S Voice isn't just Vlingo/Siri

hell911

May 5, 2012
Visit site
My GPS likes to either get me killed or yell at me. One time it told me to keep left on the highway then when I was about 500ft away from an exit it yelled to exit right. Another time it told me to turn right through a side rail and into some wooded area.

This one time in Maryland, I turned off the highway to get some gas and the little car went all over the map and she kept yelling "RECALCULATING!"

haha..

images

Raadius

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I installed it on my One X.

It sucks. I thought it was like a better Siri, welp, NO.

All she ask me is "what apps do I want to launch" or something like that. Blah. The roboto voice sucks too

NoNameFace

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Voice control is a novelty since the technology doesnt work perfectly.

I mean no disrespect, but I must disagree. Voice control is a necessity for those with poor eyesight (like myself) or for those who cannot see at all. People that are blind or just have poor eyesight do indeed use cell phones. It matters not that the technology isn't perfect.. we'll take what we can get. ;)

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I mean no disrespect, but I must disagree. Voice control is a necessity for those with poor eyesight (like myself) or for those who cannot see at all. People that are blind or just have poor eyesight do indeed use cell phones. It matters not that the technology isn't perfect.. we'll take what we can get. ;)

This is an excellent point. Technology is meant to make everyone's life easier, and voice control is a big step in making it accessible.

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site

Well now it seems as if S Voice functions a lot better than Siri, i kinda cracked up when the woman asked to open CNN.com and S Voice did it without any problem but Siri just kept messing up. I think ill retract what ive said in the past now that ive watched this video. S Voice seems to be better than Siri.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Lorak

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I installed it on my One X.

It sucks. I thought it was like a better Siri, welp, NO.

All she ask me is "what apps do I want to launch" or something like that. Blah. The roboto voice sucks too

Most voice is a novelty. But dont think id judge it but using an early .apk from an unreleased phone on a device it wasn't ment for.

As for voice? It uses what you have installed which is the default google chick. Dont like it? Install svox and pick a new on.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

mattatwar

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I can't set alarm
Can someone tell me what to do to get it to work?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus (stock) using Android Central Forums

BigGuyNH

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
This is a very interesting subject.

Not only is voice control important to the hard of seeing, but also to amputees. My daughter lost her left arm, so she does not text or anything. I am looking for a phone that does have a good voice recognition so that she can not only send text, but make calls and do just about everything via her voice before I buy her a smart phone.

Any real suggestions?

Nashstruck

May 5, 2012
Visit site
This is a very interesting subject.

Not only is voice control important to the hard of seeing, but also to amputees. My daughter lost her left arm, so she does not text or anything. I am looking for a phone that does have a good voice recognition so that she can not only send text, but make calls and do just about everything via her voice before I buy her a smart phone.

Any real suggestions?

Bless her. I hope what she might lack in physical ability, she more than makes up for with heart and mind. There are incredible stories of triumph told only by people faced with such disabilities.

I guess what smartphone you choose for her would depend on her age, capability, needs and of course, what she thinks is "cool" lol. S-voice seems to allow function without touching the phone at all and generally more commands, whilst Siri is limited to a few functions only. I'm sure Siri will go fully-functional and out of beta with ios 6 in the next month or so though.

Reactions: Jimieo and metz65

BigGuyNH

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Bless her. I hope what she might lack in physical ability, she more than makes up for with heart and mind. There are incredible stories of triumph told only by people faced with such disabilities.

I guess what smartphone you choose for her would depend on her age, capability, needs and of course, what she thinks is "cool" lol. S-voice seems to allow function without touching the phone at all and generally more commands, whilst Siri is limited to a few functions only. I'm sure Siri will go fully-functional and out of beta with ios 6 in the next month or so though.

I just might be a little biased, well, maybe more than a little, but she is the GREATEST human I know. She has done many things that us common folk can't.

Try to tie your shoes with one hand -

Her only problem is that she is a very practical person, which is a blessing and a curse.

I plan to take her to the Verizon store on her B-day and get her one that she "Likes" ( can I say that in this era of Facebook?)

Thank you for your comments.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Bless your daughter as well, the mind does triumph everything.

Google has a project called Assistant (Majel) that they will hopefully release soon, it is supposed to be better than Siri as well. If you do decide to get an Android phone, it will most likely work on it.

You can also try out Vlingo Labs (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../details?id=com.vlingo.phoenix&token=gPqzYkfj) from the Google play store. S Voice is based on this technology.

Looking forward a few months, I think we might see some improvements in this area in iPhone 5. The next Nexus phones might have accessibility improvements though that is less likely. You probably also want to consider the phone size since the larger Android phones are hard to use with one hand. The iPhone is a very user friendly and easy to use phone, so let her try it out.

Nashstruck

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I just might be a little biased, well, maybe more than a little, but she is the GREATEST human I know. She has done many things that us common folk can't.

Try to tie your shoes with one hand -

Her only problem is that she is a very practical person, which is a blessing and a curse.

I plan to take her to the Verizon store on her B-day and get her one that she "Likes" ( can I say that in this era of Facebook?)

Thank you for your comments.

The world is her oyster. I've seen people do less with 2 hands than with 1.
Like the comment about "likes".lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy