Which US carrier will do it right?

Gerane

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I want the GS3 to be my next phone. I like the One X and Evo 4g, but each have a few issues that make me prefer the SG3. I may try to hold each device in my hand before I make a final decision. I also am waiting to see if the US versions will have unlocked bootloaders or not.

A big worry currently is I am on a Verizon unlimited plan, and with the announcement of the new shared plans I am worried about losing my plan when I upgrade. I am just so torn if this happens. Verizon rarely ever gets a nice phone and I have come to hate Motorola. I have had so many issues with my Droid X that I just pray i can make it to my upgrade before it either gets thrown out of a window or smashed into a wall. This says a lot since I am naturally a calm and collected person. Up until recently I was suffering through 5-10+ reboots a day and almost unusable lag and stuttering. It has been just a terrible device since gingerbread.

I live in middle tenessee so verizon's lte coverage is amazing. My wife gets a pretty solid 16 down and it seems she rarely loses her LTE. AT&T's HSPA+ is supposed to have a similar coverage to Verizon's LTE and after looking at coverage maps that seems correct, though Verizons LTE seems to be a bit more widespread. I have no clue how AT&T's speed fair though. I have heard some bad things about their HSPA+. We have tmobile here as well, but starting to wonder if I'm stuck with verizon if I want a good network.

Anyone else have any luck with tmobile and att in TN?

YzBrad99

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
2 of my close friends have the Droid X with the latest update. They dont have any of the problems you are speaking of. I would try and get a replacement if you have the extended manu. warranty.

If Verizon gets the tiered data I'm going to switch too. I think At&t will do it the best. Or maybe t-mobile.

cryptkeeper12

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Sprint seemed to get the best version of the S2 so I'm hoping they pull it off again because I really want to upgrade from my original Epic 4G. If not I'll just hold out till fall and hope Sprint gets a new Nexus early, but with the current track record I'd probably have to wait an eternity.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think T-Mobile would have the least altered version. But AT&T going with the S4 and LTE on the One X isn't bad.

I have little faith Verizon would do the line justice - unless it was branded as a DROID.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

benthe1

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm a Sprint fan but it sounds like Sprint isn't an option for you. This Epic Touch is amazing so I hope they do it again with the GSIII. If I were you, I would stick with Verizon or give TMobile a try. Have you looked into Straight Talk? Uses AT&T's network with unlimited everything for only $45. You just need an unlocked phone which isn't too expensive to do.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Most likely tmo they seem the niecest can't see why folks go to sprint there inforstruture is in dire need of upgraded but that will b a few years if they survive. Att is slow not as bad sprint but they look to b pulling a vzw a requesting boot loader lock down. If your on dx u better upgrade like now because when go to lte device on tiered data you'll b sol. As long as your all ready lte there saying where safe for awhile.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

anthesca

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I liked how ATT GS2 was most like international. The Exynos processor was noticeably faster than the Skyrocket. Also liked the smaller size and how it worked with international accessories. Just wish it had a button.

mrich70

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm a Sprint fan but it sounds like Sprint isn't an option for you. This Epic Touch is amazing so I hope they do it again with the GSIII. If I were you, I would stick with Verizon or give TMobile a try. Have you looked into Straight Talk? Uses AT&T's network with unlimited everything for only $45. You just need an unlocked phone which isn't too expensive to do.

Straight Talk actually uses Verizon's network. TMO is at the bottom of the food chain, so I would definetely not recommend. If you are leaving Verizon, I would suggest second best which is ATT.

thood03

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I dont understand why people pick t mobile att or verizon and bad talk sprint..sprint is the only network with a real unlimited plan.Its like you people are brainwashed. Seeing how sprint had the best version of the s2, i expect them to do the same with the s3.

Reactions: Mellimel22

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I figure that most of you guys would equate "right" with "as close to the international model as possible" but i really wish that there is a qwerty variant (a'la Stratosphere or OG Epic 4G) available. Heck, it could even be a spinoff like the Stratosphere is on vzw, with the Fascinate representing the OG Galaxy S.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I dont understand why people pick t mobile att or verizon and bad talk sprint..sprint is the only network with a real unlimited plan.Its like you people are brainwashed. Seeing how sprint had the best version of the s2, i expect them to do the same with the s3.

Never heard someone say they are happy with coverage OR speed on Sprint. Never used the Now Network myself, but what good is unlimited if no coverage or slow speeds? Not been throttled on my grandfathered unlimited ATT plan.

You have Sprint and are happy?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: wyseguy77

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

If money isn't the issue, there is no reason to go to Sprint. Verizon is absolutely the best network, and once you get around tier 1, the support is pretty good. After all they have done for me I am not going to knock them on it right now.

No one knows the details on the tiered pricing, so I really do not get the outrage over it...yet. Yes, those that are using it for 60GB of data are pissed, but a family plan with reasonable usage shouldnt see a hit, maybe a savings.

i would suggest you actively seek out people on the other networks and see what the signal strength is like. Maybe even sign up before your current plan is up. You have a certain time period to cancel the contract with no penalties. I know it is a pain but better than 2 years of pain

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Never heard someone say they are happy with coverage OR speed on Sprint. Never used the Now Network myself, but what good is unlimited if no coverage or slow speeds? Not been throttled on my grandfathered unlimited ATT plan.

i Am with Sprint and is happy with it.

Would i like faster 3g and lte? yes i would love it more.

It is coming. 99% of sprints network will have LTE and improved 3g by the end of 2013. With network vision.

NateBoii

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I have sprint and am good with it. I get pretty good 4G speeds in clearwater fl. People do dog sprint a lot without never have tried their service. They could expand the 4G coverage but true unlimited is great, they get some of the best phones, especially when it comes to the galaxy series. They get the best, starting with og epic 4G, sgs2, and most likely s3. May not have the fastest speeds but still pretty damn good 4G speeds
And when lte comes, its a wrap, they will take off. Sprint is not going dwn no time soon trust that. But hey, get whatever makes you happy bcuz im satisfied. When lte comes our way, i will be that much more happy. I guess its pros and cons on all networks really.

tazman69

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site

I have Sprint and don't have any issues with coverage at all or speed for that matter. Sure it isn't the fastest but I generally average close to 1mb down which is more than sufficient for a phone for my needs. I also have AT&T and yes it is faster overall but there are many times my Sprint phone outperforms my AT&T phone especially in the afternoons. I think AT&T is oversold in my area and doesn't have sufficient bandwidth.

I also can not comprehend why everyone is clamoring to get 15mb down or greater on a PHONE! The only way I can see someone needing that speed is if they are tethering.

pixelslave

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I want the GS3 to be my next phone. I like the One X and Evo 4g, but each have a few issues that make me prefer the SG3. I may try to hold each device in my hand before I make a final decision. I also am waiting to see if the US versions will have unlocked bootloaders or not.

A big worry currently is I am on a Verizon unlimited plan, and with the announcement of the new shared plans I am worried about losing my plan when I upgrade. I am just so torn if this happens. Verizon rarely ever gets a nice phone and I have come to hate Motorola. I have had so many issues with my Droid X that I just pray i can make it to my upgrade before it either gets thrown out of a window or smashed into a wall. This says a lot since I am naturally a calm and collected person. Up until recently I was suffering through 5-10+ reboots a day and almost unusable lag and stuttering. It has been just a terrible device since gingerbread.

I live in middle tenessee so verizon's lte coverage is amazing. My wife gets a pretty solid 16 down and it seems she rarely loses her LTE. AT&T's HSPA+ is supposed to have a similar coverage to Verizon's LTE and after looking at coverage maps that seems correct, though Verizons LTE seems to be a bit more widespread. I have no clue how AT&T's speed fair though. I have heard some bad things about their HSPA+. We have tmobile here as well, but starting to wonder if I'm stuck with verizon if I want a good network.

Anyone else have any luck with tmobile and att in TN?
There's indeed a chance you will lose your unlimited data if Verizon times the rollout of the shared data plan with the launch of SG3 at the same time -- it's very very likely they will do that -- they know SG3 is hot, and they want people with unlimited data to switch to the shared data plan.

Now, Verizon has also stated that if you buy the phone outright at full retail price, you can keep your unlimited data plan. The question to you is how much you value the unlimited data plan. There's no easy way to compare it, but I would do it this way. Let's say after Verizon switches me to the shared data plan which effectively lowers you to 2Gb data per month. Now, assuming upgrading it to 5Gb per month will cost me an extra $20. $20 x 24 = $480. That means 3Gb more data per month will cost me $480. I can then use it to compare the subsidized price of SG3 and the full retail price. If the difference is bigger than or equal to $480, I will buy the SG3 at full retail price and keep the unlimited data. If not, then the smaller the difference is, the more sense the subsidized phone makes.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I can make up plausible numbers too.

it will cost me 100$ for 20GB. This will save me 50$ per month. I will take the tiers.

My point is that it is all speculation until we get the facts. Where I do agree with you is that the new plans will coincide with the SGIII if verizon gets it right away. That being the case, we should get details in early June to give us about a month to make the decisions we all will have to make.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The OP didn't mention Sprint which is probably why most of us dismissed that network.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Hangfire#AC

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Cookeville right along I-40. I have a couple of coworkers who have AT&T and while they have no complaints I suspect it's because they switched from Verizon just to get the iPhone moons ago. In middle TN, AT&T and all others have spotty coverage once you leave a large city or get too far off of 40. I'll stick with Verizon as they have the best coverage and we just got LTE.