Anyone coming across from Crackberry?

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I love android and all, but I'll be ditching my one x/S3 for blackberry 10. It's going to be uber awesome. Used QNX for a while, the potential is massive.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I love android and all, but I'll be ditching my one x/S3 for blackberry 10. It's going to be uber awesome. Used QNX for a while, the potential is massive.

If BB10 lives up to its billing, I may take a look but I have owned enough RIM devices to see that there is sometimes more hype. Don't get me wrong. RIM does an excellent job of getting their OS to squeeze every ounce of performance with meager hardware. RIM has lost its focus on the UX, something Samsung has excelled at.Simply look at the number of RIM and Apple owners who are transitioning to Android. There is a reason that the Android OS is the most popular OS versus RIM and iOS. The TouchWiz skin that Samsung overlays on the OS make the device more user friendly and enjoyable.

Syrous44

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I used to use a blackberry. RIMM no longer has an advantage on anything anymore, BB10 has to be a major success for RIMM to make a comeback. but i doubt they are going to be able to "wow" anyone. People are hoping BB10 become a ground breaking revolution in technology which is going to end up in dissapointment, like any other hyped product or software.

Totally agree with. As a former BB and Crackberry crusader I too made the switch to android and I am very pleased. First of before I get into this I am still hoping Rim sticks around for years to come and gets customers. However to all the people here saying wait till BB10 hits its going to be revolutionary and the best. No its not here is way. From what i have seen of the 4 big sneak peeks with BB10, its going to be a leveling playing field with android and will be a bit better than ios. 1) the camera real cool timewarp feature, however win 8 will have this as nokia bought the company that created it. Also the GSIII with its 20 shot burst mode is practically same thing you pick the best picture. 2)swipe multi tasking and all apps running at the same time cause of gnx. Hello android ics and jelly bean have amazing multi tasking and run plenty of apps at same time. 3) keyboard. Not original its a cross between swiftkey 3 and Samsung's old swipe keyboard function. From watching the demo vids i can honestly say typing with swiftkey 3 is faster. 4) Notification bar or page. Sorry jelly bean notifications alot better and smoother.
The one major plus that Android has now with jelly bean is the google card feature and google voice which has been proven to be the sire killer, hence apple being sue happy on nexus devices. Case closed so how will BB10 be better. Its not it will finally be in the game but thats about it.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
RIM has a major advantage in its proprietary communications platform that is still the envy of the industry though Samsung is making a run at developing a similar platform. BB10 first as stated earlier needs to catch up and get back in the game then take the next step forward. The question remains whether the faithful can be drawn back in time.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
If BB10 lives up to its billing, I may take a look but I have owned enough RIM devices to see that there is sometimes more hype. Don't get me wrong. RIM does an excellent job of getting their OS to squeeze every ounce of performance with meager hardware. RIM has lost its focus on the UX, something Samsung has excelled at.Simply look at the number of RIM and Apple owners who are transitioning to Android. There is a reason that the Android OS is the most popular OS versus RIM and iOS. The TouchWiz skin that Samsung overlays on the OS make the device more user friendly and enjoyable.

Sorry, but it's hard to take you seriously after you write the words touchwiz, user friendly and enjoyable in the same sentence. But let's get one thing straight. Blackberry has had it's head up it's *** for years, I agree. They developed a few awesome features and tried to ride them for all they were worth. But QNX is absolutely amazing. It's totally out of android's league. It smoothly runs android apps INSIDE it's own environment. And as Mr. Heinz will happily tell you, the BB10 device is a beast. It's quad core, and they are looking to put the first ever 64 bit CPU in a phone. Take a look at a few of the features in BB10. It's going to rock, and they are taking their time to make it a masterpiece. If the management at RIM didn't have reason to believed that BB10 would rock the market, they would just sell the company. And they're not stupid, they've been in the game since long before iOS or android were ever thought up.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
If you had a realistic idea of what it will take just to re-gain market share, you should know better that it will take more than one great device. RIM will have to catch up first before it can the lead.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S III Handheld Device

BEARD GANG

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If you had a realistic idea of what it will take just to re-gain market share, you should know better that it will take more than one great device. RIM will have to catch up first before it can the lead.

Roger that

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Erievon

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm from Crackberry. Just visiting though, while I wait for BB10. Decided I can't knock it until I've tried it, so I've been test driving a Dinc2 for the last few months.

I'm not going to lie, I do enjoy Android much more then I thought I would, it's tasty Kool-Aid. My BB roots run deep though, so as long as BB10 lives up to it's hype, I plan on returning to it.

rjenkin41

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I recently got rid of my Blackberry - Blackberry is a good brand, but that's it.
RIM is years behind its competitors. Who knows what the future holds? But, if anything, RIM is a prime example of how a business should NOT be run. Extremely poor management and being "out of touch" with what the customer wants has led to RIM's deterioration in the market.

However, I do not believe RIM is going to tank by any means. On a global level, certainly not, and for the purposes of OS security - they are the best.

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but it's hard to take you seriously after you write the words touchwiz, user friendly and enjoyable in the same sentence. But let's get one thing straight. Blackberry has had it's head up it's *** for years, I agree. They developed a few awesome features and tried to ride them for all they were worth. But QNX is absolutely amazing. It's totally out of android's league. It smoothly runs android apps INSIDE it's own environment. And as Mr. Heinz will happily tell you, the BB10 device is a beast. It's quad core, and they are looking to put the first ever 64 bit CPU in a phone. Take a look at a few of the features in BB10. It's going to rock, and they are taking their time to make it a masterpiece. If the management at RIM didn't have reason to believed that BB10 would rock the market, they would just sell the company. And they're not stupid, they've been in the game since long before iOS or android were ever thought up.

And for all that, it will still have the one thing that will make it pale in comparison to Android ..a closed
ecosystem. The customization and openness of android is the reason for its success. It?s the reason why android is beginning to overtake ios and it's the reason why BB10 will not match or come close to it in popularity. That and the fact that it will be competing with a new iphone and a new Nexus phone will make it very tough for RIM. I wish RIM well, but I don?t see them replicating their past success.
Ps There are some people like me that actually like TW!! For me it is user friendly and enjoyable.

Syrous44

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I will believe it when I see it. First delay just before Hiens took over was because they waiting for new low power consumption lte chip set. Now its polishing the final product. If their was such a thing like a 64bit quad core android would have it first through sammy or htc. Also if Rim is promising great battery life they wont be pairing that great screen with your imaginary cpu unless. 1) they build a thick brick no one will want to buy to hold massive battery or 2) pre pair to charge your BB 3 times a day.

Face reality android is far ahead of the competition even ios. That rim will be lucky to be in the same game let alone the same league. I was like you once praising BB to be the best till I tried android and let me tell you no comparison. My android lets me get sh#t done, my BB hindered me. Rim is blowing smoke up peoples butts. It time for them to sh#t up and just do it and show what it has. I highly doubt this one device is going to turn RIM around. It will take another 3 to 5 years to even be a serious contender again in USA. Only reason Rim has world market share is because of low end curves in developing countries cause they are cheap to get and use.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Each OS platform does one or more things very weill and meets a specific need or preference. We all have to honest about the challenges that each OS platform faces.

RIM usually drops under-powered processors and inadequate RAM by today's standards and browsers that are a step behind but manages to squeeze every ounce of performance and still maximize battery life in spite of these obstacles. Their focus has been on their proprietary communications platform and only recently did the overall UX get any attention. It looked like that RIM was assembling the necessary pieces by acquisition and joint ventures to address the consumer side of the business. Hence, their market share has dropped sharply over the last few years.

Apple iOS is also a very good device that meets the need of those that want performance but are not wanting to customize. This ecosystem is more highly restrictive and seems to have peaked a couple of iterations ago with only modest hardware tweaks to pass it off as a next gen device. IMO, the philosophy seems like "we know better than you what you need or want" and "take or leave it".

RIM, iOS and Android seem to inspire fanatical fanboys who can't seem to evolve to be more open to different OS platforms and to acknowledge the shortcomings of their own platforms.

Having only been an Android owner, I don't have enough experience to offer anything more than what I have learned over the past month. Android and Samsung in particular seem more in tune with the importance of a highly focused UX driven device. I really don't miss anything from my Torch that would make me revert back. The communications platform and LED customization are things that miss. The LED customization will be addressed when Lightflow is modified to be compatible with the GS3. The email and Gmail apps seem to handle things a little differently that I have been accustomed to with RIM. Android battery life is not what I have been used to but is still not very bad.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site

They're still the #1 phone in the UK (most owned smartphone) and have 70+ million users worldwide and elsewhere it's still the phone of choice for many professionals. According to their stats they still have more than 90 percent of their corporate business, and you can bet your *** all of them will upgrade their employees to BB10.

The media may publish a bunch of nasty articles about RIM, but they still have 4 billion in the bank and a huge user base. They,ll dominate corporate without even having to try, and if the first BB10 devices get a good critique from reviewers, I'm willing to bet you all the Blackberry users who've migrated to other platforms will at the least seriously consider going back. I mean it runs android apps for hecks sake. RIM may take a while to get anywhere near Apple or Google in consumer market share (at least in America) but you better believe that they aren't going anywhere.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I will believe it when I see it. First delay just before Hiens took over was because they waiting for new low power consumption lte chip set. Now its polishing the final product. If their was such a thing like a 64bit quad core android would have it first through sammy or htc. Also if Rim is promising great battery life they wont be pairing that great screen with your imaginary cpu unless. 1) they build a thick brick no one will want to buy to hold massive battery or 2) pre pair to charge your BB 3 times a day.

Face reality android is far ahead of the competition even ios. That rim will be lucky to be in the same game let alone the same league. I was like you once praising BB to be the best till I tried android and let me tell you no comparison. My android lets me get sh#t done, my BB hindered me. Rim is blowing smoke up peoples butts. It time for them to sh#t up and just do it and show what it has. I highly doubt this one device is going to turn RIM around. It will take another 3 to 5 years to even be a serious contender again in USA. Only reason Rim has world market share is because of low end curves in developing countries cause they are cheap to get and use.

Rim has confirmed a quad core CPU at least in the touch version, and several devs have talked about work they've been doing on a 64 bit project. Google doesn't always get the best stuff. RIM's QNX base for BB10 is way more powerful than Android. I think even Jerry would probably agree. I mean for goodness sake it can run android apps inside it without a stutter and it's a massively different software ecosystem. I think judging what BB10 will be like from your precious experience to BB is like trying to compare windows 95 to Windows 7. It's a whole different league, son.

BEARD GANG

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
At the end of the day good specs for a Bb phone doesn't matter... its the app gap that is made people like me move... they either will get developers on board or they won't... and I think if they do it won't b instant so maybe by the end of next year it may have some of the major stuff that I myself needed but now have on android. The lag of getting these apps might make even more people leave who knows

fiduch

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I was a longtime reader of Crackberry, but never a member. I just frequently found posts there that helped when I was having issues with my Blackberry devices. I just jumped from the clearly sinking H.M.S. Blackberry after four years with RIM (Curve 8830, then Bold 9700), and last week became the proud owner of a Galaxy SIII.

My Bold 9700 was just becoming too laggy and slow, with RIM constantly pushing OS updates that their older devices couldn't handle (I think I was running BB OS 7 at the end). I'd frequently have to wait 5 seconds or longer after waking up my phone before it would become responsive. When I went shopping for new phones, the specs on the Android phones were just head and shoulders above the available Blackberry handsets, and the day I was going to go into my local Verizon store to pick up a Droid Razor MAX, pre-orders opened up for the SIII. The choice was clear, and I waited an extra month with my Bold to get what looked to be a far superior phone. I got my SIII last Monday, and have since been playing with it, tweaking it, and trying to transfer every last bit of info from my Blackberry.

I have to say, I was a little disappointed that neither the Verizon contact backup utility nor Google Sync seem to be able to bring over the pictures from my contact list, so I'll likely lose those. And there are a few other things my Blackberry could do that I have yet to discover how to implement on my SIII (which I'll probably be starting a thread about soon, so I can get some help from the experts!). But overall, I'm very happy... this phone is so blazing fast, and can do so many things my Bold couldn't. I do miss my tactile keyboard, and I don't know if I'll ever be able to type as fast on a touchscreen as I could on my Bold (I was a mad typist on that thing!) but SwiftKey is making the transition a lot less painful.

walcolm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Won't call it coming over.more like expanding my scope since I still rock my bb and still a regular on crackberry

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
They're still the #1 phone in the UK (most owned smartphone) and have 70+ million users worldwide and elsewhere it's still the phone of choice for many professionals. According to their stats they still have more than 90 percent of their corporate business, and you can bet your *** all of them will upgrade their employees to BB10.

The media may publish a bunch of nasty articles about RIM, but they still have 4 billion in the bank and a huge user base. They,ll dominate corporate without even having to try, and if the first BB10 devices get a good critique from reviewers, I'm willing to bet you all the Blackberry users who've migrated to other platforms will at the least seriously consider going back. I mean it runs android apps for hecks sake. RIM may take a while to get anywhere near Apple or Google in consumer market share (at least in America) but you better believe that they aren't going anywhere.

I have no desire to get into a protracted and pointless debate. The reality of the moment is that RIM market share of the global market both consumer and business markets is rapidly deteriorating,more prominently in the consumer arena but also a quickly accelerating downward trend in the corporate environment. RIM does produce high-quality devices but, at present, are not as competitive. At present, BB10 devices have not been released yet so until it happens the discussion is pointless. Laying off employees and exploring the possibility of carving up the company to spin them off is not a good sign Hardware Vendors and app developers aren't exactly beating down their door. BB10 devices will be released overseas first which if that release slips pushes the US release making a difficult uphill climb more difficult. Grow up and stop being such a fanboy.

Last edited:

Syrous44

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Rim has confirmed a quad core CPU at least in the touch version, and several devs have talked about work they've been doing on a 64 bit project. Google doesn't always get the best stuff. RIM's QNX base for BB10 is way more powerful than Android. I think even Jerry would probably agree. I mean for goodness sake it can run android apps inside it without a stutter and it's a massively different software ecosystem. I think judging what BB10 will be like from your precious experience to BB is like trying to compare windows 95 to Windows 7. It's a whole different league, son.

I am not arguing that BB10 wont be an amazing device. All I am stating is that it wont out compete android because of a lack of proper ecosystem and because android jelly bean does most of what BB10 will do just in a different way. If you think RIM will comeback in full force with one phone or two. Not going to happen it will take years in the US anyways to start taking back share from android and ios. Also when it comes to investors and stock. They don't care how well the product does over seas but at home in the US. So please don't use your UK and international argument. Means nothing. Like I said I hope RIM comes back with full force but not going to happen magically overnight.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
At the end of the day good specs for a Bb phone doesn't matter... its the app gap that is made people like me move... they either will get developers on board or they won't... and I think if they do it won't b instant so maybe by the end of next year it may have some of the major stuff that I myself needed but now have on android. The lag of getting these apps might make even more people leave who knows

But BB10 RUNS Android apps, so you'll have the best of both worlds. They get all the goodies of Android for free thanks to android being open source.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12