Common question. Is 16 GB enough coming from a Blackberry?

Nashstruck

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Guys, planning on purchasing the phone. Blackberry apps tend to be 750KB - 1MB on average, I was wondering if 16GB on a SGS3 is sufficient for apps? And how much space out of the 16GB is usable for apps?
For example, Blackberry 9900 might have 8GB capacity, but app storage is only 750MB (and the OS takes up 500MB of that!)

Thanks

Mark_C

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Guys, planning on purchasing the phone. Blackberry apps tend to be 750KB - 1MB on average, I was wondering if 16GB on a SGS3 is sufficient for apps? And how much space out of the 16GB is usable for apps?
For example, Blackberry 9900 might have 8GB capacity, but app storage is only 750MB (and the OS takes up 500MB of that!)

Thanks

As I understand it you'll have about 11Gb free on the phone (can anyone verify?)
App size varies, but all app sizes are listed on play store, take a look : https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../https://play.google.com/store&token=2oB_HVX9

onlyoneromeo

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes but doesn't the pics and everything else you save use the same memory on this phone? With a phone that takes hd pics and video you will run out of space fast.

Nashstruck

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes but doesn't the pics and everything else you save use the same memory on this phone? With a phone that takes hd pics and video you will run out of space fast.

Exactly what I'm worried about. On my 32GB iPad, I've got 10GB worth of apps, pics and music and 16GB space remaining. And it's been just 1 year. I'm sure I'll fill it up to 32GB by the time the new, new iPad comes out.

So I'm going to wait for the 32GB I think. I hope it's out to most operators by August, which is when I play on purchasing the phone.

MOTH477

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Exactly what I'm worried about. On my 32GB iPad, I've got 10GB worth of apps, pics and music and 16GB space remaining. And it's been just 1 year. I'm sure I'll fill it up to 32GB by the time the new, new iPad comes out.

So I'm going to wait for the 32GB I think. I hope it's out to most operators by August, which is when I play on purchasing the phone.

It's a good idea to go with the 32GB because if you were to get a 64GB SD card then that would give you over 90GB. However, Samsung is throwing in 50GB of cloud storage. So if you go with the 16GB you could use part of the 50GB to store stuff that you don't access as frequent. Personally, I have to have all my data on my device. For some people cloud works for them. I have 18GB worth of music that I want to have all the time. I have my pics and some HD videos. I currently have 6GB left on my 32GB SD card. I like the idea of getting the 32GB then expanding with a 64GB card.

v1rtu4l

May 22, 2012
Visit site
don't be afraid. the 16 gb variant should suffice.

the 11 GB partitionf or apps + media is correct. you can install the apps into that partition and simply insert a sd card of your liking for the other media stuff...

most apps will be between 1mb and 20mb. games (if they are 3d) can be up to 900mb, but they are really rare (at least the big ones).

11GB for apps will leave enough space for a lot of pictures and videos...

i got my galaxy s2 since nearly a year 8 month now and i have not even come to 2 GB of apps. don't worry

any comparision with an ipad is moot since you can easly upgrade the storage on your GS3 by 64 GB

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Since the phone has an sdcard, 16GB should be more than enough. You can pay a premium for the 32GB version which will have faster memory and more storage potential, or just add an sdcard later if you run out of space.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
If the trend sticks u only get 2gb strickly for apps nothing else goes on it. I have over 300 apps and barely top 1gb. Also never by a smart phone with less then 32gb. 16gb isn't enough for today's movies and photos.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

v1rtu4l

May 22, 2012
Visit site
If the trend sticks u only get 2gb strickly for apps nothing else goes on it. I have over 300 apps and barely top 1gb. Also never by a smart phone with less then 32gb. 16gb isn't enough for today's movies and photos.

please get your facts straight before posting. the galaxy s3 does have one 11 GB partition for Apps + Media.

older devices had a dedicated 2 GB partition for apps only (like the GS2) but the GS3 has 11 GB for apps...

Reactions: Nashstruck

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
The app storage limitation was a function of Gingerbread and earlier Android versions, if I'm not mistaken. ICS makes no distinction between app and other storage (actually, that started with Honeycomb).

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
please get your facts straight before posting. the galaxy s3 does have one 11 GB partition for Apps + Media.

older devices had a dedicated 2 GB partition for apps only (like the GS2) but the GS3 has 11 GB for apps...

Source?
This means that every time you connect the phone to a computer you'll need to use two different connection methods on the same USB port -- MTP for unified storage and UMS for SD card storage.

v1rtu4l

May 22, 2012
Visit site
i am too lazy for a source right now, but if you choose the keywords "galaxy s3 app partition" or something you will find it.

the connection methods are only MTP (default) and PTP. which means the storage for apps (+media since it's the same partition) is mounted by the phone and to the pc simultaneously

//EDIT// not that lazy afterall :p
as per supecurio's report the whole internal sd is shared for both user data nd data, so we will be having the whole 11.5 gb

here the link to the report... go to the misc paragraph

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
It is totally up to you. I am leaning toward the 32 GB with the 32 GB micro sd card from my 9810 and if I need more, I can expand to the 64 GB. Newb question....doesn't accessing the cloud drain the battery more?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
i am too lazy for a source right now, but if you choose the keywords "galaxy s3 app partition" or something you will find it.

the connection methods are only MTP (default) and PTP. which means the storage for apps (+media since it's the same partition) is mounted by the phone and to the pc simultaneously

//EDIT// not that lazy afterall :p

here the link to the report... go to the misc paragraph

Interesting. I'm very curious to see how the phone handles the SD card mounting. It has to be UMS. We'll shoot an email off to someone on the product team at Samsung and see what they have to say about it.

v1rtu4l

May 22, 2012
Visit site
what is so interesting about that ? MTP is the only way to keep the filesystem (which is ext4 btw) mounted to the system and accessible via USB.

only the old mass storage mode (which was block-level access to the disk, which meant you could actually format it) was problematic in regards of apps installed on it, while MTP gives only abstract file access which means "access for everyone" =)

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
The way android ics is when u plug your into PC is media device(MTP) and camera(ptp) and all your going to see your media files not protected files like apps and core os.

v1rtu4l

May 22, 2012
Visit site
samsungs mtp implemention on the galaxy s2 does show you all files, (even those in /android/data/appname*), but of course there is the possibility that this is changed to only display a certain kind of filetype to prevent pirating. knowing samsungs stance towards flashing and modding i guess it will stay as it is, which is "you can see everything via mtp".

we have to remember that this is only the partition for /data which is in shared use for apps and media, not the root (/) filesystem with folders like system in it. those folders will still not be accessible by usb connection