05-30-2012 01:46 PM
58 123
tools
    I'm in the car alot and like the voice applications. I have VoiceTalk on my GNote and it's the best one I've played with so far, though far from perfect. I had Vlingo on my Skyrocket and ripped it out because I got tired of repeating myself. VoiceTalk much more reliable. I am hoping S Talk is the next step now. VoiceTalk gets me to Play Music but doesn't get me the songs I want playing. It opens apps and stops there. I want the Star Trek computer that I speak to and it does what I tell it to do, period. The more interest we show in these programs the more the majors like Samsung and Apple will push it. I really like where it's going.
    05-22-2012 07:11 AM
    I've found that Dragon Go works pretty well most of the time. Only thing about these voice apps I don't like is that if you like to ride with the windows down in your car, it makes them pretty much useless because of the wind noise.
    05-22-2012 08:01 AM
    Voice control is a novelty since the technology doesnt work perfectly. Ive noticed from experience both Siri and S Voice have a dificulty at times understanding what you say and often times will give you a response different from what you expected.
    Please tell me of any tech you know that DOES work perfectly!!
    05-22-2012 09:04 AM
    I think it's a pretty cool concept. It will just get better as technology improves of course. I wouldn't write it off just yet.
    05-22-2012 09:13 AM
    I'm not one for voice control, except in extremely rare situations. Can you imagine if someone was calling you and say to your friend "ugh, I really don't want to answer" and it accidentally answers for you? Voice control without physical input is a cool idea, but I wouldn't be comfortable with it.
    05-22-2012 09:14 AM
    I still wanna try out S-Voice. There a ROM over at XDA that has it built in so I'm gonna flash that soon. I just wanna see what hilarious things I could ask it to see what sort of response I get
    05-22-2012 10:01 AM
    Have you ever listened to the tone of your GPS when you continually do the opposite of the directions being given? I personally get a kick out of it. My sister heard the "attitude" and couldn't stop laughing. The 'tude usually begins once I'm being told the 5th or 6th time to turn right or left and I don't.

I really am serious!
    Ha ha! I would love to, but I have only heard Gnav on ice cream sandwich, before that on ginger, and before that on froyo, it was rocking. I use map quest on iOS. It sounds legit. I was driving home from a friends house when that Google lady started to cry, it was right before I hit the mysterious toll road! Got the bill to prove it!
    My GPS likes to either get me killed or yell at me. One time it told me to keep left on the highway then when I was about 500ft away from an exit it yelled to exit right. Another time it told me to turn right through a side rail and into some wooded area.

This one time in Maryland, I turned off the highway to get some gas and the little car went all over the map and she kept yelling "RECALCULATING!"
    05-22-2012 10:06 AM
    My GPS likes to either get me killed or yell at me. One time it told me to keep left on the highway then when I was about 500ft away from an exit it yelled to exit right. Another time it told me to turn right through a side rail and into some wooded area.

This one time in Maryland, I turned off the highway to get some gas and the little car went all over the map and she kept yelling "RECALCULATING!"
    that is a prob with alot of gps's
    05-22-2012 10:42 AM
    Years ago we said that we'll never have these fancy communicators like Star Trek. Check your pocket.
    Years ago we said we'd never have truly protable computers. Check your pocket.
    Years ago we were amazed by all of the things that the people on Star Trek and Star Wars and insert sci fi show or movie here were able to do with these little portable devices. Check your pocket.

Yeah. We'll never need or use a function that allows us to command our electonics by voice.

Oh. Wait.
    05-22-2012 11:07 AM
    Years ago we said that we'll never have these fancy communicators like Star Trek. Check your pocket.
    Years ago we said we'd never have truly protable computers. Check your pocket.
    Years ago we were amazed by all of the things that the people on Star Trek and Star Wars and insert sci fi show or movie here were able to do with these little portable devices. Check your pocket.

Yeah. We'll never need or use a function that allows us to command our electonics by voice.

Oh. Wait.
    Geez. Are you like 60?
    toddydogood likes this.
    05-22-2012 11:12 AM
    Geez. Are you like 60?
    lol ...
    05-22-2012 11:38 AM
    lol ...
    Hah! S-Voice/Siri--the clap-on light of smartphones.
    ClintRo likes this.
    05-22-2012 11:49 AM
    So, any news about Google's Assistant, the voice tool they're supposed to be working on since last year?

The voice recognition in ICS is so much better, I have hopes for this.
    05-22-2012 01:34 PM
    I think my main concern with these voice integrations more than anything is actually remembering that these voice functionalities are actually present, I guess im just a visual learner. And if it's running all the time, you will probably say a trigger phrase in your normal day to day conversation, so it may end up doing all this stuff you're not aware of...
    05-22-2012 06:46 PM

Whatever happened to MEN. We need no direction!
    05-22-2012 08:04 PM

haha..

05-22-2012 08:23 PM
    ha

05-22-2012 08:45 PM
    05-22-2012 09:31 PM
    I installed it on my One X.

It sucks. I thought it was like a better Siri, welp, NO.

All she ask me is "what apps do I want to launch" or something like that. Blah. The roboto voice sucks too
    05-23-2012 01:05 AM
    Voice control is a novelty since the technology doesnt work perfectly.
    I mean no disrespect, but I must disagree. Voice control is a necessity for those with poor eyesight (like myself) or for those who cannot see at all. People that are blind or just have poor eyesight do indeed use cell phones. It matters not that the technology isn't perfect.. we'll take what we can get.
    05-23-2012 01:05 AM
    I mean no disrespect, but I must disagree. Voice control is a necessity for those with poor eyesight (like myself) or for those who cannot see at all. People that are blind or just have poor eyesight do indeed use cell phones. It matters not that the technology isn't perfect.. we'll take what we can get.
    This is an excellent point. Technology is meant to make everyone's life easier, and voice control is a big step in making it accessible.
    05-23-2012 01:43 AM
    Siri and S-voice head-to-head:

Johnly likes this.
    05-23-2012 04:21 AM
    Siri and S-voice head-to-head:

Well now it seems as if S Voice functions a lot better than Siri, i kinda cracked up when the woman asked to open CNN.com and S Voice did it without any problem but Siri just kept messing up. I think ill retract what ive said in the past now that ive watched this video. S Voice seems to be better than Siri.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
    05-23-2012 04:36 AM
    I installed it on my One X.

It sucks. I thought it was like a better Siri, welp, NO.

All she ask me is "what apps do I want to launch" or something like that. Blah. The roboto voice sucks too
    Most voice is a novelty. But dont think id judge it but using an early .apk from an unreleased phone on a device it wasn't ment for.

As for voice? It uses what you have installed which is the default google chick. Dont like it? Install svox and pick a new on.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    05-23-2012 07:26 AM
    S voice seems awesome.
    05-23-2012 08:34 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD