried android and let me tell you no comparison. My android lets me get sh#t done, my BB hindered me. Rim is blowing smoke up peoples butts. It time for them to sh#t up and just do it and show what it has. I highly doubt this one device is going to turn RIM around. It will take another 3 to 5 years to even be a serious contender again in USA. Only reason Rim has world market share is because of low end curves in developing countries cause they are cheap to get and use.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    07-20-2012 10:22 AM
    Each OS platform does one or more things very weill and meets a specific need or preference. We all have to honest about the challenges that each OS platform faces.

RIM usually drops under-powered processors and inadequate RAM by today's standards and browsers that are a step behind but manages to squeeze every ounce of performance and still maximize battery life in spite of these obstacles. Their focus has been on their proprietary communications platform and only recently did the overall UX get any attention. It looked like that RIM was assembling the necessary pieces by acquisition and joint ventures to address the consumer side of the business. Hence, their market share has dropped sharply over the last few years.

Apple iOS is also a very good device that meets the need of those that want performance but are not wanting to customize. This ecosystem is more highly restrictive and seems to have peaked a couple of iterations ago with only modest hardware tweaks to pass it off as a next gen device. IMO, the philosophy seems like "we know better than you what you need or want" and "take or leave it".

RIM, iOS and Android seem to inspire fanatical fanboys who can't seem to evolve to be more open to different OS platforms and to acknowledge the shortcomings of their own platforms.

Having only been an Android owner, I don't have enough experience to offer anything more than what I have learned over the past month. Android and Samsung in particular seem more in tune with the importance of a highly focused UX driven device. I really don't miss anything from my Torch that would make me revert back. The communications platform and LED customization are things that miss. The LED customization will be addressed when Lightflow is modified to be compatible with the GS3. The email and Gmail apps seem to handle things a little differently that I have been accustomed to with RIM. Android battery life is not what I have been used to but is still not very bad.
    07-20-2012 01:41 PM
    If you had a realistic idea of what it will take just to re-gain market share, you should know better that it will take more than one great device. RIM will have to catch up first before it can the lead.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S III Handheld Device
    They're still the #1 phone in the UK (most owned smartphone) and have 70+ million users worldwide and elsewhere it's still the phone of choice for many professionals. According to their stats they still have more than 90 percent of their corporate business, and you can bet your *** all of them will upgrade their employees to BB10.

The media may publish a bunch of nasty articles about RIM, but they still have 4 billion in the bank and a huge user base. They,ll dominate corporate without even having to try, and if the first BB10 devices get a good critique from reviewers, I'm willing to bet you all the Blackberry users who've migrated to other platforms will at the least seriously consider going back. I mean it runs android apps for hecks sake. RIM may take a while to get anywhere near Apple or Google in consumer market share (at least in America) but you better believe that they aren't going anywhere.

07-20-2012 02:37 PM
    Yeah I will believe it when I see it. First delay just before Hiens took over was because they waiting for new low power consumption lte chip set. Now its polishing the final product. If their was such a thing like a 64bit quad core android would have it first through sammy or htc. Also if Rim is promising great battery life they wont be pairing that great screen with your imaginary cpu unless. 1) they build a thick brick no one will want to buy to hold massive battery or 2) pre pair to charge your BB 3 times a day.

Face reality android is far ahead of the competition even ios. That rim will be lucky to be in the same game let alone the same league. I was like you once praising BB to be the best till I tried android and let me tell you no comparison. My android lets me get sh#t done, my BB hindered me. Rim is blowing smoke up peoples butts. It time for them to sh#t up and just do it and show what it has. I highly doubt this one device is going to turn RIM around. It will take another 3 to 5 years to even be a serious contender again in USA. Only reason Rim has world market share is because of low end curves in developing countries cause they are cheap to get and use.

Rim has confirmed a quad core CPU at least in the touch version, and several devs have talked about work they've been doing on a 64 bit project. Google doesn't always get the best stuff. RIM's QNX base for BB10 is way more powerful than Android. I think even Jerry would probably agree. I mean for goodness sake it can run android apps inside it without a stutter and it's a massively different software ecosystem. I think judging what BB10 will be like from your precious experience to BB is like trying to compare windows 95 to Windows 7. It's a whole different league, son.

07-20-2012 02:46 PM
    At the end of the day good specs for a Bb phone doesn't matter... its the app gap that is made people like me move... they either will get developers on board or they won't... and I think if they do it won't b instant so maybe by the end of next year it may have some of the major stuff that I myself needed but now have on android. The lag of getting these apps might make even more people leave who knows

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
    07-20-2012 03:02 PM
    I was a longtime reader of Crackberry, but never a member. I just frequently found posts there that helped when I was having issues with my Blackberry devices. I just jumped from the clearly sinking H.M.S. Blackberry after four years with RIM (Curve 8830, then Bold 9700), and last week became the proud owner of a Galaxy SIII.

My Bold 9700 was just becoming too laggy and slow, with RIM constantly pushing OS updates that their older devices couldn't handle (I think I was running BB OS 7 at the end). I'd frequently have to wait 5 seconds or longer after waking up my phone before it would become responsive. When I went shopping for new phones, the specs on the Android phones were just head and shoulders above the available Blackberry handsets, and the day I was going to go into my local Verizon store to pick up a Droid Razor MAX, pre-orders opened up for the SIII. The choice was clear, and I waited an extra month with my Bold to get what looked to be a far superior phone. I got my SIII last Monday, and have since been playing with it, tweaking it, and trying to transfer every last bit of info from my Blackberry.

I have to say, I was a little disappointed that neither the Verizon contact backup utility nor Google Sync seem to be able to bring over the pictures from my contact list, so I'll likely lose those. And there are a few other things my Blackberry could do that I have yet to discover how to implement on my SIII (which I'll probably be starting a thread about soon, so I can get some help from the experts!). But overall, I'm very happy... this phone is so blazing fast, and can do so many things my Bold couldn't. I do miss my tactile keyboard, and I don't know if I'll ever be able to type as fast on a touchscreen as I could on my Bold (I was a mad typist on that thing!) but SwiftKey is making the transition a lot less painful.
    07-20-2012 04:12 PM
    Won't call it coming over.more like expanding my scope since I still rock my bb and still a regular on crackberry

07-20-2012 04:29 PM
    They're still the #1 phone in the UK (most owned smartphone) and have 70+ million users worldwide and elsewhere it's still the phone of choice for many professionals. According to their stats they still have more than 90 percent of their corporate business, and you can bet your *** all of them will upgrade their employees to BB10.

The media may publish a bunch of nasty articles about RIM, but they still have 4 billion in the bank and a huge user base. They,ll dominate corporate without even having to try, and if the first BB10 devices get a good critique from reviewers, I'm willing to bet you all the Blackberry users who've migrated to other platforms will at the least seriously consider going back. I mean it runs android apps for hecks sake. RIM may take a while to get anywhere near Apple or Google in consumer market share (at least in America) but you better believe that they aren't going anywhere.

I have no desire to get into a protracted and pointless debate. The reality of the moment is that RIM market share of the global market both consumer and business markets is rapidly deteriorating,more prominently in the consumer arena but also a quickly accelerating downward trend in the corporate environment. RIM does produce high-quality devices but, at present, are not as competitive. At present, BB10 devices have not been released yet so until it happens the discussion is pointless. Laying off employees and exploring the possibility of carving up the company to spin them off is not a good sign Hardware Vendors and app developers aren't exactly beating down their door. BB10 devices will be released overseas first which if that release slips pushes the US release making a difficult uphill climb more difficult. Grow up and stop being such a fanboy.
    07-20-2012 04:32 PM
    Rim has confirmed a quad core CPU at least in the touch version, and several devs have talked about work they've been doing on a 64 bit project. Google doesn't always get the best stuff. RIM's QNX base for BB10 is way more powerful than Android. I think even Jerry would probably agree. I mean for goodness sake it can run android apps inside it without a stutter and it's a massively different software ecosystem. I think judging what BB10 will be like from your precious experience to BB is like trying to compare windows 95 to Windows 7. It's a whole different league, son.

I am not arguing that BB10 wont be an amazing device. All I am stating is that it wont out compete android because of a lack of proper ecosystem and because android jelly bean does most of what BB10 will do just in a different way. If you think RIM will comeback in full force with one phone or two. Not going to happen it will take years in the US anyways to start taking back share from android and ios. Also when it comes to investors and stock. They don't care how well the product does over seas but at home in the US. So please don't use your UK and international argument. Means nothing. Like I said I hope RIM comes back with full force but not going to happen magically overnight.

07-20-2012 05:51 PM
    At the end of the day good specs for a Bb phone doesn't matter... its the app gap that is made people like me move... they either will get developers on board or they won't... and I think if they do it won't b instant so maybe by the end of next year it may have some of the major stuff that I myself needed but now have on android. The lag of getting these apps might make even more people leave who knows

But BB10 RUNS Android apps, so you'll have the best of both worlds. They get all the goodies of Android for free thanks to android being open source.

07-21-2012 01:27 AM
    I have no desire to get into a protracted and pointless debate. The reality of the moment is that RIM market share of the global market both consumer and business markets is rapidly deteriorating,more prominently in the consumer arena but also a quickly accelerating downward trend in the corporate environment. RIM does produce high-quality devices but, at present, are not as competitive. At present, BB10 devices have not been released yet so until it happens the discussion is pointless. Laying off employees and exploring the possibility of carving up the company to spin them off is not a good sign Hardware Vendors and app developers aren't exactly beating down their door. BB10 devices will be released overseas first which if that release slips pushes the US release making a difficult uphill climb more difficult. Grow up and stop being such a fanboy.
    They still have 90+ percent of their their corporate clients, which was most of their business anyway.. No other company has put forth a viable alternative to BES and blackberry security. And remember it runs Android apps, so even without a lot of app support (and they have some) it will have access to all the goodness of Google. And FYI, RIM has never planned on carving up it's company, that was just conjecture by the media about what they think RIM should do.

It's kind of funny you calling me a fanboy as I use a HTC One X as a daily driver, have a S3 as a backup and am typing this on my Nexus 7. The fact is that I use the best that's available. If you actually had a good understanding of software, you would know that QNX (the base of BB10) is simply is simply more powerful and has greater potential than android.

07-21-2012 01:37 AM
    I also came over from crackberry. Enjoyed bb while it lasted and if bb10 is worth it I will go back. 9930 just was kinda outdated.
    07-21-2012 07:03 AM
    Im a former bb user of many years. First bb being the 7310 and the last one being the 9700 series. I've also used windows, iphones, and sidekick devices. I have to say that android has to be my favorite so far. :thumbup::thumbup:

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G Touch
    07-21-2012 07:16 AM
    They still have 90+ percent of their their corporate clients, which was most of their business anyway.. No other company has put forth a viable alternative to BES and blackberry security. And remember it runs Android apps, so even without a lot of app support (and they have some) it will have access to all the goodness of Google. And FYI, RIM has never planned on carving up it's company, that was just conjecture by the media about what they think RIM should do.

True however. With ios and android starting to get into enterprise how long will that last for RIM. But I think the true up and coming champ of enterprise will be windows with win8. If its true that win8 is seamless between all devices running it from phones to computers to tablets as they will all be running the exact same os with exactly the same kernel. I can see windows having 90% of enterprise market share in a few years. They already have that in enterprise today in pc world. I want Rim to be a huge success but with all of their delays and mistakes of the last 3 years just might of finished them of as a viable power in the mobile spice.

07-21-2012 08:37 AM

It's kind of funny you calling me a fanboy as I use a HTC One X as a daily driver, have a S3 as a backup and am typing this on my Nexus 7. The fact is that I use the best that's available. If you actually had a good understanding of software, you would know that QNX (the base of BB10) is simply is simply more powerful and has greater potential than android.

Why the continued personal attacks on my knowledge of smartphone hardware and software? Where are the sources for your 90 percent corporate market share?

I agree that their corporate market share still dominates any other OS platform. I agree that QNX has great potential. The REALITY of the PRESENT discussion revolves around RIM users who have decided not to wait for BB10 devices and want to give another OS platform a try, myself among them.

My comments are based upon MY perception of your comments that seem to present someone who has an extensive amount of experience with RIM devices and still is a fan of their devices. I still have RIM devices and would advocate any models that have been released and will be in the FUTURE.

I am by no means a smartphone expert but just an enthusiastic and interested observer. Having owned RIM devices since 2006, I have seen the release of some great devices, some released on time, some not. Some of these devices could have had better processors, more RAM and better browsers. The latest models have made huge strides in being more consumer focused. Again, the REALITY is that these devices were grossly underpowered and whose design and performance did not push the envelope. This has caused their OVERALL market share to badly deteriorate.

This OVERALL market share is the REALITY that drives the marketplace and the scope of the uphill climb that RIM has to overcome BEFORE they can potentially re-take their lost market share in both the consumer and corporate market share. Even if BB10 devices with QNX reveal a game changing device, in the short-term, RIM will have only gotten themselves back in the game. RIM is also pursuing a future that involves an indirect footprint as part of other platforms and laying off a large chunk of their workforce, which are not a good sign. Samsung is pursuing a BES platform that could rival RIM and is not the only manufacturer that is trying. Who is to say that they will not be successful at producing a competitive BES deployment.

Good or bad. My posts have never been intended to portray myself a subject matter expert, far from it. They have only been my impressions that are part of an objective and respectful exchange of ideas and opinions. In two posts, you have made two attempts to disparage my comments as being those of the village *****. Apparently, you have not realized that I have remained civil in spite of your replies to my responses, none of which were personally disparaging to you and only my perceived reaction to them. If I have wrongly reflected your intentions, this was definitely not my intention.
    07-21-2012 08:54 AM
    Still a Crackberry member and Blackberry user after all this time, will probably be till BB10 hits...
    07-21-2012 08:54 AM

Totally off this topic (no thanks needed) but why do you have a "daily driver" and a "back up"?
    07-21-2012 09:21 AM
    I've 'moved' from CrackBerry years ago
    07-21-2012 09:35 AM
    I've 'moved' from CrackBerry years ago
    Would you mind articulating the reasons for your move?
    07-21-2012 09:47 AM
    I've moved back from CrackBerry. Since 2008, I've gone dumb phone, BB Pearl 8130, Curve 8330, Storm 1, Palm Pre, SGS i9000M, HTC Desire Z, back to the i9000M, iPhone 4, BB Bold 9900, and now
    back to Android with the SGS3. Couldn't be happier. I've sold all of the other phones as I've upgraded hut I'm keeping by iphone as a backup. I'm looking at BB10 with curiosity as I want RIM to succeed in the end, and the previews look fantastic, but Thorsten definitely needs to earn back some trust.

The best thing RIM ever did was oust Balsillie and Lazaridis.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    ynomrah likes this.
    07-21-2012 09:57 AM
    BB fan here. Although move to android a month ago. I am very happy with it. Not going back to BB. Android rocks!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    07-21-2012 11:11 AM
    And as Mr. Heinz will happily tell you, the BB10 device is a beast. It's quad core, and they are looking to put the first ever 64 bit CPU in a phone. Take a look at a few of the features in BB10. It's going to rock, and they are taking their time to make it a masterpiece. If the management at RIM didn't have reason to believed that BB10 would rock the market, they would just sell the company.
    I have to ask....what do you think Heins is going to say? That his device really sucks and RIM will be bankrupt by Labor Day? Of course he's going to say it's gonna be amazing. Lastly, RIM has not one, but two banks shopping the company right now. There is even money we will never see BB10, and RIM will be a division of another Company by Christmas.

I love my BB 9900 and Playbook, and I will probably take a chance on BB10 when it is released.Rooting for RIM to make it, but let's not trivialize what RIM has in front of it.
    07-21-2012 11:35 AM
    I have to ask....what do you think Heins is going to say? That his device really sucks and RIM will be bankrupt by Labor Day? Of course he's going to say it's gonna be amazing. Lastly, RIM has not one, but two banks shopping the company right now. There is even money we will never see BB10, and RIM will be a division of another Company by Christmas.

I love my BB 9900 and Playbook, and I will probably take a chance on BB10 when it is released.Rooting for RIM to make it, but let's not trivialize what RIM has in front of it.
    Thank god a BB user that lives in reality. I totally have the same view.

07-21-2012 03:17 PM
    Why the continued personal attacks on my knowledge of smartphone hardware and software? Where are the sources for your 90 percent corporate market share?

I agree that their corporate market share still dominates any other OS platform. I agree that QNX has great potential. The REALITY of the PRESENT discussion revolves around RIM users who have decided not to wait for BB10 devices and want to give another OS platform a try, myself among them.

My comments are based upon MY perception of your comments that seem to present someone who has an extensive amount of experience with RIM devices and still is a fan of their devices. I still have RIM devices and would advocate any models that have been released and will be in the FUTURE.

I am by no means a smartphone expert but just an enthusiastic and interested observer. Having owned RIM devices since 2006, I have seen the release of some great devices, some released on time, some not. Some of these devices could have had better processors, more RAM and better browsers. The latest models have made huge strides in being more consumer focused. Again, the REALITY is that these devices were grossly underpowered and whose design and performance did not push the envelope. This has caused their OVERALL market share to badly deteriorate.

This OVERALL market share is the REALITY that drives the marketplace and the scope of the uphill climb that RIM has to overcome BEFORE they can potentially re-take their lost market share in both the consumer and corporate market share. Even if BB10 devices with QNX reveal a game changing device, in the short-term, RIM will have only gotten themselves back in the game. RIM is also pursuing a future that involves an indirect footprint as part of other platforms and laying off a large chunk of their workforce, which are not a good sign. Samsung is pursuing a BES platform that could rival RIM and is not the only manufacturer that is trying. Who is to say that they will not be successful at producing a competitive BES deployment.

Good or bad. My posts have never been intended to portray myself a subject matter expert, far from it. They have only been my impressions that are part of an objective and respectful exchange of ideas and opinions. In two posts, you have made two attempts to disparage my comments as being those of the village *****. Apparently, you have not realized that I have remained civil in spite of your replies to my responses, none of which were personally disparaging to you and only my perceived reaction to them. If I have wrongly reflected your intentions, this was definitely not my intention.
    Nothing my post was a very personal at all and was certainly not intended to be. Please re-read what you quoted. I think you will find it far more civil than you calling me a biased fanboy.

The fact is that if BlackBerry simply kept the market share they have right now and never gained any more, they would never go broke, they just wouldn't make as much as they used to. To respond to your question, RIM mentioned that they maintain 90% of their corporate business in their shareholders conference call. Lying on one of those is a criminal offense.

To everyone who thinks RIM is on death's door, I would suggest you don't understand their financial situation, earnings and revenue in detail, and that you may have had your opinion influenced by the out-for-blood, anything for a story tech media.

Totally off this topic (no thanks needed) but why do you have a "daily driver" and a "back up"?
    Because I like to play with different phones? And what if one breaks? Plus I could avoid being biased when I put forth input on the One X vs S3 discussions.

07-21-2012 06:10 PM
    I was a MOD on CrackBerry, but at heart am a gadget guy. Hence I've not 'really' left CrackBerry per s but I try all Smartphones. Someone has to test them

Would you mind articulating the reasons for your move?
    07-21-2012 08:02 PM
239 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD