S Voice isn't just Vlingo/Siri

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
What makes it different from any other voice app is its part of the OS.

e.g. get a call, you can say 'Answer' or 'Ignore'
alarm rings, just say 'Snooze'

You don't have to launch an app or press buttons to do this, the phone is always active and listening. No one else does this!

IMO there is a lot of potential. e.g. when looking at an email/web page/picture you could just say 'forward to my family' and it would forward it to your family group. Things like that can be done and my hope is Samsung update the software often.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Meh. Voice control in general is a novelty, not just its particular functionality.
The privacy concern of it constantly listening is also worrisome. I'm not sure I like the idea of my phone constantly listening to me. Sure, the mic could constantly be recording and I wouldn't know, but this in conjunction with something like CarrierIQ could be nasty.

cd36

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Voice control seems like a big novelty to me as well. And I definately don't think it is worth the battery consption to have it constantly listen and processing everything it hears to see if it is a usaable command.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Just saying it is a little bit more impressive and functional. It may not be all that useful, in fact it makes it easy to ignore the alarm :)

snoopyandroid

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Voice control seems like a big novelty to me as well. And I definately don't think it is worth the battery consption to have it constantly listen and processing everything it hears to see if it is a usaable command.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Said the guy with HTC one x phone. I can see how you'd say that with your x having a smaller battery. I'd be concerned about battery consumption if I were you as well. J/K :)

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
What makes it different from any other voice app is its part of the OS.

e.g. get a call, you can say 'Answer' or 'Ignore'
alarm rings, just say 'Snooze'

You don't have to launch an app or press buttons to do this, the phone is always active and listening. No one else does this!

IMO there is a lot of potential. e.g. when looking at an email/web page/picture you could just say 'forward to my family' and it would forward it to your family group. Things like that can be done and my hope is Samsung update the software often.

It's does sound pretty impressive....

Said the guy with HTC one x phone. I can see how you'd say that with your x having a smaller battery. I'd be concerned about battery consumption if I were you as well.

...If it works the way they say it does. Accents...slurs...grogginess...

Impact on battery probably isn't that bad.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Voice control is a novelty since the technology doesnt work perfectly. Ive noticed from experience both Siri and S Voice have a dificulty at times understanding what you say and often times will give you a response different from what you expected.

Jayshmay

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Meh. Voice control in general is a novelty, not just its particular functionality.
The privacy concern of it constantly listening is also worrisome. I'm not sure I like the Idea of my phone constantly listening to me. Sure, the mic could constantly be recording and I wouldn't know, but this in conjunction with something like CarrierIQ could be nasty.

Boy are you paranoid!!!

Reactions: j510

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
That siri commercial with Zoey is just so sad.
Like she has no real friends.

Reminds me of the little old lady that calls just because she wants to hear someones voice.

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
That siri commercial with Zoey is just so sad.
Like she has no real friends.

Reminds me of the little old lady that calls just because she wants to hear someones voice.

What's sad to me is someone who's looking out the window yet still needs their phone to tell them it's raining. Siri should have replied "Haven't you ever seen rain before, you stupid beeyotch?".

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
From the videos I've seen it looks like the same old vlingo with the mediocre voice recognition I have on my Epic Touch 4G just with some more hooks into the operating system. I dont use it now and likely wouldn't use it on future devices either.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
ha ha, funny stuff. Snooze damn it, wonder if it comprehends attitude....Awesome. Siri commercials are sad, way to much involvement with the app. It aint all that.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
ha ha, funny stuff. Snooze damn it, wonder if it comprehends attitude....Awesome. Siri commercials are sad, way to much involvement with the app. It aint all that.

Have you ever listened to the tone of your GPS when you continually do the opposite of the directions being given? I personally get a kick out of it. My sister heard the "attitude" and couldn't stop laughing. The 'tude usually begins once I'm being told the 5th or 6th time to turn right or left and I don't.

I really am serious!

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Have you ever listened to the tone of your GPS when you continually do the opposite of the directions being given? I personally get a kick out of it. My sister heard the "attitude" and couldn't stop laughing. The 'tude usually begins once I'm being told the 5th or 6th time to turn right or left and I don't.

I really am serious!

Ha ha! I would love to, but I have only heard Gnav on ice cream sandwich, before that on ginger, and before that on froyo, it was rocking. I use map quest on iOS. It sounds legit. I was driving home from a friends house when that Google lady started to cry, it was right before I hit the mysterious toll road! Got the bill to prove it!

imsofinite

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Voice control is a novelty since the technology doesnt work perfectly. Ive noticed from experience both Siri and S Voice have a dificulty at times understanding what you say and often times will give you a response different from what you expected.

Yeah, I think that keyboards are a novelty since they don't work perfectly.

Sarcasm aside, obviously voice recognition has become much better since its inception and will continue to do so. I had the ripped version of S Voice for about half a day before it stopped working, and its accuracy was surprisingly high; not perfect, but certainly acceptable. In no way would I want to use the service all the time, but there are plenty of situations in which I would find it tremendously useful.

Plus, I take any excuse that I get to be made aware that I'm using the space phone of my dreams and I think to myself "This is the future."

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I think its pretty cool, could be very helpful. Especially if Samsung comes out with their own little bluetooth that works well with it.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
It's does sound pretty impressive....

...If it works the way they say it does. Accents...slurs...grogginess...

Impact on battery probably isn't that bad.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Lol, maybe they can make it so it detects how drunk you are by how much you slur your words. Then it can tell you not to drive home...:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol