05-30-2012 01:46 PM
58 123
tools
    I can't set alarm
    Can someone tell me what to do to get it to work?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus (stock) using Android Central Forums
    05-23-2012 08:41 AM
    Whatever happened to MEN. We need no direction!
    Men never need to stop for directions and that's still the case
    05-23-2012 11:19 AM
    This is a very interesting subject.

Not only is voice control important to the hard of seeing, but also to amputees. My daughter lost her left arm, so she does not text or anything. I am looking for a phone that does have a good voice recognition so that she can not only send text, but make calls and do just about everything via her voice before I buy her a smart phone.

Any real suggestions?
    05-23-2012 12:04 PM
    This is a very interesting subject.

Not only is voice control important to the hard of seeing, but also to amputees. My daughter lost her left arm, so she does not text or anything. I am looking for a phone that does have a good voice recognition so that she can not only send text, but make calls and do just about everything via her voice before I buy her a smart phone.

Any real suggestions?
    Bless her. I hope what she might lack in physical ability, she more than makes up for with heart and mind. There are incredible stories of triumph told only by people faced with such disabilities.

I guess what smartphone you choose for her would depend on her age, capability, needs and of course, what she thinks is "cool" lol. S-voice seems to allow function without touching the phone at all and generally more commands, whilst Siri is limited to a few functions only. I'm sure Siri will go fully-functional and out of beta with ios 6 in the next month or so though.
    BigGuyNH, Jimieo and metz65 like this.
    05-23-2012 02:13 PM
    Bless her. I hope what she might lack in physical ability, she more than makes up for with heart and mind. There are incredible stories of triumph told only by people faced with such disabilities.

I guess what smartphone you choose for her would depend on her age, capability, needs and of course, what she thinks is "cool" lol. S-voice seems to allow function without touching the phone at all and generally more commands, whilst Siri is limited to a few functions only. I'm sure Siri will go fully-functional and out of beta with ios 6 in the next month or so though.
    I just might be a little biased, well, maybe more than a little, but she is the GREATEST human I know. She has done many things that us common folk can't.

Try to tie your shoes with one hand -

Her only problem is that she is a very practical person, which is a blessing and a curse.

I plan to take her to the Verizon store on her B-day and get her one that she "Likes" ( can I say that in this era of Facebook?)

Thank you for your comments.
    05-29-2012 01:45 PM
    Bless your daughter as well, the mind does triumph everything.

Google has a project called Assistant (Majel) that they will hopefully release soon, it is supposed to be better than Siri as well. If you do decide to get an Android phone, it will most likely work on it.

You can also try out Vlingo Labs (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...vlingo.phoenix) from the Google play store. S Voice is based on this technology.

Looking forward a few months, I think we might see some improvements in this area in iPhone 5. The next Nexus phones might have accessibility improvements though that is less likely. You probably also want to consider the phone size since the larger Android phones are hard to use with one hand. The iPhone is a very user friendly and easy to use phone, so let her try it out.
    05-29-2012 02:18 PM
    I just might be a little biased, well, maybe more than a little, but she is the GREATEST human I know. She has done many things that us common folk can't.

Try to tie your shoes with one hand -

Her only problem is that she is a very practical person, which is a blessing and a curse.

I plan to take her to the Verizon store on her B-day and get her one that she "Likes" ( can I say that in this era of Facebook?)

Thank you for your comments.

The world is her oyster. I've seen people do less with 2 hands than with 1.
    Like the comment about "likes".lol
    05-29-2012 04:34 PM
    Bless your daughter, I would hold out for the next couple months to see what Apple has planned for Siri. Tim Cook says Apple is 'doubling down' on Siri, promises new features in 'coming months' | The Verge

And heres an article on Siri vs S-Voice you might want to check out. Siri vs. S Voice: battle of the robot-voiced assistants | The Verge
    05-30-2012 01:46 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD