Anyone coming across from Crackberry?

OniBerry

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I recently made the switch from a BlackBerry (9900/9360) w/PlayBook, to an SGS III. Still have the one BB and PB, but have been with them for a long time, and with the exception of brief encounters with Sony (xperia) device, this is my first Samsung. Confusing for the first week, but I am enjoying the experience.

I will also be looking forward to BB10 when it drops sometime during Q1 (hopefully) '13.

Syrous44

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Samsung needs Apple far more than Apple needs Samsung. Apple is sourcing their chips and screens from other companies and they also have their own chip design in house. This is going to cost Samsung billions of $$ in revenue that their board and shareholders are not at all happy about. But when you mess with the bull you get the horns.Samsung has no grounds to file a lawsuit against the i5. Thats just delusional. Not quite as bad as people thinking QNX will ever go anywhere but pretty close.

Actually I read somewhere that sammy produces close to 50% of the components that the iPhone and i pad that's why the galaxy ii and tab looked so similar to apple products. But yes i also heard that iphone is slowly dropping sammy. However, I still think sammy will outsell iphone for a few more years till apple completely redesigns their os.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Vaporware. RIM will be barely in existence by this time next year. They are hemorrhaging money and people. Many huge corporations, like the one I work for, are dumping them for iPhone. Nobody wants to use a Blackberry when their personal iPhone or Android phones are so much better,

Rims not hemorrhaging any money. They are still simply making less money. They still have over 4 billion in the bank. Government agencies and most corporations will never allow I phones. Their security is terrible. My brother works for Lockheed and they've already got a contract for BB10. You're nuts if you think they'll be gone in a year, they're still the most owned phone in the UK. They could survive on their corporate business alone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Government agencies and most corporations will never allow I phones. Their security is terrible.

Are you kidding? The Iphone has been granted DoD acceptance and the US Army is going to field the Iphones and provide them to soldiers.

I highly doubt Lockheed has a contract for a phone that is still under development.

What BlackBerry model do you use?

Last edited:

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Worldwide phone market share for 1st quarter; Samsung gains and Nokia slides - The Washington Post

A 2.4% global market share is not encouraging for RIM. If this is not a clear sign of the daunting task facing RIM, you got me.

BZZT! Wrong. That's just how many phone's were sold in quarter one 2012. And even in the state they are in now they managed to sell more phones that HTC or Motorola, if you read the article. Do expect either of them to disappear anytime soon? That aside, most blackberry users aren't buying new BlackBerrys at the moment knowing they're about to become obsolete. If you read the Wikipedia on smartphone market share as of 2012, RIM has 6.9 percent of the market share, as opposed to windows phone's 1.9 percent. Do you see windows phone as being on the brink of collapse? RIM sold 10 million blackberries in Q1 2012 alone. If you think they're out of the game you don't understand the market.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
BZZT! Wrong. That's just how many phone's were sold in quarter one 2012. And even in the state they are in now they managed to sell more phones that HTC or Motorola, if you read the article. Do expect either of them to disappear anytime soon? That aside, most blackberry users aren't buying new BlackBerrys at the moment knowing they're about to become obsolete. If you read the Wikipedia on smartphone market share as of 2012, RIM has 6.9 percent of the market share, as opposed to windows phone's 1.9 percent. Do you see windows phone as being on the brink of collapse? RIM sold 10 million blackberries in Q1 2012 alone. If you think they're out of the game you don't understand the market.

Just part of a quick Google search:

RIM reports that 11.1 million BlackBerry smartphones and 500,000 PlayBook tablets were shipped in Q4 2012. Smartphone shipments are down 21 percent from the previous quarter, while revenues have fallen 25 percent from the same quarter in the prior year, settling in at $4.2 billion for Q4 2012. The company also reported a $125 million loss for the quarter, thanks to a write down on remaining stock of BlackBerry 7 smartphones and an "impairment of goodwill."

Here is the link: RIM sales, revenue tank in Q4 2012 earnings report

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Stop being so defensive. Never said that the company was doomed. They simply have a very tough road ahead. Take a deep breath. No one is trying to beat you up. We are only trying to show you that the future is uncertain and hinges on the success of the BB10 devices. All current RIM owners like myself and former RIM owners are hoping that they make it and will definitely consider them when our upgrade opportunities arise. We have simply grown impatient and decided that we wanted to try another OS platform. This doesn't make us ill-informed or unrealistic or that we lack understanding of the marketplace. This is what we have been trying to get you to see.

Reactions: Syrous44

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Stop being so defensive. Never said that the company was doomed. They simply have a very tough road ahead. Take a deep breath. No one is trying to beat you up. We are only trying to show you that the future is uncertain and hinges on the success of the BB10 devices. All current RIM owners like myself and former RIM owners are hoping that they make it and will definitely consider them when our upgrade opportunities arise. We have simply grown impatient and decided that we wanted to try another OS platform. This doesn't make us ill-informed or unrealistic or that we lack understanding of the marketplace. This is what we have been trying to get you to see.

I somehow manged to misread the poster of this and thought you had posted it as well:

RIM will be barely in existence by this time next year. They are hemorrhaging money and people. Many huge corporations, like the one I work for, are dumping them for iPhone. Nobody wants to use a Blackberry when their personal iPhone or Android phones are so much better,

Was just trying to point out that when shey're selling more phones than Motorola or HTC and have like 4 times the marketshare of windows phone, that they aren't going anywhere, at least not for a while. I'm 8 shots into some cheap seagrim's and my nose is loaded with 2 experimental chemicals, lemme alone.

chops65

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Had a Storm 2 that I liked but got tired of waiting for an exciting BB handset. Love my S3 but not used to the OS yet. Hope to learn lots here! :confused:

Splange

May 5, 2012
Visit site
BB10 is starting to look like vaporware at this point. It's been delayed twice now. The first time they said they were waiting for a dual core processor that could work with lte and pushed it from early 2012 to late. Even though the galaxy s2 managed to have dual core lte, so that was obviously untrue. They've been showing the same controlled demos for over a year now, and if I remember correctly, it's been revealed that the stuff they're showing isn't even the real os, but a sort of concept video laid on the dev alpha.

Invader3K

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm a recent convert from Crackberry as well. I posted this story elsewhere, but a quick re-hash: Blackberry user for the past few years, first with a Tour, then with a Torch 9850. Really liked the Torch at first, but it was getting tiresome the past few weeks. It was running slow and I had to do frequent battery pulls.

Switched to the Galaxy S III this past Friday, and not looking back. It blows away anything Blackberry currently offers by a wide margin. I wasn't going to wait around for RIM to maybe get new BB10 phones out in first quarter of '13. I expect those devices will feel half finished or already dated by the time they actually get out.

I'm tired of reading about RIM's new cool stuff "coming soon" or "just around the corner." I bought a Playbook on launch day, and it took them forever to get it functioning how it should (software version 2.0 took over about a year from launch day to come out). The core concept of Blackberry is still good, but RIM's execution the past couple years has been infuriating. I'll probably be selling my Playbook soon, as my Galaxy minimizes my need to have a separate tablet.

Syrous44

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
BB10 is starting to look like vaporware at this point. It's been delayed twice now. The first time they said they were waiting for a dual core processor that could work with lte and pushed it from early 2012 to late. Even though the galaxy s2 managed to have dual core lte, so that was obviously untrue. They've been showing the same controlled demos for over a year now, and if I remember correctly, it's been revealed that the stuff they're showing isn't even the real os, but a sort of concept video laid on the dev alpha.

Another major reason why I jumped the titanic I mean RIM. I hope they survive in the long run but not looking that way at all. More and more broken promises enough is enough. Just shut your mouths and release the final product already when ever that will be.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site

Whatever guys. It was delayed 3 months. THE CARRIERS told RIM to abort the holiday launch to avoid a one on one with the Iphone 5. This argument is pointless. Just watch in January when every government agency/most major corporation loads up on BB10 phones. Many are already on contract.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Whatever guys. It was delayed 3 months. THE CARRIERS told RIM to abort the holiday launch to avoid a one on one with the Iphone 5. This argument is pointless. Just watch in January when every government agency/most major corporation loads up on BB10 phones. Many are already on contract.

So, do tell me...who is in contract with RIM for BB10 devices? The carriers can't tell RIM when or when not to launch. Where in the hell do you get this garbage???

BTW, what BB are you using???

dh4321

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm with Invader above. Recent convert from crackberry as well. BB user for many many years, but tired of the delays and broken promises. I never thought I would be interested in Android, but this Galaxy S3 is simply amazing. I'm having trouble getting use to my NON keyboard and I admit I miss my flashing red light for email, but I'm getting there. And activesync with exchange for work email doesn't miss a beat. Surprising how easy it's been to put down my BB and walk away.

Syrous44

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm with Invader above. Recent convert from crackberry as well. BB user for many many years, but tired of the delays and broken promises. I never thought I would be interested in Android, but this Galaxy S3 is simply amazing. I'm having trouble getting use to my NON keyboard and I admit I miss my flashing red light for email, but I'm getting there. And activesync with exchange for work email doesn't miss a beat. Surprising how easy it's been to put down my BB and walk away.

Yeah but crackberry users would have you believe that a BB is the only phone that can get sh#t done its not a toy. Well let me tell you. After years of using BBs myself and using my gnex for a little over a month. Android gets sh#t done, its faster more robust. Email is great on it and I no longer look at the spinning clock or the random freezing anymore. As much as I want rim to make it big, I am afraid they are to far behind the competition.

OniBerry

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ng.android.lightflowlite&hl=en&token=xMqDE_0r

As close as it's gonna get, and works pretty well too.