08-27-2012 10:03 PM
57 123
tools
    My gut feel, based on the various articles on the web (and based on the direction the wind is blowing at the moment…) tells me that the dual core S4 will be a little better than the Quad core in things like web page rendering. While the quad will be a little better than the dual in graphics heavy game capability.

Taking that with a grain of salt, but I think this favors the dual core S4 chip for two reasons.

First, you just aren’t going to see a tangible difference in games because games won’t be setup to make use of any difference. (…At the expense of getting boo’s from the peanut gallery that just likes to hate on Tegra…) I see it that we aren’t going to get games that specifically make use of any extra gfx power outside of the Terga optimized games. They will continue to be the top end of capability this go around.

In general, non-THD games being released/maintained right now are going to be optimized for the S4 chip at least. Just think of how many handsets are going to be out there running the S4 chip (not just GSIII, but all the HTC phones too, etc.) and a game developer would be crazy not to make sure their game was optimized for it. So if the S4 plays it, it doesn't matter if another chip can play it "with a little extra left over."

Second, faster web rendering is something that can be noticed and improved upon. It isn’t something that becomes meaningless once a minimum threshold is met (like games.) With games, once your chip is fast enough to play the game smoothly, all the extra doesn’t matter. With web rendering, every second eliminated is tangible.

Anyway, I’d be jazzed with either chip. I just want my new phone!

-Suntan
    cjsmoove and jroc like this.
    06-07-2012 03:20 PM

What everyone REALLY wanted was either the Exynos 5250 dual core (also based on A15 with the newer Mali 604 gpu, compared to the Mali 400) or the S4 Pro which incorporates the new Adreno 320. Seems like both of these SoCs aren't in the cards for any devices until Christmas rolls around or maybe even into next year.
    think Sammy may put one of these two mixes in the Note2...which should be out right around October....I can dream anyway..
    06-07-2012 06:09 PM
    How better, in terms of battery life, is the US SGS3 (dual-core) compared to the International SGS3 (quad-core)? I'm using the International version here in the Philippines right now. Would it be better to sell this phone right now and buy an unlocked phone from the US?

Also, would the US SGS3's LTE feature work here in our country considering that our upcoming 4G LTE network would use 1800MHz?
    08-27-2012 04:51 AM
    It won't be drastically different if the quad-core is clocked down much lower than the dual-core.

I do wish I had the quad-core + 2gb version. It would be slightly future proof as I doubt some manufacturer would come out with a 6-8 core SoC.

Now I wish the US Variants had the S4 Quad-Core that is being worked on.
    08-27-2012 11:46 AM
    It won't be drastically different if the quad-core is clocked down much lower than the dual-core.

I do wish I had the quad-core + 2gb version. It would be slightly future proof as I doubt some manufacturer would come out with a 6-8 core SoC.

Now I wish the US Variants had the S4 Quad-Core that is being worked on.
    The international is quad core, 1GB, not 2. I'd rather have an extra gig of RAM than quad core with no LTE.

Sent from my Galaxy Note.
    08-27-2012 11:49 AM
    The international is quad core, 1GB, not 2. I'd rather have an extra gig of RAM than quad core with no LTE.

I think he was referring to the Korean version not the international version.

Korea gets quad-core Samsung Galaxy S3 on LTE | Mobile - CNET News

Built with a later version of the quad-core chip that supports LTE.
    08-27-2012 01:42 PM
    I think he was referring to the Korean version not the international version.

Korea gets quad-core Samsung Galaxy S3 on LTE | Mobile - CNET News

Built with a later version of the quad-core chip that supports LTE.
    Well then, I retract my previous statement.

08-27-2012 10:03 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD