Dual Core vs. Quad Core

Roboticz

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
So it has been revealed that the North American LTE SGS3 phones will have the dual core Snapdragon processor instead of the Samsung quad core processor.

How will the performance of the LTE phones compare to the quad core models? Will there be a big difference in performance?

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't think there's much difference. The quad core runs smoother, but doesn't play well with LTE like the Snapdragon does.

sirheck

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Main thing is currently most every android application utilizes no more
than 2 cores, it will probably remain this way for the next 2 years or so.

Reactions: pcorlatan

v1rtu4l

May 22, 2012
Visit site
the dual core S4 CPU that will be in the LTE variants of the phone will likely be powerful enough and have the benefit that it will probably last langer (if the battery stays the same)

Roboticz

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Cool... I'm probably buying the phone anyways when it comes out on Rogers... but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any huge disadvantage out of the box. Would have sucked if your phone was "old" tech on the day you bought it.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Cool... I'm probably buying the phone anyways when it comes out on Rogers... but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any huge disadvantage out of the box. Would have sucked if your phone was "old" tech on the day you bought it.

Technically speaking, the Exynos is more old tech. It's basically last years components doubled up with the same GPU as last year running at a higher speed, all built on a smaller, more efficient process. The S4 uses the more modern A15 based instruction set compared to the A9 in the Exynos, and is build using the even more efficient 28 nm process. The GPU is what's holding it back a bit being still largely based on the old Adreno 220 but ramped up quite a bit with huge gains in speed thanks to the much improved memory throughput.

What everyone REALLY wanted was either the Exynos 5250 dual core (also based on A15 with the newer Mali 604 gpu, compared to the Mali 400) or the S4 Pro which incorporates the new Adreno 320. Seems like both of these SoCs aren't in the cards for any devices until Christmas rolls around or maybe even into next year.

Going back down to earth, my GS2 runs everything you throw at it without any problems, granted, it runs at a lower resolution, but the chips that both versions of the GS3 get are more than capable of running at 720p. For the most part, as long as the UI is fast and stutter free, I don't see any apps or games causing problems. It will take a while before software developers will catch up to the new processors and will really start to challenge them.

Last edited:

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
After using the Note with the Qualcomm chip and the Skyrocket, I think I'll pass on any Qualcomm chip in the future. They lag!!!!! The AT&T GSII with the Exynos chip has night and day difference in fluidity compared to the Note and SR.

Its pretty pathetic they can't accommodate LTE or HSPA+42 into the Quad core Exynos chip.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
After using the Note with the Qualcomm chip and the Skyrocket, I think I'll pass on any Qualcomm chip in the future. They lag!!!!! The AT&T GSII with the Exynos chip has night and day difference in fluidity compared to the Note and SR.

Its pretty pathetic they can't accommodate LTE or HSPA+42 into the Quad core Exynos chip.

That was last generation. Qualcomm made some big improvements for this generation. In quite a few benchmarks....I know I know..... the dual core S4 kills the quadcore Tegra 3.

I share your fears of lag though, I remember my Evo 4G and Evo 3d, and I won't sleep easy until I see the first video of a Sprint GS3 flying through homescreens lag free! :)

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
That was last generation. Qualcomm made some big improvements for this generation. In quite a few benchmarks....I know I know..... the dual core S4 kills the quadcore Tegra 3.

I share your fears of lag though, I remember my Evo 4G and Evo 3d, and I won't sleep easy until I see the first video of a Sprint GS3 flying through homescreens lag free! :)

I wasn't saying it was a bad chip or anything, its just extremely frustrating us North American folks always seem to draw the short end of the straw on these high end phones. I'd be fine if AT&T released the LTE version along with 2GB of ram and the dual core processor, but why not the quad core version also which would sport HSPA+ 21?

Personally speaking of course, AT&T's LTE is not that fast around my area (Chicago) and I'd rather have a faster phone. HSPA+ gets the job done.

This is why the iPhone is such a great (limited) device, because they don't dumb it down.

UCLA 15

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

This. There's no reason to fear the performance capabilities of the S4. Basing your opinion of Qualcomm entirely on S3-I agree, S3 was crap and my Sensation is still a laggy mess. Hell, I've run AOSP and Sense 4 ROMs on it, even OC'd sometimes, and it's still quite laggy. But Qualcomm has really delivered with S4, and since much of day-to-day use will rely on per-core performance (it's not like you are going to use all 4 cores of the Exynos just flipping through the UI), I would argue that the NA version with S4 and 2 GB RAM will be just as smooth as the quad core.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't saying it was a bad chip or anything, its just extremely frustrating us North American folks always seem to draw the short end of the straw on these high end phones. I'd be fine if AT&T released the LTE version along with 2GB of ram and the dual core processor, but why not the quad core version also which would sport HSPA+ 21?

Personally speaking of course, AT&T's LTE is not that fast around my area (Chicago) and I'd rather have a faster phone. HSPA+ gets the job done.

This is why the iPhone is such a great (limited) device, because they don't dumb it down.

I have both models of the galaxy note and the difference in performance between the S3 processor and the Exynos dualcore is comparable with stock ROMs in my opinion. The exynos lags a bit as well with exynos, even on ICS on the GNote. You are comparing a low resolution screen (sgsII) to a HD screen (GNote) when comparing the exynos and the S3. The S4 will be more than ample for the SGSIII! Unlike Chicago's LTE, we have fast LTE where I live and the S4 will be amazing with fast LTE. Certainly better than a international version on HSPA + in my opinion.

Last edited:

r00t

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
There should be a noticeable difference in battery life, favoring the Dual Core. It's like the HTC One X American vs International versions.

I wonder why manufactures are deciding to do this?

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

I was just in the Chicago area last weekend. Had everywhere between 7mbps and 20 mbps. I'd say that's ok. In indy I regularly get in the 12-30 range. Had the ATT SGS2 before my Skyrocket and the hspa+ was only around 3 mbps. My iPhone 4 before that topped at 1.5 mbps.

LTE is enough of an upgrade for me. Anyway, if you want the Exynos with hspa+ 21, then just buy the international unlocked.

Sent from my Samsung SGH-i727 on ATT LTE

DWR_31

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
If a dual-core phone can do what your quad-core phone can do, plus enable LTE features, and consume less battery, What the hell are you whining about?

sledgie#AC

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
would someone show me where Samsung announced that sprints version would be an S4 krait processor - and not the 5250L? would love to see this, really.

and please don't take this as me being a smart ass or bashing, I'd really like to see where Samsung said its Sprint version (which always got the better S, SII versions of the Galaxy) stated the Sprint version, whether its 16 or 32GB versions, was getting the Krait(S4) processor.

I was still under the impression that we had to wait to June 20th to see the specs...which might include 2GB RAM as well......
personally id like to see 5250-L(te) as sprints processor. but...I have a suspicion that this isn't the only android phone we will see from Samsung...this year, if its a Krait

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't saying it was a bad chip or anything, its just extremely frustrating us North American folks always seem to draw the short end of the straw on these high end phones.

That is the whole point of what everyone is saying- it is not a short end. Even if the cores are identical, the vast majority of people would never gain any advantage with 2 more cores. It is just icing on the cake that the S4 are *better* cores while using less power.