06-02-2012 03:46 AM
141 ... 456
tools
    And now internal storage barely matters because of online storage. The only thing you really need internal storage for is apps. Other than that there are services that allow you to access everything else (photos, music, videos, etc.)
    The problem with online storage is that everyone is going to have some kind of data limits as as well as not always being in an area of cell coverage.
    05-30-2012 03:06 PM
    And now internal storage barely matters because of online storage. The only thing you really need internal storage for is apps. Other than that there are services that allow you to access everything else (photos, music, videos, etc.)
    Lets see cloud work in the nyc subway. Ooops it doesn't. That is probably when you need to use it the most when your riding the damn train!!! I'm sure the 9 million of us in nyc alone don't matter.
    05-30-2012 03:24 PM
    The problem with online storage is that everyone is going to have some kind of data limits as as well as not always being in an area of cell coverage.
    Guess I never took it into consideration saying that I have unlimited with Sprint but even if I didnt. Wifi is pretty widespread. Use the wifi at home, work, and school. Shouldnt use that much data other han on the road. But i guess theres a lot of ifs/ands/buts to online storage. Good point
    05-30-2012 03:25 PM
    I can see the point. Keep what you know you'll want on the device, and the rest is in the cloud if you want it.

I've been doing that for a while, now, actually.
    05-30-2012 03:28 PM
    I can see the point. Keep what you know you'll want on the device, and the rest is in the cloud if you want it.

+1Gazillion... This was all I was saying folks
    05-30-2012 03:34 PM
    it really does depend on the lifestyle and requirements of the user.

i could hardly see myself with a low storage variant, because i commute by train very often. at least twice a week i travel by train to a different city... this train travels can be up to 8 hours !! so it is extremely important for me, that first off, my phone theoretically gives me such longevity to by still functional when i arrive and need to get to the hotel (all info stored on the phone) and i want to have the possibility to watch a movie or two while riding the train. my galaxy s2 does approximately 2 divx movies until it dies, i hope that the GS3 will last even longer. coming back to the original point, i can not store 20 gigs of movies in the cloud and then try to stream it via 3g or something onto my phone to watch the movie. the train has speeds of up to 200 miles per hour and no internet connection is quick enough to roam between the towers seemlessly enough
    05-30-2012 04:34 PM

Bingo. It's not really reasonable to expect a phone to have enough storage for hundreds of albums. It should have enough for a couple that you'll listen to (and can change out when you need to), and storage for other stuff. That should be about it.

I DO think, though, that as limited plans take a stranglehold, manufacturers WILL need to either up the internal storage or include a microSD slot because streaming will not be an option.
    05-30-2012 05:28 PM
    Bingo. It's not really reasonable to expect a phone to have enough storage for hundreds of albums. It should have enough for a couple that you'll listen to (and can change out when you need to), and storage for other stuff. That should be about it.

I DO think, though, that as limited plans take a stranglehold, manufacturers WILL need to either up the internal storage or include a microSD slot because streaming will not be an option.
    I on the other hand, don't store anything on the cloud. I prefer to have my stuff on my device. I just don't have faith in the cloud or the security of my data on the cloud.

05-30-2012 10:45 PM

I think it IS reasonable to expect enough storage for hundreds of albums. I think my collection is about 11-12gb worth.
    My Nokia N97 had 32 gb of storage.
    That's 4 years ago? Storage tech has improved since then.

Reasons against cloud streaming-
    Data charges
    Extra battery drain
    Availability when no signal or wifi.
    Higher quality files

Pro cloud-
    Do not use up storage space.

Easy- more storage space totally negates need for cloud

Sent from my Samsung SGH-i727 on ATT LTE
    05-30-2012 10:56 PM
    The reasons for AND against cloud storage are all reasonable.

For some people, like v1rt4al, on board storage is extremely important. For someone like me, who's on wifi 90% of the time, and always have good signal, it's not as important.

The only caveat, as was said above, is data caps. AT&T has already "raised" them once, and hopefully as the cost to serve a MB of data goes down they continue to do this. I'm ok with data caps, as long as it's reasonable (and for me it is because of my wifi situation). For some, they live and die by mobile data so it's not.
    Tkbredx likes this.
    05-31-2012 09:24 AM
    It really is funny how cloud storage is promoted for mobile apps right at the time when 3 of 4 carriers introduced data caps. Here...buy our phone, store all your stuff up there and retrieve it anywhere...but....*finger waggin* don't use too much of it now or we will charge youuuu! If Sprint can keep the unlimited up, and if their LTE will be on par with AT&T and Verizon, I see a much brighter future for them. But that's a year or two away.
    05-31-2012 10:28 AM
    For work and school purposes, I ONLY use cloud so I can access from any PC or my mobile device if need be. For everything else, I NEED to have BIG storage space on my device for my countless mixed DJ sets, PDF files and textbooks, 720p (1-2gb) movies, my ever growing wallpaper collection and txt and ringer sounds collection and much much much more. Believe me when I tell you guys that 64gb micro-sd card can't come soon enough!!
    05-31-2012 10:41 AM
    I think all phones should have memory card slots. I have a 32gb card which currently has 20gb used. Will get me a new 64gb card when I order my gs3.

05-31-2012 11:59 AM
    I think it IS reasonable to expect enough storage for hundreds of albums. I think my collection is about 11-12gb worth.
    My Nokia N97 had 32 gb of storage.
    That's 4 years ago? Storage tech has improved since then.

Reasons against cloud streaming-
    Data charges
    Extra battery drain
    Availability when no signal or wifi.
    Higher quality files

Pro cloud-
    Do not use up storage space.

Easy- more storage space totally negates need for cloud

Sent from my Samsung SGH-i727 on ATT LTE
    Ehh. For a mobile device who's primary purpose is not music, that's an unreasonable expectation.
    05-31-2012 11:28 PM
    Not having an sdcard saves you maybe a few mm in size and a few $ in costs. It is not acceptable in any way since it has NO advantages. The choice is not between local vs cloud, its between having expandable local storage + cloud, vs only cloud. And that choice is clear.
    06-01-2012 11:02 PM
    Ehh. For a mobile device who's primary purpose is not music, that's an unreasonable expectation.
    With data speed and availability limitations, cloud solutions should not be relied upon. They are great in a 'sync' capacity, but 'single location' cloud storage is a bad idea.

Smartphones are multimedia devices, they should have higher capacities. Especially when digital copies of movies are 2+GB and TV Shows are 500MB.

2GB RAM / 64GB storage should be standard.

I'd love a 256GB phone with a Burr-Brown DAC. I'd rather spend more on one product than need specialized devices for multiple functions.

iCloud for Android / PC would be nice. (and no, it's not called Dropbox)
    06-02-2012 03:46 AM
141 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD