Anyone coming across from Crackberry?

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Your article from 2010, and was about a consideration. And it didn't happen. the only thing the Army allows is for soldiers to bring their own iPhones for basic use. Nice try, though. Neither of the links you posted says otherwise. The Army is still issuing Blackberries.

You're really trying to hard, man. First you were wrong about the DoD, and now you just keep going. You're on a roll.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Well, high speed, low drag....let me give you a current article. I guess I was wrong about the DOD and the Army, eh? Yes, the BB is still in use - my point has always been the Iphone (and Android) is allowed on DoD severs and can be used.

http://www.newsmakertoday.com/u-s-f...blackberry-for-communication-device/3585.html

And for the Navy:

Navy To Allow Use Of iPhones, iPads, Androids - Government - Mobile & Wireless - Informationweek

The NOAA:

US government dumps BlackBerry in favor of iPhone, iPad for NOAA

Coast Guard:

Coast Guard Approves iPhone, Android Use - Government - Mobile & Wireless - Informationweek

And for some more reading:

Bye Bye BlackBerry. How Long Will Apple Last? - Forbes

Federal Agencies Embrace iPhones, iPads - Government - Mobile & Wireless - Informationweek

Now hopefully you have pulled your head out and wiped your eyes.....this is all I'm going to say.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
It would be interesting if you actually read the articles that you post, rather than just posting a load of links, as you'll find they prove my point.

Like this for example, from probably the most pertinent of all of them.

GSA, which manages $ 500 billion of government assets, including telecommunications, information technology, and housing, as well as smartphones and tablet test is used on network security personnel they use.

Coleman said the BlackBerry smartphone remains the most widely used in the GSA, with the Apple device and other devices with Google Android OS to take the role of 5 percent of all the agencies.

The new device is to complement and not replace, he said, and GSA has no plans to leave the RIM servers, which manage traffic safely BlackBerry communications.

So Android and iPhone make up less than 5% of all phones used the U.S. government, and they in NO WAY plan to replace Blackberry.

Or how about this from another one of your links?

What does this mean for RIM's BlackBerry, which is widely used by the feds? It's too early to say that Apple's gain in government will translate into RIM's pain. A spokesperson said the company has millions of subscribers in federal government and that that number, contrary to some reports, is still growing.

Or this?

"What you're seeing isn't iPhones replacing BlackBerries and RIM devices, but government agencies are looking to provide more choices because of their concerns about attracting and retaining talent," said Forrester Research analyst T.J. Keitt. "There is a belief that if [federal managers] allow for some device flexibility, it will make the workplace more attractive."

From reading those articles, it's pretty clear the government isn't ditching RIM at all. As I said, you're trying to hard. A couple of those articles didn't even have anything to do with the government at all, rather they were just opinion pieces on RIM. The more you post, the more epic your fail seems to become.

Last edited:

Splange

May 5, 2012
Visit site
It would be interesting if you actually read the articles that you post, rather than just posting a load of links, as you'll find they prove my point.

Like this for example, from probably the most pertinent of all of them.

So Android and iPhone take up less than 5% or all phones in the U.S. government, and they in NO WAY plan to replace Blackberry.

Or how about this from another one of your links?

Or this?

As I said, you're trying to hard. The more you post, the more epic your fail seems to become.

But the point is that all these devices (iphones and android) are cleared for use. So they are allowed in high security occupations.

It's no surprise that big institutions that are heavily invested in RIM's network are not the quickest defectors. If BB10 tanks and RIM gets sold, separated or scaled down these institutions will probably be the last to abandon them.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
But the point is that all these devices (iphones and android) are cleared for use. So they are allowed in high security occupations.

They're not allowed at all for high security applications.

The Department of the Navy (DON) will approve the use of iPhones, iPads, Android-based mobile devices and BlackBerry-based tablets on the unclassified networks of the Navy and Marine Corps, although once it does, most commercial features of the devices are likely to be disabled, Hernon said.

And the DoD

Everything but inbox services must be disabled. All use must be done through a DoD proxy server and classified information cannot be sent, received or accessed by the phones.

In the rare case anything but a Blackberry is used by a government agency, everything but it's email is disabled and it is NEVER allowed for use with anything that is high security.

Last edited:

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

It's no surprise that big institutions that are heavily invested in RIM's network are not the quickest defectors. If BB10 tanks and RIM gets sold, separated or scaled down these institutions will probably be the last to abandon them.

Exactly my point - but someone here doesn't get this.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Do you really think you're EVER going to get classified information over a telephone/email? Not a freaking chance in hell.

No disrespect. The definition of insanity is trying the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result. You are never going to enlighten your nemesis nor change his mind. The other users who post on AC have already moved on and are not going to provide more fuel to the fire. Your nemesis refuses to embrace the same reality and reason that you and the rest of the planet's inhabitants do.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
No disrespect. The definition of insanity is trying the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result. You are never going to enlighten your nemesis nor change his mind. The other users who post on AC have already moved on and are not going to provide more fuel to the fire. Your nemesis refuses to embrace the same reality and reason that you and the rest of the planet's inhabitants do.

10-4.....:D

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site

Oh, you:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Splange

May 5, 2012
Visit site
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF2cLwPHaNY

Tell me that's not friggen awesome. I would really really like something like that on an android device. I really hope BB10 is loaded with stuff like that.

It's nice obviously, and so is some of the other stuff they've been showing off. But I just don't think they'll deliver. RIM likes to talk about what they have planned more than they like actually doing it.

If BB10 actually makes it to market rather than being delayed into oblivion, I bet that camera feature will be missing or barely functional. RIM will make a statement that they didn't want to release it without it being 100% ready and that it's coming soon. And once you hear that word 'soon' you might as well give up on ever seeing it.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
It's nice obviously, and so is some of the other stuff they've been showing off. But I just don't think they'll deliver. RIM likes to talk about what they have planned more than they like actually doing it.

If BB10 actually makes it to market rather than being delayed into oblivion, I bet that camera feature will be missing or barely functional. RIM will make a statement that they didn't want to release it without it being 100% ready and that it's coming soon. And once you hear that word 'soon' you might as well give up on ever seeing it.

I dunno man. Rim only pushed pushed back the official release date of BB10 once and it's only a 3 month delay. According to RIM, all the stuff was being developed by separate isolated groups of devs, so when they put everything together, it was somewhat buggy. They claim that they have a finished product and could have released it on schedule, but that they want to take an extra 3 months to make it perfect and bug free. They think that if they release anything that's less than perfect, the critics will attack them and it'll be over for them. Honestly I agree.

And somehow I doubt they will discard the camera feature as they just unveiled it and had it working smoothly on actual hardware. No reason to ditch it.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
When you wish upon a star, it makes no difference who you are, dreams do sometimes come true. March is so far away and if events on Dec 21st occur as legend foretells, it won't matter. I would not be surprised to see the BB10 release slip into April or May. RIM has to get this right with BB10.

westex#WP

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
And somehow I doubt they will discard the camera feature as they just unveiled it and had it working smoothly on actual hardware. No reason to ditch it.

The camera app will ship with BB10....and Nokia Windows Phones, too. Nokia bought the company that owned the tech. So it will not be exclusive to BlackBerry.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The camera app will ship with BB10....and Nokia Windows Phones, too. Nokia bought the company that owned the tech. So it will not be exclusive to BlackBerry.

Link? According to RIM it's a Blackberry exclusive that they developed themselves.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
http://crackberry.com/rim-preparing-blackberry-10-preview-carriers

This came out today. No way BB10 is vaporware. They're sending devices out to the carriers to play with, who have voiced their support and apparently RIM's employees are now using BB10 phones as daily drivers.

March is so far away. I would not be surprised to see the BB10 release slip into April or May. RIM has to get this right with BB10.

You mean January. It was pushed back from October 3 months to January. It was pushed back to ensure everything is perfect. They can't afford for it not to be.

Last edited:

Splange

May 5, 2012
Visit site
http://crackberry.com/rim-preparing-blackberry-10-preview-carriers

This came out today. No way BB10 is vaporware. They're sending devices out to the carriers to play with, who have voiced their support and apparently RIM's employees are now using BB10 phones as daily drivers.

You mean January. It was pushed back from October 3 months to January. It was pushed back to ensure everything is perfect. They can't afford for it not to be.

The devices they are sending to the carriers and that they're using are beta devices rather than finished products. We don't know whether all features have been added to them already. Still, this is good news and I agree that it indicates that BB10 is not simply vaporware, but will come out eventually. It still doesn't preclude the possibility of further delays though.

And they never said January, only quarter one 2013. Which means it could be as late as March. Heins hinted at January in one interview, but corrected himself in a statement after.

I'm probably just being overly pessimistic, but given their track record more delays are not out of the question. I didn't even believe the news when I heard they were pushing it back to 2013 - i thought there was no way they would do that. I've learned not to overestimate RIM's competence.

This is their second delay (first time was from early 2012 to late 2012) of an OS that should have been out years ago to be competitive.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The devices they are sending to the carriers and that they're using are beta devices rather than finished products. We don't know whether all features have been added to them already. Still, this is good news and I agree that it indicates that BB10 is not simply vaporware, but will come out eventually. It still doesn't preclude the possibility of further delays though.

And they never said January, only quarter one 2013. Which means it could be as late as March. Heins hinted at January in one interview, but corrected himself in a statement after.

I'm probably just being overly pessimistic, but given their track record more delays are not out of the question. I didn't even believe the news when I heard they were pushing it back to 2013 - i thought there was no way they would do that. I've learned not to overestimate RIM's competence.

This is their second delay (first time was from early 2012 to late 2012) of an OS that should have been out years ago to be competitive.

When BB10 was unveiled they announced it for release in October the same day, so I think you may be mistaken, there's only been one delay of an official release date. In his recent interview with Crackberry Kevin, he said a January release, hopefully this hold true. If it came out "years ago" it would have been the most amazing device on the planet. QNX is amazingly powerful, whether or not it's a success is debatable, but what's not is that it stomps iOS and Android in raw power and potential of kernels. It can run Android apps inside itself for hecks sake.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams