Engadget Review

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
First, I agree with everything that you said about HTC phones and the One X. I believe that their phones suck. The humps on the back are ugly and Sense is just a waist of memory and processing power.

Unfortunately I have to wonder why after making such solid points you would add such a ridiculous statement at the end about why people buy iPhones or why the 16gb model is the most popular. Do you not think that the awesome camera, smooth, lag free interface, superior app, and ease of use that would make a 4 year old seem to be highly intelligent would have a little something to do with why so many people buy iPhones? Not to mention the fact that the cameras are simply amazing! Every new phone that comes out eventually has its camera compared to the iPhone. A lot of you would simply like to believe that people wake up and say, "how can I be more like everyone else?!", but that is a ridiculous way of viewing anything and it makes anyone using that thinking look totally stupid to me. I am not an iSheep or a Fandroid. I have owned every iPhone since the first as well as 7-8 Android phones since the OG Droid which I proudly display on a trophy case. Just because people prefer a rival platform that doesn't make them any kind of animal and it doesn't mean that they deserve to be insulted or labeled. What of the "cool" new thing to say was that all Android lovers sucked their mothers boobs till they were 16? Stupid right?! Let them love what they love. You love what you love. This just really has gone too far with the ridiculous labeling and insults.

Lastly why are you guys on a GS3 thread arguing with an obvious TROLL. If he wanted to express his undying love for the One X there HAS GOT TO BE A PLACE FOR THAT! Maybe the ONE X thread?! Hmmm?! Maybe?! If you feel that the One X is sooooo awesome why not go to the threads where they love it? You could all touch each other in a circle! LOL! This is crazy!

Are you calling me a troll? If so, not cool.

As for the direction this thread has taken, it hasn't gotten just a bit off topic. :p But I'm not against a thread going that way if the discussion is good, productive, and best of all, makes people think. Up until that last reply that was half insulting, half great, I was all about continuing it. I, for one, will not resort to insulting people's intelligence, aptitude, income level, or geographic location to prove my point. (which of course is based at least half way on opinion, but isn't everybody's here?) Isn't that part of what's great about the forums? We can have different opinions and voice them and have a discussion about it.

As much as the United States isn't the center of the planet, neither is anywhere else. People in the US do have different concerns than other areas. That doesn't mean they get ignored because you think they don't matter. They are just as valid, and while I don't have numbers, I would bet that a majority of people on this site are from the US.

European carriers also do subsidies, and I bet a vast majority of people take advantage of those, too. The big difference is that you don't have to stick to just one carrier with one device to guarantee you're going to have coverage. I'm actually really envious of that. Just like I've heard some people that live in Europe say they're jealous of us for having LTE.

v1rtu4l

May 22, 2012
Visit site
F
Unfortunately I have to wonder why after making such solid points you would add such a ridiculous statement at the end about why people buy iPhones or why the 16gb model is the most popular. Do you not think that the awesome camera, smooth, lag free interface, superior app, and ease of use that would make a 4 year old seem to be highly intelligent would have a little something to do with why so many people buy iPhones?
ok, i see it was read not the way i intended it to be (... i'm not HTC, so i wont say "it's written how it is intended to be, but you guys just read wrong!").

let me rephrase what i meant by the iphone users cheapskates paragraph.

of course you can not call every iphone user a cheakskate. that was not the point i was trying to make, but the fact that people will try to get what they need as cheap as possible, disregarding other variants that might have slightly higher numbers in some specs (like the internal storage). so of course someone who buys an iphone is not a cheapskate since he will pay handsomely for the device, but he is a cheapskate compared to us nerds who do try to find out every detail of the device we want to buy and we will very carefully evaluate if we would be better off, if we bought the device with the larger internal capacity.

perhaps a car analogy would be more appropriate, where 90% of the iphone users are like people who always wanted to drive a mercedes. they will buy it to have the name and of course the stock luxury (like the iphone features). they will not buy it brand new, but rather used, because they do not need to have the ability to choose extras (which you could choose if you bought it new). then there are the people that are kind of luxus car connoisseurs who know very much about luxury cars and only drive those kind of cars. they wont buy it cheap or used, because they want to have the choice to put in any extra they deem needed.

still there are more of the first kind of people buying used mercedes', compared to the rich ones who only buy new mercedes with all the extras... and if you compare those too, you could call the first ones "cheapskates". perhaps it has a too negative notion, but i am sorry, english is not my native tonge/language.

Not to mention the fact that the cameras are simply amazing! Every new phone that comes out eventually has its camera compared to the iPhone. A lot of you would simply like to believe that people wake up and say, "how can I be more like everyone else?!", but that is a ridiculous way of viewing anything and it makes anyone using that thinking look totally stupid to me. I am not an iSheep or a Fandroid. I have owned every iPhone since the first as well as 7-8 Android phones since the OG Droid which I proudly display on a trophy case. Just because people prefer a rival platform that doesn't make them any kind of animal and it doesn't mean that they deserve to be insulted or labeled. What of the "cool" new thing to say was that all Android lovers sucked their mothers boobs till they were 16? Stupid right?! Let them love what they love. You love what you love. This just really has gone too far with the ridiculous labeling and insults.
i hope i have addressed most of your problems with my last paragraphs in the first reply.
thank you for your valuable input and i have to add, that i am not per se against apple.
i am writing this to you on a macbook pro (although i only use windows on it) and i was very close to buying the iphone 4, when jobs presented it (damn, he was a good salesman).

Lastly why are you guys on a GS3 thread arguing with an obvious TROLL. If he wanted to express his undying love for the One X there HAS GOT TO BE A PLACE FOR THAT! Maybe the ONE X thread?! Hmmm?! Maybe?! If you feel that the One X is sooooo awesome why not go to the threads where they love it? You could all touch each other in a circle! LOL! This is crazy!

you are right about that and there is only "so much" you can argue about something.
i think a reply to a reply is totally ok, even if it is a troll, but if it becomes a challenge to persuade each other it will only go round and round and bring nothing new to the table.
in the end it's ok to have different opinions and an reply should only be to clarify things or to rephrase if you think the other one did not get what you was trying to say (which does not have to say that he is agreeing after understanding what you tried to say)

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I liked the fact that it kind of went off topic. Not only was it interesting but I felt enlightened. They both made valid points.

At the end of the day I've come to the realization that phone choice is all a matter of opinion. Theres fanboys for every device and theres regular people that just want what they think is the best device. Although I truly believe that the GS3 is a better phone, if some disagree then oh well. It may not be the better phone for them.

As for the cheapskate comment... Ehh, I dont really take offense. I think its the smarter thing to do. Why pay $600 when you can pay $200? And now internal storage barely matters because of online storage. The only thing you really need internal storage for is apps. Other than that there are services that allow you to access everything else (photos, music, videos, etc.)

Reactions: dmmarck

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
The only thing you really need internal storage for is apps. Other than that there are services that allow you to access everything else (photos, music, videos, etc.)

This part is not true at all. No connection or slow speeds, data charges, bandwidth caps - there are so many issues that make this not an option for most people.

Its the same thing on pc's, people have been saying for decades that no one needs local storage and it hasn't happened. Would you use a pc with no content, only the apps and OS?

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
This part is not true at all. No connection or slow speeds, data charges, bandwidth caps - there are so many issues that make this not an option for most people.

Its the same thing on pc's, people have been saying for decades that no one needs local storage and it hasn't happened. Would you use a pc with no content, only the apps and OS?

I am actually looking into the new Chromebook by Samsung, so yes, thanks for asking.

Im just saying that it really isnt necessary to have all that internal storage. Prioritize, keep the most important things you need on your phone and put everything else in the cloud

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
And now internal storage barely matters because of online storage. The only thing you really need internal storage for is apps. Other than that there are services that allow you to access everything else (photos, music, videos, etc.)

The problem with online storage is that everyone is going to have some kind of data limits as as well as not always being in an area of cell coverage.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
And now internal storage barely matters because of online storage. The only thing you really need internal storage for is apps. Other than that there are services that allow you to access everything else (photos, music, videos, etc.)

Lets see cloud work in the nyc subway. Ooops it doesn't. That is probably when you need to use it the most when your riding the damn train!!! I'm sure the 9 million of us in nyc alone don't matter.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
The problem with online storage is that everyone is going to have some kind of data limits as as well as not always being in an area of cell coverage.

Guess I never took it into consideration saying that I have unlimited with Sprint but even if I didnt. Wifi is pretty widespread. Use the wifi at home, work, and school. Shouldnt use that much data other han on the road. But i guess theres a lot of ifs/ands/buts to online storage. Good point

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I can see the point. Keep what you know you'll want on the device, and the rest is in the cloud if you want it.

I've been doing that for a while, now, actually.

v1rtu4l

May 22, 2012
Visit site
it really does depend on the lifestyle and requirements of the user.

i could hardly see myself with a low storage variant, because i commute by train very often. at least twice a week i travel by train to a different city... this train travels can be up to 8 hours !! so it is extremely important for me, that first off, my phone theoretically gives me such longevity to by still functional when i arrive and need to get to the hotel (all info stored on the phone) and i want to have the possibility to watch a movie or two while riding the train. my galaxy s2 does approximately 2 divx movies until it dies, i hope that the GS3 will last even longer. coming back to the original point, i can not store 20 gigs of movies in the cloud and then try to stream it via 3g or something onto my phone to watch the movie. the train has speeds of up to 200 miles per hour and no internet connection is quick enough to roam between the towers seemlessly enough

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I can see the point. Keep what you know you'll want on the device, and the rest is in the cloud if you want it.

I've been doing that for a while, now, actually.

Bingo. It's not really reasonable to expect a phone to have enough storage for hundreds of albums. It should have enough for a couple that you'll listen to (and can change out when you need to), and storage for other stuff. That should be about it.

I DO think, though, that as limited plans take a stranglehold, manufacturers WILL need to either up the internal storage or include a microSD slot because streaming will not be an option.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Bingo. It's not really reasonable to expect a phone to have enough storage for hundreds of albums. It should have enough for a couple that you'll listen to (and can change out when you need to), and storage for other stuff. That should be about it.

I DO think, though, that as limited plans take a stranglehold, manufacturers WILL need to either up the internal storage or include a microSD slot because streaming will not be an option.

I on the other hand, don't store anything on the cloud. I prefer to have my stuff on my device. I just don't have faith in the cloud or the security of my data on the cloud.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

I think it IS reasonable to expect enough storage for hundreds of albums. I think my collection is about 11-12gb worth.
My Nokia N97 had 32 gb of storage.
That's 4 years ago? Storage tech has improved since then.

Reasons against cloud streaming-
Data charges
Extra battery drain
Availability when no signal or wifi.
Higher quality files

Pro cloud-
Do not use up storage space.

Easy- more storage space totally negates need for cloud

Sent from my Samsung SGH-i727 on ATT LTE

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The reasons for AND against cloud storage are all reasonable.

For some people, like v1rt4al, on board storage is extremely important. For someone like me, who's on wifi 90% of the time, and always have good signal, it's not as important.

The only caveat, as was said above, is data caps. AT&T has already "raised" them once, and hopefully as the cost to serve a MB of data goes down they continue to do this. I'm ok with data caps, as long as it's reasonable (and for me it is because of my wifi situation). For some, they live and die by mobile data so it's not.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
It really is funny how cloud storage is promoted for mobile apps right at the time when 3 of 4 carriers introduced data caps. Here...buy our phone, store all your stuff up there and retrieve it anywhere...but....*finger waggin* don't use too much of it now or we will charge youuuu! If Sprint can keep the unlimited up, and if their LTE will be on par with AT&T and Verizon, I see a much brighter future for them. But that's a year or two away.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
For work and school purposes, I ONLY use cloud so I can access from any PC or my mobile device if need be. For everything else, I NEED to have BIG storage space on my device for my countless mixed DJ sets, PDF files and textbooks, 720p (1-2gb) movies, my ever growing wallpaper collection and txt and ringer sounds collection and much much much more. Believe me when I tell you guys that 64gb micro-sd card can't come soon enough!!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I think all phones should have memory card slots. I have a 32gb card which currently has 20gb used. Will get me a new 64gb card when I order my gs3.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I think it IS reasonable to expect enough storage for hundreds of albums. I think my collection is about 11-12gb worth.
My Nokia N97 had 32 gb of storage.
That's 4 years ago? Storage tech has improved since then.

Reasons against cloud streaming-
Data charges
Extra battery drain
Availability when no signal or wifi.
Higher quality files

Pro cloud-
Do not use up storage space.

Easy- more storage space totally negates need for cloud

Sent from my Samsung SGH-i727 on ATT LTE

Ehh. For a mobile device who's primary purpose is not music, that's an unreasonable expectation.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Not having an sdcard saves you maybe a few mm in size and a few $ in costs. It is not acceptable in any way since it has NO advantages. The choice is not between local vs cloud, its between having expandable local storage + cloud, vs only cloud. And that choice is clear.