Engadget Review

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I wish someone would do a TW vs Sense vs Stock ICS video. Because I would like ti know the difference in functionality. Stock just looks the best but what does it have over TW and
Sense. Because right now I feel like TW does everything Stock and Sense does and more with the new features. That + Launcher = better stock ICS right?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Personally, Kevin, I like the fact that Samsung actually takes in the opinion of people and kept the menu button and removable storage. Well atleast for removable storage, theres no reason not to have it really.

I bet they kept the menu button because they didn't expect dev's to actually care about updating their apps. We could probably go back and forth on that forever LOL.

Removable storage isn't needed as long as they have mulitple internal storage options (which they do 16, 32, and 64). It's all because of the file system Google wants to use. I guess it doesn't work well with external storage???

I wish someone would do a TW vs Sense vs Stock ICS video. Because I would like ti know the difference in functionality. Stock just looks the best but what does it have over TW and
Sense. Because right now I feel like TW does everything Stock and Sense does and more with the new features. That + Launcher = better stock ICS right?

Me too, but the TL;DR version would probably sound like this....Sense and Touchwiz try to add functionality, but ICS works well on it's own. Touchwiz touches everything, and does look dated, while Sense doesn't, but looks fresh. Having the option to change themes, say from dark to light, would be nice though.

Also, using a third party launcher makes some of that argument a moot point. I'm using Apex on the One X and guess what....looks like stock LOL.

Another thing people are glossing over mostly is the update situation. Basically Samsung sucks at it. HTC isn't necessarily great, but they have a better track record than Samsung.

Reactions: Tkbredx

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Stock ICS lacks basic features like syncing with Facebook, the stock music and video players leave a lot to be desired etc. The usual answer to these things is that there's always a replacement app for these things.

Google don't present Android in the same way as iOS and WP7. Its an open source OS that they encourage oem's to modify as the see fit. Their UI guidelines are just that, they are neither enforced nor follwed even by Google's own apps.

Earlier versions of Android were bare bones, they looked ugly and lacked a lot of things. OEM's had to modify them to sell a product to people who aren't tech savvy. The arrival of Mattias was the reason Google polished ICS, and its going to take a while before oem's respond to that.

I think there's a general fallacy among forums and technical people that everyone hates the oem skins. The vast majority of users don't root their phones or replace the launcher, dialer etc, things we take for granted. They have become very used to and attached to their way of doing things. This is why Sense/TouchWiz etc have a loyal following.

In the end usability is what matters, not some abstract guidelines that a majority of apps don't follow and won't for quite some time.

Reactions: jroc

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Sense and Touchwiz try to add functionality, but ICS works well on it's own. Touchwiz touches everything, and does look dated, while Sense doesn't, but looks fresh

Show me where Sense modifies less of ICS than TouchWiz.

Looks are totally subjective, but e.g Sense persists in using rounded corners, gradients and button chrome when Holo is supposed to be square, monochromatic and flat. Compare the 2 dilalers and tell me which one looks more like stock.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
btw, lets not even mention the broken multitasking in Sense which is enough of a reason not to get the phone, and one that HTC has no intention of fixing.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I bet they kept the menu button because they didn't expect dev's to actually care about updating their apps. We could probably go back and forth on that forever LOL.

Removable storage isn't needed as long as they have mulitple internal storage options (which they do 16, 32, and 64). It's all because of the file system Google wants to use. I guess it doesn't work well with external storage???

Me too, but the TL;DR version would probably sound like this....Sense and Touchwiz try to add functionality, but ICS works well on it's own. Touchwiz touches everything, and does look dated, while Sense doesn't, but looks fresh. Having the option to change themes, say from dark to light, would be nice though.

Also, using a third party launcher makes some of that argument a moot point. I'm using Apex on the One X and guess what....looks like stock LOL.

Another thing people are glossing over mostly is the update situation. Basically Samsung sucks at it. HTC isn't necessarily great, but they have a better track record than Samsung.

Yeahhh. I only need 16 gb really but I think the 128 gb is still a nice gesture for those who want basically everything on their phone

As for the software, I was think the same thing. With updating I'll probably be fine coming from a Palm Pre, I understand the need to have patience for software updates LOL. Plus theres always the option to root.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Looks are totally subjective, but e.g Sense persists in using rounded corners, gradients and button chrome when Holo is supposed to be square, monochromatic and flat. Compare the 2 dilalers and tell me which one looks more like stock.

btw, lets not even mention the broken multitasking in Sense which is enough of a reason not to get the phone, and one that HTC has no intention of fixing.

Obviously we won't know until it's cracked into and the code is looked at, but many Touchwiz features appear to have to touch the framework, which means it'll take EVEN LONGER for updates.

And multi-tasking isn't broke. HTC did it the way they want. Agree with it or not, doesn't really matter. Now that the bootloader is cracked (thank God) they can start doing some really nice stuff with it.

If anybody should be complaining about anything on the One X it's the bootloader situation, and more specifically that AT&T is holding up their One X from getting on HTCDev.

HTC_fanboy

May 26, 2012
Visit site

Touchwiz is ugly. Sense is much nicer looking. S-Voice is a rip-off of Siri, and works just as bad. A lot of the other stuff isn't very well done, either. Why add something if it's not that great? Did Samsung just decide to throw a bunch of stuff at the wall and see what stuck?

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
And multi-tasking isn't broke. HTC did it the way they want. Agree with it or not, doesn't really matter. Now that the bootloader is cracked (thank God) they can start doing some really nice stuff with it.

If anybody should be complaining about anything on the One X it's the bootloader situation, and more specifically that AT&T is holding up their One X from getting on HTCDev.

Really, this again? If something is defective and the manufacturer claims its how they designed it, then yes, it is broken. There's no reason to play semantic games, the user experience is all that matters.

HTCDev unlock is a joke, it doesn't give you proper root. And requiring users to root their phone (and void the warranty) just to get a usable phone, how is that acceptable?

snoopyandroid

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I take all reviews with a grain of salt. Until I get my hands one, this phone on specs FOR ME is better than the x and no, I'm not going to justify my stance.

I like the design of the x better than the S3, but overall, I like what the S3 brings to the table. Once I see and play with it, I may change my mind.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Really, this again? If something is defective and the manufacturer claims its how they designed it, then yes, it is broken. There's no reason to play semantic games, the user experience is all that matters.

HTCDev unlock is a joke, it doesn't give you proper root. And requiring users to root their phone (and void the warranty) just to get a usable phone, how is that acceptable?

Being broken would mean that it doesn't function as intended. HTC intends for it to function exactly the way it does. So, no, it's not broken. It's also not a Nexus. It doesn't have to run exactly the way Google says. That's the beauty of open source. Anybody that doesn't like the way it runs can return it and get something else. I could argue that changing the framework will alter the way Android functions, and by your definition, would then be considered broken.

Same with the SGSIII and any bugs or "features" that people don't like. Vote with your pocket book,

I agree with HTCDev, they should just come unlocked from the factory. The phone is plenty usable without root. I would know, I have one. It hasn't let me down yet. But that is just me, and my use case, other people might not agree.

Reactions: mykrlz182

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Being broken would mean that it doesn't function as intended

It means it doesn't function. There's no need for 'as intended'.

So you praise Sense for being more faithful to ICS/Holo and at the same think its ok for HTC to completely break multitasking as Google intended?

My definition of broken is something that leads to a bad user experience (really, its not just bad, its terrible), it has nothing to do with frameworks/guidelines.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It means it doesn't function. There's no need for 'as intended'.

So you praise Sense for being more faithful to ICS/Holo and at the same think its ok for HTC to completely break multitasking as Google intended?

My definition of broken is something that leads to a bad user experience (really, its not just bad, its terrible), it has nothing to do with frameworks/guidelines.

I think the time for people thinking that all Android phones will run the same is over. Has been for a while, but even more so now. If you want an Android phone, buy a Nexus. Plain and simple. Otherwise you're buying an HTC Sense, Samsung Touchwiz, Motorola Blur, etc., phone. The manufacturer can change whatever they want. If you get it and don't like it, return it and get something else. Nobody forces anybody else to keep a phone they don't like, don't want, or doesn't function they way they want it to.

Being open source is a double edged sword, and now we're seeing the other edge. Whether or not it's a bad user experience is up to each individual user. Speaking specifically about the multi-tasking, I personally don't get that frustrated by it because I'm not a super-multi-tasking-do-eighty-things-at-once kind of user. I don't run into the "jump out of facebook mid-comment and then go back and it's gone" scenario ever. Very rarely does a webpage reloading bother me. Actually in a lot of cases I kinda like it, because it's the first thing I would do myself.

So yeah we've derailed the conversation a bit, but that's ok. This is good stuff.

Reactions: kkapoorr

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I think the time for people thinking that all Android phones will run the same is over. Has been for a while, but even more so now. If you want an Android phone, buy a Nexus. Plain and simple. Otherwise you're buying an HTC Sense, Samsung Touchwiz, Motorola Blur, etc., phone. The manufacturer can change whatever they want.

This is fine. But why do you think its ok for HTC to change things, but not Samsung?

Reactions: hounddogdaddy

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
What's good for the goose?

Sent from my Samsung SGH-i727 on ATT LTE

Agreed.

This is fine. But why do you think its ok for HTC to change things, but not Samsung?

They have every right to, but IMO its more of the same, and will definitely not help with updates.

HTC also listened to people and made Sense much better. Maybe that implies that touchwiz was always better? I didn't mind I at all on the sgsii. Actually really liked it. It staying the same allowed HTC to jump ahead IMO. Sense 4.0 is a noticeable improvement over 3.X.

The new touchwiz looks the same and maybe improved in functionality. Still not a fan of the gimmicky stuff they added, though.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Coming from someone about to switch to Android, it's just a matter of taste. I have played around more with Samsung devices (Skyrocket, Note), though I also played with the Vivid and found it underwhelming. What's interesting Kevin is that you seemed totally sold on the One X, meanwhile there are TONS of people who bought one who seemed pretty unhappy with many of the functions and issues. And a group are marching back to ATT to return them too, though I suspect this happens with many new phones.

And its this that gives me cause for concern where I to get the GS3 rather than the Skyrocket. I DO believe the GS3 has some very advanced features, and a pentile display that may last longer than the non-pentile super AMOLED on the Skyrocket. Regardless, Samsung is clearly the leader when it comes to hand held while HTC is trying to play catch up.

Yes, the One X is a nice phone, no arguing it. But it will be interesting to see once ATT has it side by side with the GS3, which may blow its doors off.. Time will tell. :cool:

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Does it really matter how you achieve the objective as long as you actually achieve it?? I mean Samsung didn’t take away the ability to access the task manager or how it functions. It’s just a long press on a button rather than a short press..on an extra button.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Coming from someone about to switch to Android, it's just a matter of taste. I have played around more with Samsung devices (Skyrocket, Note), though I also played with the Vivid and found it underwhelming. What's interesting Kevin is that you seemed totally sold on the One X, meanwhile there are TONS of people who bought one who seemed pretty unhappy with many of the functions and issues. And a group are marching back to ATT to return them too, though I suspect this happens with many new phones.

And its this that gives me cause for concern where I to get the GS3 rather than the Skyrocket. I DO believe the GS3 has some very advanced features, and a pentile display that may last longer than the non-pentile super AMOLED on the Skyrocket. Regardless, Samsung is clearly the leader when it comes to hand held while HTC is trying to play catch up.

Yes, the One X is a nice phone, no arguing it. But it will be interesting to see once ATT has it side by side with the GS3, which may blow its doors off.. Time will tell. :cool:

They'll have the same processor, so there will be no blowing off of doors.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Does it really matter how you achieve the objective as long as you actually achieve it?? I mean Samsung didn’t take away the ability to access the task manager or how it functions. It’s just a long press on a button rather than a short press..on an extra button.

Yes, it does. It means Samsung is purposely and willfully ignoring googles intent for android, for no other reason than to be different. It creates fragmentation, and open conflict between Samsung and the rest of android.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish