Apple blocking One X in US. Could S3 become their next target?

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Given that Apple loves to "hate" Samsung's Android phones, won't they also want to target S3 once it arrives states-side? Does S3 already has a different way of handling that particular patent? Or this customs/patent issue was only unique to HTC?

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Apple blocking One X in US. Could S3 become their next target

It was unique to HTC as in it was the result of a ruling that was set to go into effect April ____. All parties knew it was coming. There is no such ruling against Samsung at this time.

As for HTC, it might have been beneficial had they attempted to prove they removed the patent violation prior to launching the phones in the first place though. Now they pay with their stock price and a lot of pissed off consumers.

Reactions: phonejunky

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

How do they prove that ahead of time?
Not sure that opportunity exists. Customs doesn't care until Apple complains.
Apple surely isn't going to give its blessing.

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
As a matter of a fact, the Galaxy S III has not been included in Apple's case against Samsung (yet that is because im sure Apple will find some way to sue Samsung over it)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Since the gs3 has been "designed by Samsungs lawyers" I am sure it will be Saft, lol.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

There's no evidence that Apple made the call to the US Customs and the ITC to put a stop to the HTC devices.

For all we know, this could just simply be the result of the case that HTC lost, as previously mentioned in this thread.

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
There's no evidence that Apple made the call to the US Customs and the ITC to put a stop to the HTC devices.

For all we know, this could just simply be the result of the case that HTC lost, as previously mentioned in this thread.

there is no evidence they didn't tho

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

there is no evidence they didn't tho

Do we really believe even Apple has some sort of pull or power like this?

Even the courts are sick of them right now, I just don't see it. Then again, there is the possibility that Steve Jobs rose from the depths of hell himself and bribed the customs officials. That might be more likely.

Reactions: deraildoax and Ry

RoboWarrior

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

So far the galaxy s 3 will not be targeted due to the fact that it was made by Samsung laywers. Unless apple makes a patent for a pebble shaped phone, the jury would not allow apple to stop the shipment to the United States. HTC "obviously" is too perfect and rectangular so Apple will try to stop them. Anyway I think that 16 GiB storage is enough to stop a lot of customers from buying that phone. ;)

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

From what I gathered from an apple fansite is that the ban is due to some Sense software that infringes on an apple patent and is not found in android itself.

omar300i

May 4, 2012
Visit site

Apple likes to brag about reinventing phone, they should add "Patent troll" to their resume as well. I loved what germany did, they just threw out the cases from apple. And said they had enough. way to go germany!

Reactions: SM496

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

It was unique to HTC as in it was the result of a ruling that was set to go into effect April ____. All parties knew it was coming. There is no such ruling against Samsung at this time.

As for HTC, it might have been beneficial had they attempted to prove they removed the patent violation prior to launching the phones in the first place though. Now they pay with their stock price and a lot of pissed off consumers.

I dunno about their stock prices nor have I talked to anyone that ordered these phones, but if it was more, I'd just be more pissed off at Apple (or is it @$$hole?). Can't blame HTC for trying to sneak it by as that's something Apple shouldn't have been able to patent anyway. Come to think of it, it did piss me off at Apple even more and I didn't buy one!

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

I dont even understand the deal with the One X. It is in no way, shape, or form even close to the iPhone. Same with the S3.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

This is what i think of now when i hear apple.
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjeq61M286U[/YT]

this works to :D

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWP8OUytprE[/YT]

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

I dunno about their stock prices nor have I talked to anyone that ordered these phones, but if it was more, I'd just be more pissed off at Apple (or is it @$$hole?). Can't blame HTC for trying to sneak it by as that's something Apple shouldn't have been able to patent anyway. Come to think of it, it did piss me off at Apple even more and I didn't buy one!

There was an article on Google today talking about HTC's stock falling, but also Samsung's suffered a 10 billion dollar loss on speculation. Yadda, yadda, I didn't pay attention to the entire thing. Samsung loses $10 billion market value on Apple order report - Yahoo! Finance

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

Ita a matter of public record that Apple contacted the ITC....I verified thia by putting in a call to their public relations department yesterday (working on a story a out all thia madness) I spoke to a very nice, professional individual who confirmed it and referred me to speak with US Customs about an eta for the conclusion of the investivation....wotking on that now.

Jack

1BadHEMI

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Its kinda funny...

On my Epic Touch 4G, what exactly crApple is doing to HTC, TouchWiz does the same exact thing. When you click on a link or phone number, it opens up a pop asking you which program you would like to open with the link... I haven't checked on an ICS build to see if it has been changed, but on my work RAZR Maxx running AOKP it does the same thing. I know in Sense 4 they have changed it for the US versions.

This whole thing is a total BS mess. HTC is smaller than Samsung, and Apple chose to pick on the smaller company with less lawyers, and doesn't want to go after Motorola, as its "unofficially" owned by Google. Its basically what is boils down to.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Its kinda funny...

On my Epic Touch 4G, what exactly crApple is doing to HTC, TouchWiz does the same exact thing. When you click on a link or phone number, it opens up a pop asking you which program you would like to open with the link... I haven't checked on an ICS build to see if it has been changed, but on my work RAZR Maxx running AOKP it does the same thing. I know in Sense 4 they have changed it for the US versions.

This whole thing is a total BS mess. HTC is smaller than Samsung, and Apple chose to pick on the smaller company with less lawyers, and doesn't want to go after Motorola, as its "unofficially" owned by Google. Its basically what is boils down to.

I agree that the other phones may be doing this, but saying HTC is ONLY picking on the little guy shows you aren't paying attention.
Apple is suing everybody and their mother.

I ALSO agree that it is bs though. The US versions of the One Series do NOT operate this way. They have removed the choices, so it does not apply. Just raises my hatred for APPLE even more.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

I can't stand Apple. But anyways, they wouldn't dare to do something like that to Samsung for one other reason: 25% of the current iPhone is made by Samsung. I am sure Apple will find new suppliers for their new phones.