05-22-2012 07:24 AM
63 123
tools
    I am guessing that rooting has to be done with every new Android OS flavor?

Is there a must-have accessory or case to go the S3? Once OB comes out with a Defender version, I would seriously plan on getting one as many times as I drop phones.
    05-17-2012 05:01 PM
    It's great to experience Android. I was hesitating switching to an Android phone from iPhone at first, but it was a great to try two large operating systems. I used iPhone for about a year and I felt like i'm falling behind from new trends because Android phones are releasing in a faster cycle. Even if you are not a smartphone geek like me, I recommend you to try it and experience something new!
    05-17-2012 05:06 PM
    Does the App marketplace screen apps to ensure that they don't harm the S3?
    05-17-2012 08:00 PM
    They do to an degree but its not that hard to tell the bad apps from the good just look at the reviews and if are like me and don't just download avg antivirus for free

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    05-17-2012 08:33 PM
    Will the US version have the Quadcore processor or dualcore processor? Is the US version going to be 4G LTE?
    05-17-2012 09:49 PM
    Yeah its gonna come with lte

05-17-2012 09:52 PM
    Quadcore or Dualcore processor in the US?
    05-17-2012 09:56 PM
    We dont know for sure yet. Probably the dual core S4 Qualcomm chip though.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    05-18-2012 04:12 PM
    Full disclosure...been a RIM user since 2006...currently have a 9810 Torch and a 9900 Bold as well as a Playbook.

After watching the S3 review on phonearena, I am sorely tempted to make the switch to Android but am intimidated by the user interface as it is so different from RIM. Has anyone else made the transition? Will the S3 synch with MS Outlook?
    I'll get straight to the point. YES to both your questions.

I also have been with RIM for about 4 years (after migrating from Palm to Windows Mobile then eventually to RIM). The reason being I am wedded to my stand-alone Outlook dependence. NOT Exchange, not part of a network, simply Outlook on my own PC for my contacts + calendar + tasks.

I have dipped my toe in Android a number of times, and liked the UI and apps etc., but it has been impossible to find a straightforward sync with Outlook, so I never stuck around or gave up my BB.

Only when somebody pointed me to an app called MyPhoneExplorer were my prayers finally answered. It did everything the old Activesync used to do on Windows Mobile or BB Desktop Manager now does in syncing with Outlook. And it works over wifi so you never need plug your phone into your computer. Brilliant.

I finally made the switch to the Samsung Galaxy S2 a few months ago and am loving it.

Yes you do need a gmail account, but I simply signed up just to have the account but don't use it EVER or even acknowledge its existence. Just whenever I have to sign up for the Market or if I switch phones I use the account name and password then forget it exists.

As someone already mentioned, K9Mail is brilliant for amalgamating your pop email accounts and rules/signatures etc.

There was a learning curve to using a touch screen keyboard (still not as good as my Bold 9900 keyboard, nor will it ever be), but the advantage of the Kindle, Skype and Viber apps and big-beautiful screen makes up for that.

Go for it.
    05-19-2012 07:04 AM
    Are these Outlook mail apps free or paid? I may have received un-intentional misinformation or completely misunderstood but the AT&T reps that I have talked to mentioned that the functionality is already present on the S3.
    05-19-2012 10:29 AM
    Does it matter that I have a Comcast email account? That is where I receive all my email.
    Android has a stock email app but I must tell you that using gmail is the easiest. There are many email apps etc but I have found that gmail simply works the best with android. Having a gmail account also makes sure all of your email, contacts and calendar are backed up onto google.

I do use the stock email app for other emails that I had before I had gmail but for me, gmail is just too simple not to use on android.

Also, coming from Blackberry, I doubt you will be going back...unless email is the most important thing in your life. Even my company which is quite large, will probably be giving up blackberry in favor of iphone later this year.
    05-19-2012 12:08 PM
    I was told that the GMail app will also poll my Comcast account. Will outgoing emails show as being sent out from the Comcast or the GMail account?
    05-19-2012 12:13 PM
    Can anyone screenshot the Gmail app showing non-Gmail email addresses?
    05-19-2012 02:45 PM
    In the phonearena video review, is the volume rocker switch also another back button?
    05-19-2012 02:46 PM
    I have Gmail set to poll my Hotmail account every 30 minutes. Works like a champ.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    05-19-2012 02:49 PM
    Does it show as hotmail in the app? It would be a huge hassle since there are so many places that have my Comcast address to switch to Gmail as the primary email. I plan on getting a Gmail only for reasons stated by other users. Can you post a screenshot?
    05-19-2012 02:55 PM
    Are these Outlook mail apps free or paid? I may have received un-intentional misinformation or completely misunderstood but the AT&T reps that I have talked to mentioned that the functionality is already present on the S3.
    There is already an email app on the S3 of course, and it works fine. The K9mail programme is just better featured including automatic forwarding (CC-ing copies of sent emails to yourself) and other useful little tidbits. And it is free.

So is the MyPhoneExplorer for syncing with Outlook.
    05-19-2012 04:28 PM
    I'll get straight to the point. YES to both your questions.

I also have been with RIM for about 4 years (after migrating from Palm to Windows Mobile then eventually to RIM). The reason being I am wedded to my stand-alone Outlook dependence. NOT Exchange, not part of a network, simply Outlook on my own PC for my contacts + calendar + tasks.

I have dipped my toe in Android a number of times, and liked the UI and apps etc., but it has been impossible to find a straightforward sync with Outlook, so I never stuck around or gave up my BB.

Only when somebody pointed me to an app called MyPhoneExplorer were my prayers finally answered. It did everything the old Activesync used to do on Windows Mobile or BB Desktop Manager now does in syncing with Outlook. And it works over wifi so you never need plug your phone into your computer. Brilliant.

I finally made the switch to the Samsung Galaxy S2 a few months ago and am loving it.

Yes you do need a gmail account, but I simply signed up just to have the account but don't use it EVER or even acknowledge its existence. Just whenever I have to sign up for the Market or if I switch phones I use the account name and password then forget it exists.

As someone already mentioned, K9Mail is brilliant for amalgamating your pop email accounts and rules/signatures etc.

There was a learning curve to using a touch screen keyboard (still not as good as my Bold 9900 keyboard, nor will it ever be), but the advantage of the Kindle, Skype and Viber apps and big-beautiful screen makes up for that.

Go for it.
    A HUGE second for the MyPhoneExplorer app - I have a love/hate relationship with Outlook but I've been using it for so long I'm used to it and just can't find a suitable replacement. Had the same issues with Outlook/Android sync until that app.
    05-19-2012 07:36 PM
    Because Qualcomm has integrated LTE to their baseband processor, it is likely found to be dual core, however Samsung is doing their own chip set, so it is possible a quad core may ship...
    I am heavily tied into MS Outlook, and have been using the stock email app on Android on my Galaxy S2, without any issues. I add a contact, it shows up on my PC with in seconds, no syncing issues.
    05-19-2012 07:37 PM
    There is already an email app on the S3 of course, and it works fine. The K9mail programme is just better featured including automatic forwarding (CC-ing copies of sent emails to yourself) and other useful little tidbits. And it is free.

So is the MyPhoneExplorer for syncing with Outlook.
    Each of the manufacturers (Moto, HTC, Samsung) has their own e-mail app that has varying degrees of functionality - I actually like the HTC mail app for aggregating my e-mail accounts rather than G-Mail (although I use the G-Mail app and Hotmail app to look at those accounts if I want to focus on those accounts individually). E-Mail is a very personal thing and there are a ton of e-mail clients available for Android - one of the things you will love about Android is choice - there will be lots of things available to do just about anything you want (the other big choice is what kind of Keyboard app to use - the favorites usually boil down to Swype or Swiftkey - I'm a Swiftkey person myself). Also, just get used to the fact that you will never feel as good about typing on a touch screen as you did a hardware keyboard (although predictive text gets pretty good after a while. Good luck - you won't regret the move and yes you can go back if you want (who knows - maybe Blackberry 10 will be awesome).
    05-19-2012 07:41 PM
    Is there an app for call blocking and filtering? Is there an email blocker that blocks the address or the domain?
    05-19-2012 08:44 PM
    Yes and yes

05-19-2012 08:51 PM
    What are they called and are they free or paid?
    05-19-2012 09:13 PM
    Lots of research to be done here for sure!! I definitely don't see you regretting your choice to switch.

Considering how you seem to have a lot of app-related questions, I would suggest browsing the Android Market here: https://play.google.com/store/apps

There you should be able to see all apps available in the android market, allowing you to see for yourself what all is available. It is typically more beneficial to you if you find a few apps yourself and then check the reviews to see if they're any good.

You can also check the Amazon App Store, just Google that one. It's another app store where you can get your app fix, and they give a free app every day (they usually are sucky apps but sometimes you'll find a good one).

Again, good luck!
    05-20-2012 02:18 AM
    I admit that I don't have a lot of tech knowledge and experience much less any true understanding of the Android environment but, with the XDP "borrowing" of the S-Voice, I am starting to question my decision to transition to an Android device. If companies can take parts or all of the Samsung Nature UXI software with no consequences, then how secure are our personal devices? What other than hardware makes these devices different from the competition? How does one maker protect its brand? Modifying the OS is one thing in open software environment is one thing but taking the IP of Samsung and putting it on other Android devices should be grounds for XDP being sued by Samsung. Maybe I am too much of a newb, but is open software an open license to steal intellectual property? It seems if there are a lot of gray areas in the Android world. I come from a world in which there is gray but there is also black and white or right and wrong. It may occur in other OS environments where features are added or created versus competition and could be considered a gray area or borderline plagiarism. No wonder phone brands have to release so many model every year just to keep up. Apple only make one model every year. RIM releases one version of a model like the Bold with possibly different form factors and GSM/non-GSM a year.
    05-20-2012 12:43 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD