No Android Experience-Tempted by the S3

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
From what I've seen in the reviews here at Android Central, the SGSIII looks to have everything done very well. It features a newer updated version of Samsung Touchwiz UI. Touchwiz is Samsung's version of a UI, HTC has Sense, Moto has Blur.. etc.. Last but not least is the Nexus line (Galaxy Nexus) which is Pure Google experience, meaning no bloatware, no manufacture UI, just pure Android.

This is all a personal choice as to what you like to see in a UI. They all basically offer the same, just the way its presented and designed to be used and integrated into the device/OS.

Aside from what you probably have already seen in reviews you have watched I'm guessing as many others are that once the SGSIII hits stateside you will see some slight changes to it from its overseas counterparts. Most noted is the opinion of the Home key button and what processor will it be using. Carriers may also want to put their own little spin on things too... Sprint is famous for making a device "special" and stand out from its sister variants on other US carriers, hence see the Epic 4g (physical keyboard) and the HTC EVO 4g LTE which has some changes over its sister devices the HTC One on AT & T and T Mobile.

You have noticeably been doing your homework so keep up the studying and choose wisely. After all once you get past that 14 day return window your married to whatever you choose for the next 2 years.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to remove the bloatware? I guess that I will have to "force" myself to go back and try the Nexus.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I am guessing that rooting has to be done with every new Android OS flavor?

Is there a must-have accessory or case to go the S3? Once OB comes out with a Defender version, I would seriously plan on getting one as many times as I drop phones.

mwandroboy

May 15, 2012
Visit site
It's great to experience Android. I was hesitating switching to an Android phone from iPhone at first, but it was a great to try two large operating systems. I used iPhone for about a year and I felt like i'm falling behind from new trends because Android phones are releasing in a faster cycle. Even if you are not a smartphone geek like me, I recommend you to try it and experience something new!:)

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
They do to an degree but its not that hard to tell the bad apps from the good just look at the reviews and if are like me and don't just download avg antivirus for free

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Will the US version have the Quadcore processor or dualcore processor? Is the US version going to be 4G LTE?

umdur man

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Full disclosure...been a RIM user since 2006...currently have a 9810 Torch and a 9900 Bold as well as a Playbook.

After watching the S3 review on phonearena, I am sorely tempted to make the switch to Android but am intimidated by the user interface as it is so different from RIM. Has anyone else made the transition? Will the S3 synch with MS Outlook?

I'll get straight to the point. YES to both your questions.

I also have been with RIM for about 4 years (after migrating from Palm to Windows Mobile then eventually to RIM). The reason being I am wedded to my stand-alone Outlook dependence. NOT Exchange, not part of a network, simply Outlook on my own PC for my contacts + calendar + tasks.

I have dipped my toe in Android a number of times, and liked the UI and apps etc., but it has been impossible to find a straightforward sync with Outlook, so I never stuck around or gave up my BB.

Only when somebody pointed me to an app called MyPhoneExplorer were my prayers finally answered. It did everything the old Activesync used to do on Windows Mobile or BB Desktop Manager now does in syncing with Outlook. And it works over wifi so you never need plug your phone into your computer. Brilliant.

I finally made the switch to the Samsung Galaxy S2 a few months ago and am loving it.

Yes you do need a gmail account, but I simply signed up just to have the account but don't use it EVER or even acknowledge its existence. Just whenever I have to sign up for the Market or if I switch phones I use the account name and password then forget it exists.

As someone already mentioned, K9Mail is brilliant for amalgamating your pop email accounts and rules/signatures etc.

There was a learning curve to using a touch screen keyboard (still not as good as my Bold 9900 keyboard, nor will it ever be), but the advantage of the Kindle, Skype and Viber apps and big-beautiful screen makes up for that.

Go for it.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Are these Outlook mail apps free or paid? I may have received un-intentional misinformation or completely misunderstood but the AT&T reps that I have talked to mentioned that the functionality is already present on the S3.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Does it matter that I have a Comcast email account? That is where I receive all my email.

Android has a stock email app but I must tell you that using gmail is the easiest. There are many email apps etc but I have found that gmail simply works the best with android. Having a gmail account also makes sure all of your email, contacts and calendar are backed up onto google.

I do use the stock email app for other emails that I had before I had gmail but for me, gmail is just too simple not to use on android.

Also, coming from Blackberry, I doubt you will be going back...unless email is the most important thing in your life. Even my company which is quite large, will probably be giving up blackberry in favor of iphone later this year.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I was told that the GMail app will also poll my Comcast account. Will outgoing emails show as being sent out from the Comcast or the GMail account?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have Gmail set to poll my Hotmail account every 30 minutes. Works like a champ.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36