No Android Experience-Tempted by the S3

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Does it show as hotmail in the app? It would be a huge hassle since there are so many places that have my Comcast address to switch to Gmail as the primary email. I plan on getting a Gmail only for reasons stated by other users. Can you post a screenshot?

umdur man

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Are these Outlook mail apps free or paid? I may have received un-intentional misinformation or completely misunderstood but the AT&T reps that I have talked to mentioned that the functionality is already present on the S3.

There is already an email app on the S3 of course, and it works fine. The K9mail programme is just better featured including automatic forwarding (CC-ing copies of sent emails to yourself) and other useful little tidbits. And it is free.

So is the MyPhoneExplorer for syncing with Outlook.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'll get straight to the point. YES to both your questions.

I also have been with RIM for about 4 years (after migrating from Palm to Windows Mobile then eventually to RIM). The reason being I am wedded to my stand-alone Outlook dependence. NOT Exchange, not part of a network, simply Outlook on my own PC for my contacts + calendar + tasks.

I have dipped my toe in Android a number of times, and liked the UI and apps etc., but it has been impossible to find a straightforward sync with Outlook, so I never stuck around or gave up my BB.

Only when somebody pointed me to an app called MyPhoneExplorer were my prayers finally answered. It did everything the old Activesync used to do on Windows Mobile or BB Desktop Manager now does in syncing with Outlook. And it works over wifi so you never need plug your phone into your computer. Brilliant.

I finally made the switch to the Samsung Galaxy S2 a few months ago and am loving it.

Yes you do need a gmail account, but I simply signed up just to have the account but don't use it EVER or even acknowledge its existence. Just whenever I have to sign up for the Market or if I switch phones I use the account name and password then forget it exists.

As someone already mentioned, K9Mail is brilliant for amalgamating your pop email accounts and rules/signatures etc.

There was a learning curve to using a touch screen keyboard (still not as good as my Bold 9900 keyboard, nor will it ever be), but the advantage of the Kindle, Skype and Viber apps and big-beautiful screen makes up for that.

Go for it.

A HUGE second for the MyPhoneExplorer app - I have a love/hate relationship with Outlook but I've been using it for so long I'm used to it and just can't find a suitable replacement. Had the same issues with Outlook/Android sync until that app.

eewhiz

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Quadcore or Dualcore processor in the US?

Because Qualcomm has integrated LTE to their baseband processor, it is likely found to be dual core, however Samsung is doing their own chip set, so it is possible a quad core may ship...
I am heavily tied into MS Outlook, and have been using the stock email app on Android on my Galaxy S2, without any issues. I add a contact, it shows up on my PC with in seconds, no syncing issues.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
There is already an email app on the S3 of course, and it works fine. The K9mail programme is just better featured including automatic forwarding (CC-ing copies of sent emails to yourself) and other useful little tidbits. And it is free.

So is the MyPhoneExplorer for syncing with Outlook.

Each of the manufacturers (Moto, HTC, Samsung) has their own e-mail app that has varying degrees of functionality - I actually like the HTC mail app for aggregating my e-mail accounts rather than G-Mail (although I use the G-Mail app and Hotmail app to look at those accounts if I want to focus on those accounts individually). E-Mail is a very personal thing and there are a ton of e-mail clients available for Android - one of the things you will love about Android is choice - there will be lots of things available to do just about anything you want (the other big choice is what kind of Keyboard app to use - the favorites usually boil down to Swype or Swiftkey - I'm a Swiftkey person myself). Also, just get used to the fact that you will never feel as good about typing on a touch screen as you did a hardware keyboard (although predictive text gets pretty good after a while. Good luck - you won't regret the move and yes you can go back if you want (who knows - maybe Blackberry 10 will be awesome).

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Is there an app for call blocking and filtering? Is there an email blocker that blocks the address or the domain?

turbofan

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Lots of research to be done here for sure!! I definitely don't see you regretting your choice to switch.

Considering how you seem to have a lot of app-related questions, I would suggest browsing the Android Market here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s://play.google.com/store/apps&token=_jjzo2gx

There you should be able to see all apps available in the android market, allowing you to see for yourself what all is available. It is typically more beneficial to you if you find a few apps yourself and then check the reviews to see if they're any good.

You can also check the Amazon App Store, just Google that one. It's another app store where you can get your app fix, and they give a free app every day (they usually are sucky apps but sometimes you'll find a good one).

Again, good luck!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I admit that I don't have a lot of tech knowledge and experience much less any true understanding of the Android environment but, with the XDP "borrowing" of the S-Voice, I am starting to question my decision to transition to an Android device. If companies can take parts or all of the Samsung Nature UXI software with no consequences, then how secure are our personal devices? What other than hardware makes these devices different from the competition? How does one maker protect its brand? Modifying the OS is one thing in open software environment is one thing but taking the IP of Samsung and putting it on other Android devices should be grounds for XDP being sued by Samsung. Maybe I am too much of a newb, but is open software an open license to steal intellectual property? It seems if there are a lot of gray areas in the Android world. I come from a world in which there is gray but there is also black and white or right and wrong. It may occur in other OS environments where features are added or created versus competition and could be considered a gray area or borderline plagiarism. No wonder phone brands have to release so many model every year just to keep up. Apple only make one model every year. RIM releases one version of a model like the Bold with possibly different form factors and GSM/non-GSM a year.

mud314

May 18, 2012
Visit site
You are already used to menus, so that is a plus on your side. Unlike iOS, Android does have menu/settings within the app that allow MORE control over what you want to do and not limited by only three options. Android is a good enough platform, you will not like the battery life that Android handsets provide, specially if you are going with a LTE phone, forget it. That will be the #1 thing you will need to remember is that it's always best to carry a power supply.

Build quality on Samsung handsets is not what you are used to, RIM has very good build quality to them, strong, durable and can take a beating. The S3 while beautiful the outside is all plastic, they feel light and we immediately "assume" cheap.

I'm currently on an iPhone and patiently waiting for the summer to see what we are going to be getting this year. iOS is nice and hardly ever any issues, but man the UI gets really old really fast. I don't see how people can go from iPhone to iPhone, I have had mine for 6 months and done w/it.

VetteDude

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
S-Voice is just an .apk file. Your personal info is safe.

And making multiple handsets a year is a bad thing? You point out RIM releasing 1 flavor a year, but it doesn't matter if it sucks.

Wicell

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I am guessing that rooting has to be done with every new Android OS flavor?

Is there a must-have accessory or case to go the S3? Once OB comes out with a Defender version, I would seriously plan on getting one as many times as I drop phones.

To be honest, you don't really need to root your device, sometimes this "bloatware" people complain about isn't really all that bad, most people on this site and forums are Power Users, they love to dabble in the modded world of Android, I must say I am one of them, I'm rooted and ROMed, and most of these ROMs have all forms of "bloatware" removed, but I still find myself going to the Play Store and downloading some of those apps. I recommend just trying the plain Android experience and once you're fully submerged with it then maybe thinking about the rooting option.

I have no idea if they are going to make a case for the S3, I assume they will, and if they do, definitely look out for the Ballistic brand case. I have one for my S2 Epic 4G Touch and I love it, the extra padding on the corners add grip support, which I find very helpful for this larger than average phones. Also look into spare batteries, the battery life of Samsung phones is getting better and better, but it's nice to know if you're going to be away from home for an extended duration that you don't have to worry about carrying a charger with you.

Does the App marketplace screen apps to ensure that they don't harm the S3?
It's actually very rare that apps sneak into the market place that can cause harm to a phone. There are some apps that do annoying things such as push an advertisement into your notification bar, but you can easily just uninstall the app and it goes away. One app I recommend wholeheartedly is Lookout Security & Antivirus, by Lookout Mobile Security. This app scans all apps you install and will tell you if safe or not. It is free, but there is also a subscription service within it that adds some features like "SafeBrowsing" like a PC's anti-virus that scans sites you travel to, to warn of any sites that could be seen as malicious. It also allows you to track your device if lost or stolen.

Lookout also makes handy apps such as "Ad Network Detector" (Helpful if you can't find which app is push ads to your notification bar), or worst case scenario apps such as "Plan B."

Are these Outlook mail apps free or paid? I may have received un-intentional misinformation or completely misunderstood but the AT&T reps that I have talked to mentioned that the functionality is already present on the S3.

I believe it's on all Android devices, but it could just be Samsung devices. When you get your device, open Settings, go to Accounts and sync, and press "Add Account," when you do this, there should be 3 options. Add Corporate, Add Email, and Add Gmail. If you press "Add Corporate" it allows you to add your Exchange account to your device, although I apologize if these are not the same, I don't have either outlook or exchange.

Of course if you need to find an app for it you can pull one from the Play Store. You'll usually be able to find both Free and Paid apps for almost anything, but Paid apps can sometimes be better and more feature filled. I recommend seeing if a paid app has a less feature filled free version and trying it out, if you like it then maybe investing in the paid version would be a good idea. but be sure to try multiple free versions before deciding which one, if any, that you want to invest in.

I admit that I don't have a lot of tech knowledge and experience much less any true understanding of the Android environment but, with the XDP "borrowing" of the S-Voice, I am starting to question my decision to transition to an Android device. If companies can take parts or all of the Samsung Nature UXI software with no consequences, then how secure are our personal devices? What other than hardware makes these devices different from the competition? How does one maker protect its brand? Modifying the OS is one thing in open software environment is one thing but taking the IP of Samsung and putting it on other Android devices should be grounds for XDP being sued by Samsung. Maybe I am too much of a newb, but is open software an open license to steal intellectual property? It seems if there are a lot of gray areas in the Android world. I come from a world in which there is gray but there is also black and white or right and wrong. It may occur in other OS environments where features are added or created versus competition and could be considered a gray area or borderline plagiarism. No wonder phone brands have to release so many model every year just to keep up. Apple only make one model every year. RIM releases one version of a model like the Bold with possibly different form factors and GSM/non-GSM a year.

It seems that this would be wrongful to Samsung, but it really isn't. Samsung is an Android modder or hacker's best friend. Their devices are the easiest to system and app files from so that custom ROMs and apps can be made from. If Samsung truly didn't want stuff like "S-Voice" or "Pop-up Play" to be moved around and changed a little, they could lock down their devices like HTC and Motorola. Not to mention "S-Voice," although an IP to Samsung, isn't really an original idea of Samsung, it's just a readily available technology that Samsung has integrated into their device with added features to fully navigate your device.

The beauty of Android is that at the deepest core, all devices are the same in the software aspect. The base is Android, and the differentiating factor is the manufacturer's UX (UI, UX, Same difference.), what each manufacturer puts forth in the phone to make it say "Hey I'm a ______ (Htc, Sony, Samsung, LG, Moto, etc.) device is the UX. It's because all these devices are Android based that makes it so that if someone loves the device they own, but wish they could an app feature 'exclusive' to another brand of device, can simply search for an app that works just like it, without them having to give up their beloved device (and a few hundred dollars).

Your personal device is as secure as you let it be, you can lock it, put app protectors and locks on it. You can get things that monitor what other apps do to your device. But ultimately it's you that secures your phone and data. It's easy to just say "ooo, I want this app," and download it without even reading what it can access, but there is a reason you have to hit "Accept & Download," you need to read those permissions an app is given, you need to read reviews to see if other people experience problems with the app, and you need to understand what a permission means an app can do. It seems like this is really just a bunch of stuff that eats away your time, but if you like (love in my, and many other cases) your device, protect it, take the extra five seconds to read why an app needs to know your location, or needs network location. I promise you it is worth it. :cool:

onick

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Is there an app for call blocking and filtering? Is there an email blocker that blocks the address or the domain?

my galaxy s2 has native option to block / reject calls. you will also find many call block program in android market, some of them are free, some of them are paid.

i am using go sms pro as an alternative of my default sms program and it has sms block option as well.

Wicell

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Build quality on Samsung handsets is not what you are used to, RIM has very good build quality to them, strong, durable and can take a beating. The S3 while beautiful the outside is all plastic, they feel light and we immediately "assume" cheap.
I honestly love how lite my plastic Epic 4G Touch is, it can tak a beating and come up with maybe a scratch or scuff on the rim, but i'll take that over a dent in metal, or cracked glass back.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Dude.. am totally with you since I've been with an iPhone for years and have been researching the Note, Skyrocket, One X and now the GS3 which appears to be ready for the "King of Android" title. And the reason I say this has to do with the tons and tons of issues showing up very early on with the HTC One X. I thought it was a pretty cool phone, but did not like the limitation of the sealed back, lack of microSD slot and the blazing WiFi issue that has yet to be resolved.

What is interesting to me is that you seem to 'know' that ATT is getting the GS3 next month, and yet I haven't seen any press to that effect? How do you know this and have they mentioned a price too? Or are you simply assuming it since they have the Skrocket (which of course, makes sense). And yes, I'm a long standing ATT customer and will likely remain since ATT's LTE network is blazing fast and is also simultaneous voice/data for ALL devices.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Samsung in numerous articles has mentioned that the US drop will be in June. The i5 is Also rumored to announce a release in their June global meetings. AT&T has also been mentioned many times as one of the four US carriers. Pricing is based upon past history and rumor of past smartphones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781