Anyone coming across from Crackberry?

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I have no desire to get into a protracted and pointless debate. The reality of the moment is that RIM market share of the global market both consumer and business markets is rapidly deteriorating,more prominently in the consumer arena but also a quickly accelerating downward trend in the corporate environment. RIM does produce high-quality devices but, at present, are not as competitive. At present, BB10 devices have not been released yet so until it happens the discussion is pointless. Laying off employees and exploring the possibility of carving up the company to spin them off is not a good sign Hardware Vendors and app developers aren't exactly beating down their door. BB10 devices will be released overseas first which if that release slips pushes the US release making a difficult uphill climb more difficult. Grow up and stop being such a fanboy.

They still have 90+ percent of their their corporate clients, which was most of their business anyway.. No other company has put forth a viable alternative to BES and blackberry security. And remember it runs Android apps, so even without a lot of app support (and they have some) it will have access to all the goodness of Google. And FYI, RIM has never planned on carving up it's company, that was just conjecture by the media about what they think RIM should do.

It's kind of funny you calling me a fanboy as I use a HTC One X as a daily driver, have a S3 as a backup and am typing this on my Nexus 7. The fact is that I use the best that's available. If you actually had a good understanding of software, you would know that QNX (the base of BB10) is simply is simply more powerful and has greater potential than android.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Im a former bb user of many years. First bb being the 7310 and the last one being the 9700 series. I've also used windows, iphones, and sidekick devices. I have to say that android has to be my favorite so far. :thumbup::):thumbup:

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G Touch

Syrous44

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
They still have 90+ percent of their their corporate clients, which was most of their business anyway.. No other company has put forth a viable alternative to BES and blackberry security. And remember it runs Android apps, so even without a lot of app support (and they have some) it will have access to all the goodness of Google. And FYI, RIM has never planned on carving up it's company, that was just conjecture by the media about what they think RIM should do.

True however. With ios and android starting to get into enterprise how long will that last for RIM. But I think the true up and coming champ of enterprise will be windows with win8. If its true that win8 is seamless between all devices running it from phones to computers to tablets as they will all be running the exact same os with exactly the same kernel. I can see windows having 90% of enterprise market share in a few years. They already have that in enterprise today in pc world. I want Rim to be a huge success but with all of their delays and mistakes of the last 3 years just might of finished them of as a viable power in the mobile spice.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

It's kind of funny you calling me a fanboy as I use a HTC One X as a daily driver, have a S3 as a backup and am typing this on my Nexus 7. The fact is that I use the best that's available. If you actually had a good understanding of software, you would know that QNX (the base of BB10) is simply is simply more powerful and has greater potential than android.

Why the continued personal attacks on my knowledge of smartphone hardware and software? Where are the sources for your 90 percent corporate market share?

I agree that their corporate market share still dominates any other OS platform. I agree that QNX has great potential. The REALITY of the PRESENT discussion revolves around RIM users who have decided not to wait for BB10 devices and want to give another OS platform a try, myself among them.

My comments are based upon MY perception of your comments that seem to present someone who has an extensive amount of experience with RIM devices and still is a fan of their devices. I still have RIM devices and would advocate any models that have been released and will be in the FUTURE.

I am by no means a smartphone expert but just an enthusiastic and interested observer. Having owned RIM devices since 2006, I have seen the release of some great devices, some released on time, some not. Some of these devices could have had better processors, more RAM and better browsers. The latest models have made huge strides in being more consumer focused. Again, the REALITY is that these devices were grossly underpowered and whose design and performance did not push the envelope. This has caused their OVERALL market share to badly deteriorate.

This OVERALL market share is the REALITY that drives the marketplace and the scope of the uphill climb that RIM has to overcome BEFORE they can potentially re-take their lost market share in both the consumer and corporate market share. Even if BB10 devices with QNX reveal a game changing device, in the short-term, RIM will have only gotten themselves back in the game. RIM is also pursuing a future that involves an indirect footprint as part of other platforms and laying off a large chunk of their workforce, which are not a good sign. Samsung is pursuing a BES platform that could rival RIM and is not the only manufacturer that is trying. Who is to say that they will not be successful at producing a competitive BES deployment.

Good or bad. My posts have never been intended to portray myself a subject matter expert, far from it. They have only been my impressions that are part of an objective and respectful exchange of ideas and opinions. In two posts, you have made two attempts to disparage my comments as being those of the village idiot. Apparently, you have not realized that I have remained civil in spite of your replies to my responses, none of which were personally disparaging to you and only my perceived reaction to them. If I have wrongly reflected your intentions, this was definitely not my intention.

phillyphreak

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

Totally off this topic (no thanks needed) but why do you have a "daily driver" and a "back up"?

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I've moved back from CrackBerry. Since 2008, I've gone dumb phone, BB Pearl 8130, Curve 8330, Storm 1, Palm Pre, SGS i9000M, HTC Desire Z, back to the i9000M, iPhone 4, BB Bold 9900, and now
back to Android with the SGS3. Couldn't be happier. I've sold all of the other phones as I've upgraded hut I'm keeping by iphone as a backup. I'm looking at BB10 with curiosity as I want RIM to succeed in the end, and the previews look fantastic, but Thorsten definitely needs to earn back some trust.

The best thing RIM ever did was oust Balsillie and Lazaridis.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2

Reactions: ynomrah

Dr.Sadun

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
BB fan here. Although move to android a month ago. I am very happy with it. Not going back to BB. Android rocks!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

westex#WP

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
And as Mr. Heinz will happily tell you, the BB10 device is a beast. It's quad core, and they are looking to put the first ever 64 bit CPU in a phone. Take a look at a few of the features in BB10. It's going to rock, and they are taking their time to make it a masterpiece. If the management at RIM didn't have reason to believed that BB10 would rock the market, they would just sell the company.

I have to ask....what do you think Heins is going to say? That his device really sucks and RIM will be bankrupt by Labor Day? Of course he's going to say it's gonna be amazing. Lastly, RIM has not one, but two banks shopping the company right now. There is even money we will never see BB10, and RIM will be a division of another Company by Christmas.

I love my BB 9900 and Playbook, and I will probably take a chance on BB10 when it is released.Rooting for RIM to make it, but let's not trivialize what RIM has in front of it.

Syrous44

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I have to ask....what do you think Heins is going to say? That his device really sucks and RIM will be bankrupt by Labor Day? Of course he's going to say it's gonna be amazing. Lastly, RIM has not one, but two banks shopping the company right now. There is even money we will never see BB10, and RIM will be a division of another Company by Christmas.

I love my BB 9900 and Playbook, and I will probably take a chance on BB10 when it is released.Rooting for RIM to make it, but let's not trivialize what RIM has in front of it.

Thank god a BB user that lives in reality. I totally have the same view.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Why the continued personal attacks on my knowledge of smartphone hardware and software? Where are the sources for your 90 percent corporate market share?

I agree that their corporate market share still dominates any other OS platform. I agree that QNX has great potential. The REALITY of the PRESENT discussion revolves around RIM users who have decided not to wait for BB10 devices and want to give another OS platform a try, myself among them.

My comments are based upon MY perception of your comments that seem to present someone who has an extensive amount of experience with RIM devices and still is a fan of their devices. I still have RIM devices and would advocate any models that have been released and will be in the FUTURE.

I am by no means a smartphone expert but just an enthusiastic and interested observer. Having owned RIM devices since 2006, I have seen the release of some great devices, some released on time, some not. Some of these devices could have had better processors, more RAM and better browsers. The latest models have made huge strides in being more consumer focused. Again, the REALITY is that these devices were grossly underpowered and whose design and performance did not push the envelope. This has caused their OVERALL market share to badly deteriorate.

This OVERALL market share is the REALITY that drives the marketplace and the scope of the uphill climb that RIM has to overcome BEFORE they can potentially re-take their lost market share in both the consumer and corporate market share. Even if BB10 devices with QNX reveal a game changing device, in the short-term, RIM will have only gotten themselves back in the game. RIM is also pursuing a future that involves an indirect footprint as part of other platforms and laying off a large chunk of their workforce, which are not a good sign. Samsung is pursuing a BES platform that could rival RIM and is not the only manufacturer that is trying. Who is to say that they will not be successful at producing a competitive BES deployment.

Good or bad. My posts have never been intended to portray myself a subject matter expert, far from it. They have only been my impressions that are part of an objective and respectful exchange of ideas and opinions. In two posts, you have made two attempts to disparage my comments as being those of the village idiot. Apparently, you have not realized that I have remained civil in spite of your replies to my responses, none of which were personally disparaging to you and only my perceived reaction to them. If I have wrongly reflected your intentions, this was definitely not my intention.

Nothing my post was a very personal at all and was certainly not intended to be. Please re-read what you quoted. I think you will find it far more civil than you calling me a biased fanboy.

The fact is that if BlackBerry simply kept the market share they have right now and never gained any more, they would never go broke, they just wouldn't make as much as they used to. To respond to your question, RIM mentioned that they maintain 90% of their corporate business in their shareholders conference call. Lying on one of those is a criminal offense.

To everyone who thinks RIM is on death's door, I would suggest you don't understand their financial situation, earnings and revenue in detail, and that you may have had your opinion influenced by the out-for-blood, anything for a story tech media.

Totally off this topic (no thanks needed) but why do you have a "daily driver" and a "back up"?

Because I like to play with different phones? And what if one breaks? Plus I could avoid being biased when I put forth input on the One X vs S3 discussions.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Nothing my post was a very personal at all and was certainly not intended to be. Please re-read what you quoted. I think you will find it far more civil than you calling me a biased fanboy.

The fact is that if BlackBerry simply kept the market share they have right now and never gained any more, they would never go broke, they just wouldn't make as much as they used to. To respond to your question, RIM mentioned that they maintain 90% of their corporate business in their shareholders conference call. Lying on one of those is a criminal offense.

To everyone who thinks RIM is on death's door, I would suggest you don't understand their financial situation, earnings and revenue in detail, and that you may have had your opinion influenced by the out-for-blood, anything for a story tech media.

Because I like to play with different phones? And what if one breaks? Plus I could avoid being biased when I put forth input on the One X vs S3 discussions.

The company's steep drop in stock price makes them attractive to potential buyers. Two investment banks are shopping the company as a possible prelude to selling parts of the company to competitors. This is not spin. It is fact. There have been significant layoffs. Another fact. These are not signs of a healthy company. As with all companies, significant missteps have been made that have led to their current situation.

You can't believe everything that the company releases in a press release or on a conference call. Have you ever heard of damage control? They have to do everything that they can do to protect the shareholders as part of their fudiciary responsibility. As someone posted above, did you expect the CEO to say that there are more possible delays to BB10 device release next year or that their products are just not competitive any more? While pursuing a positive path to regain market share, they also have to pursue less attractive alternative which are also part their fudiciary responsibility to the shareholders.

The company may intend to release the BB10 devices and make a real effort to re-establish their reputation and market share. The layoffs may be part of re-structuring effort to be more competitive. The company makes great devices that appeal to a significant and varied audience, myself included.

It is also equally possible that they are working out details leading to an indirect footprint in the marketplace as part of another company.

No one is inferring that the company is on death's door because the company has recovered when all others were counting them out in the past. Having a significant corporate footprint is not a guarantee of survival. A depressed stock price, delayed product release, layoffs and being shopped for possible sale are not good signs.

If and when the BB10 devices released, either the London or Milan, I will still take a serious look at them and evaluate them along with other devices when my next upgrade opportunity is available. I am one that is hoping that, against all odds, the company succeeds. Healthy competition in the rapidly expanding marketplace is a good thing. Their build quality has always been excellent as well as the ability of their OS to squeeze every ounce of performance and battery power out of what has to date been underpowered devices that have not met the expectations of the overall market. I would rather that they take their time and get it right with the BB10 devices but time may not be on their side. So, back on topic I go.

Last edited:

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The company's steep drop in stock price makes them attractive to potential buyers. Two investment banks are shopping the company as a possible prelude to selling parts of the company to competitors. This is not spin. It is fact. There have been significant layoffs. Another fact. These are not signs of a healthy company. As with all companies, significant missteps have been made that have led to their current situation.

You can't believe everything that the company releases in a press release or on a conference call. Have you ever heard of damage control? They have to do everything that they can do to protect the shareholders as part of their fudiciary responsibility. As someone posted above, did you expect the CEO to say that there are more possible delays to BB10 device release next year or that their products are just not competitive any more? While pursuing a positive path to regain market share, they also have to pursue less attractive alternative which are also part their fudiciary responsibility to the shareholders.

The company may intend to release the BB10 devices and make a real effort to re-establish their reputation and market share. The layoffs may be part of re-structuring effort to be more competitive. The company makes great devices that appeal to a significant and varied audience, myself included.

It is also equally possible that they are working out details leading to an indirect footprint in the marketplace as part of another company.

No one is inferring that the company is on death's door because the company has recovered when all others were counting them out in the past. Having a significant corporate footprint is not a guarantee of survival. A depressed stock price, delayed product release, layoffs and being shopped for possible sale are not good signs.

If and when the BB10 devices released, either the London or Milan, I will still take a serious look at them and evaluate them along with other devices when my next upgrade opportunity is available. I am one that is hoping that, against all odds, the company succeeds. Healthy competition in the rapidly expanding marketplace is a good thing. Their build quality has always been excellent as well as the ability of their OS to squeeze every ounce of performance and battery power out of what has to date been underpowered devices that have not met the expectations of the overall market. I would rather that they take their time and get it right with the BB10 devices but time may not be on their side. So, back on topic I go.

Banks taking in interest in but parts of RIM is not the same as RIM being interested in selling. RIM has made it clear that no part of the company is or will be for sale.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Since when did lying become a criminal offense???

I know, not on topic but I'm curious as to why you said this.

It is illegal for a company to intentionally lie to shareholders about projections, earnings or business statistics. It has been for years.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
With the development by RIM of a Siri like feature in BB10, I wonder if Apple will file a lawsuit against RIM. Additionally, RIM has universal search which includes being able to search the device but they have not been sued to my knowledge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12