05-24-2012 02:06 AM
52 123
tools
    I somewhat mentioned Sprint at the beginning when I said the Evo had issues. I forgot to expand on that, which was that Sprint was the issue. I love the Evo device, but I just cannot justify using Sprints network. I do admit I have had a great experiences with Sprints customer service, but the problem was that I had to go to their customer service so often. Back when I had a Palm Centro on Sprint I had no coverage about 95% of the day. I had absolutely no coverage at my house and at work. At home, I had to drive a half mile a way to make a call, and I lived in a very busy area with a mall less than a mile from my house. At work I had to drive a mile down the road to a gas station to get service. I've heard it is better now and they have added additional towers. Hell, my area had wimax before its official launch even, but i've also not heard good things since the iphone was added to Sprint and that it has really hurt the data speeds. Though, I have heard rumors Nashville is soon to have LTE for Sprint I am just not sure I could go back to them after my experiences. I will tip my hat to them though since they allowed me to break my contract with no ETF due to my issues.

As far as Tmo, I am having issues even finding someone who uses their service anymore. Everyone I knew who used Tmo has left them at one point or another to either get an iPhone or Android device not offered by Tmo. Also makes me worried that it could have been lack of good service that caused some to leave as well.

I need to just tie down a few people with Tmo and ATT and ride around with them for a while spamming speedtests and keeping an eye on reception lol.

As for Straight Talk, it worries me. I am still a little confused of its plans since it uses ATT and Verizon networks. I might have to check it out though. Are there any unlocked versions with the 2gb of ram that I keep hearing rumors about?
    05-23-2012 07:05 AM
    End of 2013 by then galaxy phone will b released.
    i Am with Sprint and is happy with it.

Would i like faster 3g and lte? yes i would love it more.

It is coming. 99% of sprints network will have LTE and improved 3g by the end of 2013. With network vision.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    05-23-2012 07:33 AM
    End of 2013 by then galaxy phone will b released.

Ya. But will still be within the 2 year contract with those who get the gs3

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
    05-23-2012 07:55 AM
    I dont understand why people pick t mobile att or verizon and bad talk sprint..sprint is the only network with a real unlimited plan.Its like you people are brainwashed. Seeing how sprint had the best version of the s2, i expect them to do the same with the s3.
    Because in a lot of places sprint is crap. I used to be a sprint fan. And maybe I will check them out in a couple years. But here sprint is horrible and has been for a year.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    05-23-2012 08:11 AM
    Just wanted to add the reason I am choosing at&t is for the any mobile to any mobile.

My family calls a lot of cell phones. So on at&t I can go with a smaller family call plan to save money.

On verizon, with no mobile to any mobile, id have to buy a lot higher min plan which makes them cost a lot more.

05-23-2012 08:18 AM
    Because in a lot of places sprint is crap. I used to be a sprint fan. And maybe I will check them out in a couple years. But here sprint is horrible and has been for a year.
    Click to view quoted image

Ya thats. Pretty bad. Luckily it good in my area

05-23-2012 08:25 AM
    Click to view quoted image

That's the worst speed test result I have ever seen. I guess that's why they're unlimited

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
    05-23-2012 08:38 AM
    If you want a Nexus, go with Sprint. They have Wallet and Voice integrated as intended. If you want any other device, and you want the phone to be exactly like the international version, go with T-Mobile. You can import it and have the exact version, or T-Mobile's version is usually un-f'ed with. Verizon has issues with updating due to overly exhaustive testing of firmware updates, and they are still buggy when they get released anyway, but has the best signal in my area and call quality is better on CDMA due to the technology. Yes, I use my phone to make phone calls, imagine that. Sprint 3G sucks worse than Verizon and 4G coverage is limited. AT&T drops calls, but is a decent second place option. I will always use Verizon until I no longer have unlimited data and until AT&T has more widespread LTE coverage.
    05-23-2012 09:20 AM
    I have had Sprint for years and am more than satisfied. I'm paying less than $85/month for unlimted everything. I get great 4G covg where I live and where I work out. I use 20GB/month and have never been throttled. Is it as fast as Verizon? Of course not. But let me ask you Verizon users something. What's the point of having those super fast speeds if you're capped/throttled if you really take advantage of it? I've made the decision that a balance between speed and all you can eat data is good enough for me. The most data intensive thing I do on my device is watch youtube vids and Wimax handles that without any sort of buffering.

With that said, If Sprint can re work the S3 (first time i've ever been in favor of carrier customisations) and it has an unlocked bootloader, it may be worth considering.
    05-23-2012 09:40 AM
    Sprint customer here and very happy with the service, speed and services provided to me over the years. I'm also with the poster above that it probably doesn't offer the fastest network (or in some cases, most reliable), but it does the job for me and what I need it for.

In terms of S3 variant, I think Sprint will get a close true to form device. The Epic Touch set the bar for Sprint and the Galaxy series on the network and anything less will be a flop. Had my Hero not taken a dump in December I would have probably held out for either the 4G LTE or S3.
    05-23-2012 10:47 AM
    The sprint lte phones won't have Wimax was what I was under the impression of.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Central Forums
    05-23-2012 11:31 AM
    The sprint lte phones won't have Wimax was what I was under the impression of.

Ya Sprint lte phone are not wimax compatable

05-23-2012 11:44 AM
    I have had Sprint for years and am more than satisfied. I'm paying less than $85/month for unlimted everything. I get great 4G covg where I live and where I work out. I use 20GB/month and have never been throttled. Is it as fast as Verizon? Of course not. But let me ask you Verizon users something. What's the point of having those super fast speeds if you're capped/throttled if you really take advantage of it? I've made the decision that a balance between speed and all you can eat data is good enough for me. The most data intensive thing I do on my device is watch youtube vids and Wimax handles that without any sort of buffering.

With that said, If Sprint can re work the S3 (first time i've ever been in favor of carrier customisations) and it has an unlocked bootloader, it may be worth considering.
    I used to have Sprint years ago in Florida which was pretty good, but upon moving to Alabama, I had to switch as their network coverage around here is very poor. Landed on Verizon with grandfathered unlimited data and solid, fast LTE coverage, so no worries about capped or throttling (Verizon does not throttle LTE, see below). As far as unlimited talk or text, don't need those as 95% of those I ever talk to are on Verizon and covered under mobile to mobile minutes and I rarely text (loathe it). With my corporate discount my monthly bill is $60, without it: $75. Either way, the great service I receive is well worth the cost. So I'd have to be crazy to leave Verizon! But bottom line for me: what good is the latest super phone without a good network to use it on?

Network Optimization

Will I be affected by Network Optimization?

Only a small percent of customers will be affected. To be affected, you must be:

A data customer on an unlimited data plan;
    Have a 3G Verizon Wireless device (if you have a 4G LTE device you will not be impacted); and
    Among the top 5% of data users in a given month.
    Then, you will only be affected:

When you are on the 3G network; and
    When you are connected to a congested cell site.
    05-23-2012 12:12 PM
    Most likely tmo they seem the niecest can't see why folks go to sprint there inforstruture is in dire need of upgraded but that will b a few years if they survive. Att is slow not as bad sprint but they look to b pulling a vzw a requesting boot loader lock down. If your on dx u better upgrade like now because when go to lte device on tiered data you'll b sol. As long as your all ready lte there saying where safe for awhile.

Sprint knows that and that's why they're upgrading their entire network from the ground up. 3G Advanced, LTE and HD Voice, not counting Sprint's LTE deployment on iDEN's refarmed 800mhz spectrum and Clearwire's TDD-LTE Advanced-Ready network which will supplement Sprint in major markets. Their networks are being consolidated and over-engineered to support unlimited data and future growth. It's their Network Vision architecture and its happening now, all major markets will be upgraded by the end of this year with the remaining markets scheduled to be completed by the Fall of 2013. Sprint is spending more on their network that ALL big 3 wireless carriers combined.

This is, partially, the direct effect of adding 2 million iPhones is less than a year. Sprint is growing and will be just fine.
    05-23-2012 10:23 PM
    I would still rather go att or Verizon for the next two years. By then maybe sprint will have something, but don't forget that Verizon and att will be expending during that time as well.

05-23-2012 10:40 PM
    I would still rather go att or Verizon for the next two years. By then maybe sprint will have something, but don't forget that Verizon and att will be expending during that time as well.

Yeah, it will really depend where you are regarding 4G LTE, that being said, 3G Advanced will be pretty speedy too (average speeds between 1.2 - 2mbps), more than enough for mobile use. Every article I have read actually says smartphones really dont benefit from much over 600kbps as web pages load about just as fast as an LTE connection due to processor limitations. Also, apparently 600kbps is enough for HD video streaming and just about all other bandwith intensive tasks, again, on a mobile phone. The only difference comes in when downloading files, and even then, processor limitations come into play. Another thing to consider is that LTE will be available in all major metro markets (~130 million POP's) by the end of this year which is bigger that AT&T's current deployment.
    05-23-2012 10:57 PM
    Never heard someone say they are happy with coverage OR speed on Sprint. Never used the Now Network myself, but what good is unlimited if no coverage or slow speeds? Not been throttled on my grandfathered unlimited ATT plan.

You have Sprint and are happy?

Had Sprint, old area pretty good coverage, new area could not even make calls from my house. Their data speeds in the are are very slow. I don't see the point in unlimited data if the speed and coverage are not up the task. A good experience on Sprint is very dependent on where you live.
    05-23-2012 10:57 PM
    Had Sprint, old area pretty good coverage, new area could not even make calls from my house. Their data speeds in the are are very slow. I don't see the point in unlimited data if the speed and coverage are not up the task. A good experience on Sprint is very dependent on where you live.
    Well having previously worked for the all-mighty Verizon and used every other big 4 carrier, I can tell you that every carrier has their dead spots and issues. That being said, I travel throughout the country quite a bit with a Sprint and Verizon phone and both are great carriers, very rarely do I get service with one and not the other, besides, they have mutual roaming agreements. However, Sprint's data is indeed slow in some areas at this point as a result of the iPhone and the smartphone explosion in the last few years. Again, they are working on it and all towers are getting upgraded to 3G Advanced, LTE, HD Voice and fiber / microwave backhaul.

Sprint's data speed issues are very market dependant, my home market is slow on 3G, 4G WiMAX is actually pretty awesome but kills my battery so I try to avoid it, while other markets are doing just fine. These capacity issues are similar to those of AT&T after they go the iPhone, except Sprint doesn't have all the dropped calls AT&T had. Luckily, most Florida markets are in the second round of Network Vision upgrades which means that work should have started by now or be starting very soon.
    05-23-2012 11:13 PM
    Unlimited yes but it so slow. I can't stream music or browse without getting frustrated with the speed and constant buffering. That's why I left. Too each his own but from my experience I would not go back. It's t mobile or at&t from here on out.

Sent from my HTC One X
    05-23-2012 11:17 PM
    Unlimited yes but it so slow. I can't stream music or browse without getting frustrated with the speed and constant buffering. That's why I left. Too each his own but from my experience I would not go back. It's t mobile or at&t from here on out.

Sent from my HTC One X
    See, even on the worst days I can stream Spotify and Youtube just fine which lends to the theory I explained a few posts above this one that 600kbps is enough for most mobile phone usage. And I'm talking about 100-300kbps.
    05-23-2012 11:28 PM
    None of them will. I only purchase international unlocked GSM devices. All of the US versions are crap.
    I guess you have been one of the lucky ones.. from what I have read on amazon if the internationals ( Any Samsung phone ) goes down they Will Not be warranteed in this country.. and the Krait Chip seems to test ( in the real world opening & running real apps not benchmarks.. ) just as fast as the A9 Quads.. No Way would I personally trade 4G LTE and 1,500 MHZ for 3G max speeds and a 1,400 A9 Quad.. 3G is ready to pass the tourch.. And this is coming from someone that used to swear by Quads on this site.. But the Krait right out of the box is a Damn fine Dual-Core that has no troubles with 4G LTE.. I have no problem carrying a 2nd battery if thats what I need to do.. I do it now.. What I would want and PAY FOR in my SIII is 64 Gigs built in and "2" Gigs of Ram.. That would Futureproof my $700.00 off contract purchase with Verizon for at least a year and a half and I could keep my Unlimited Data Plan.. That's what I am hoping for..
    05-24-2012 12:13 AM
    what about canada carriers? w/c one is better?
    05-24-2012 12:45 AM
    Never heard someone say they are happy with coverage OR speed on Sprint. Never used the Now Network myself, but what good is unlimited if no coverage or slow speeds? Not been throttled on my grandfathered unlimited ATT plan.

You have Sprint and are happy?

I'm using sprint and not only am I happy my wallet is too haha (comin from a dude who's been with vzw att tmo boost platinum tel and cricket)

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    05-24-2012 01:13 AM
    I'm using sprint and not only am I happy my wallet is too haha (comin from a dude who's been with vzw att tmo boost platinum tel and cricket)

You're like the Kardashian of mobile customers, you've been around!

Sent from my Samsung SGH-i727 on ATT LTE
    05-24-2012 01:25 AM
    Oh yeah I forgot bout Cingular too haha

05-24-2012 02:02 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD