My situation: Debating on getting this, the new Evo, or the Nexus; not leaving Sprint, upgrading because my Palm Pre is dying (I've had it for 2 years )

I don't think I'm going to get the new Evo since it might take a while and be somewhat difficult to get stock android 4.0 on the Evo and I was wondering if it would be any easier, or if a rom would even be available close to release day, for the GS3?

I can wait for updates, but to be honest, I hate sense and touch wiz and the only thing keeping me from the Nexus is the its dated hardware. I can upgrade again in one year and absolutely have to have stock android so is the Nexus the best choice for me?

Thanks for the help.

PS: I started watching more vids on the GS3 and realized the only thing I really disliked was the way the standard icons looked since I could customize everything else. Is there any way to change the way the messaging and other icons look? And is there a estimated release date for Sprint? Also, is this really worth waiting for or should I just settle for the Nexus for now?
    05-16-2012 12:41 AM
    im trying to decide the same thing.
    05-16-2012 07:33 AM
    If you absolutely have to have stock Android the Nexus is your best option.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    05-16-2012 08:29 AM
    I bought a bad ESN Galaxy SII and loaded the most recent build of SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097 (EL29 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted) - xda-developers which has ICS 4.0.4 loaded on it but also with TouchWiz.

I'm not sure I'm in love with TouchWiz. I love the card view with the Palm and the ability to multitask and the ability to pull down menu's by touching the corners of the screen.

I have not used the ICS yet, except for what is built with TouchWiz in the latest release. I'm wondering if there is more flexibility with the stock ICS.

I would like the fonts to be smaller on email so I can fit more on the screen.
    Same thing with the calendar as well.

I haven't figured out if I can change the skins (colors/background, etc) yet.
    The Palm was easy to work with and to customize with Preware and WebOS Quick Install.
    I'm wondering if there is a tool like that for Android ICS.

By the way. The Galaxy SII is plenty powerful to run ICS and is snappy! Much better Hardware than the Pre- which of course is over 4 +years old now.

And Yes.. I'm in the same boat as you.. waiting for the Galaxy SIII but trying to get used to the Android OS.

The Nexus' drawback is it's camera in my opinion. So I'm waiting for the SIII what about the HTC EVO 4G LTE?
    05-16-2012 09:17 AM
    what about the HTC EVO 4G LTE?
    I just really dislike sense, that's literally the only thing keeping me away from the phone. I think I'm just going to get the Nexus and call it day, I don't think any skin is anywhere near as good as stock android and create unnecessary fuss.
    05-16-2012 10:47 PM
    I feel exactly like you guys do. My plans were to get the GSIII and then buy nova launcher so I can have pure ics and still be able to enjoy all the glorious features the GSIII has to offer. I'm still going to root it, but that will only so I can have wifi tether for root users and restoring/backing up data.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums
    05-17-2012 02:50 AM
    Went from the epic 4g to the nexus s4g. My only complaint with TW was the inability for customization. Guess what???? Pure google ics launcher has less customization options than TW and is not a option for me. IMO it plain sux.

I will check out the new TW, as I heard it is much more customize able than ever before and fall back on nova if it's not what I want.

To answer your question though, Stock asop roms will be available for the gs3.

05-17-2012 06:57 AM
    There's a difference between having a pure AOSP build and just using a different launcher. If you want the pure Google experience, then by all means get the Nexus. Also, the Nexus should get updates faster.

If you just want more customization then just use a different launcher. People have been doing it forever. NOVA Launcher, Apex Launcher, Trebuchet launcher are all great, and offer loads more customization than the stock launcher in ICS, Sense, or Touchwiz.
    05-17-2012 09:14 AM
    There's a difference between having a pure AOSP build and just using a different launcher. If you want the pure Google experience, then by all means get the Nexus. Also, the Nexus should get updates faster.

If you just want more customization then just use a different launcher. People have been doing it forever. NOVA Launcher, Apex Launcher, Trebuchet launcher are all great, and offer loads more customization than the stock launcher in ICS, Sense, or Touchwiz.
    I just want everything on my phone to look like stock ICS, will NOVA Launcher or any other app do that? And can it do the same thing on the new Evo?
    05-17-2012 02:11 PM
    Apex Launcher is also pretty slick for an AOSP ICS look and feel.
    Tkbredx likes this.
    05-17-2012 02:31 PM
    I too am switching from my age old Pre. I've been following Android for like the last 3 years though. Lol. I've continually gotten caught up in rumors of stupid future palm devices (yes, I fell in love with webOS, even with a lack of hardware and apps.). After that I got caught up in the android rumor mill. Im ready for my S3 now though.

I too wanted to switch from TW to the sexy stock ICS seen on Nexus. But I want to keep the features (which are amazing in my opinion). So Im going to go with a custom launcher. After looking at reviews in google play, pictures and more importantly videos on youtube. I've come to the conclusion that Apex Launcher is a better launcher for ICS maybe not other themes but for stock ICS its the most customizable and best looking. It also seems to run extremely smooth... One thing about WebOS though, I liked the cards and want a multitasker just like it (not HTCs on the diagonal but just flat webOS style cards). Is there an app or something that allows me to do it?
    05-17-2012 03:14 PM
    I too am switching from my age old Pre. I've been following Android for like the last 3 years though. Lol. I've continually gotten caught up in rumors of stupid future palm devices (yes, I fell in love with webOS, even with a lack of hardware and apps.). After that I got caught up in the android rumor mill. Im ready for my S3 now though.

I too wanted to switch from TW to the sexy stock ICS seen on Nexus. But I want to keep the features (which are amazing in my opinion). So Im going to go with a custom launcher. After looking at reviews in google play, pictures and more importantly videos on youtube. I've come to the conclusion that Apex Launcher is a better launcher for ICS maybe not other themes but for stock ICS its the most customizable and best looking. It also seems to run extremely smooth... One thing about WebOS though, I liked the cards and want a multitasker just like it (not HTCs on the diagonal but just flat webOS style cards). Is there an app or something that allows me to do it?
    I'm in the same boat as you but my screen on my Pre isn't working anymore at all so I can't wait for the GS3, going to get the Nexus; was leaning towards the Nexus anyways. As for the webOS card style multitasking, I haven't found anything like it for Android but I like the way it is in ICS and its the same on the Nexus as it is on TouchWiz.
    05-17-2012 03:21 PM
    I was trying to figure out pretty much the same thing, the icons/messaging is HORRIBLE but the rest looks so damn good its very tempting because its time to upgrade!

Makes me wonder with the One X, the GS3 and others what on earth is NEXT?
    05-17-2012 07:40 PM
    Update to my situation: My pre completely died today and absolutely have to get a phone soon. My good friend hooked me up with an employee plan on Sprint which is great but that means we have to wait a bit for new phones since the customers have priority. I'm buying a HTC Arrive off contract now and using that until late this year when Windows Phone 8 and the new flagship Android devices will be revealed. I would've gotten a windows phone sooner if Sprint had a better selection but the Arrive is only $150 used and I really like it.

I was trying to figure out pretty much the same thing, the icons/messaging is HORRIBLE but the rest looks so damn good its very tempting because its time to upgrade!

Makes me wonder with the One X, the GS3 and others what on earth is NEXT?
    The next Nexuses (Nexi?)
    05-17-2012 09:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD