Long time Blackberry user but I've had enough. I'm about to pre order the S3 on Rogers but have a few questions before doing so, memory wise. I don't know what size (16 or 32gb) to get. Regardless, I was going to put in a 32gb sd card but I don't know how much memory everything takes up.

Do apps take up a lot of memory? Is it really necessary to get a total of 64gb? (Is it just for movies and pictures?)

I'm just used to not having many apps to begin with (damn Blackberry) and if I did, they didn't take much memory.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

P.s I can't waitttt for this phone!
    islandguy808 likes this.
    06-01-2012 12:46 PM
    Congrats on ditching BB. As a fellow Canadian, I would love to see them do well, but you gotta stay current and they're not doing it.

Anyway, I'm going to get the 32gb S3 and I have a 32gb card. If you use your phone to play music, like I will, then get the 32gb phone. You can put your music, movies (videos) and pictures on the card. Or you can get the 16gb phone and the 64gb card. Now, Samsung is saying only 32gb card in it's promo literature, but the rumour is that it'll take a 64gb card.

For the most part, apps are small, but the more advancements in graphics and the more intense the games get, the bigger the apps will get.

Go big on the size, if you go small and then find out you need more space you're sol.
    06-01-2012 01:34 PM
    Alright thanks! How much does a top graphics game take up in memory? 500mb? 1gb?.. I'm not shy about spending money on games or apps if they are worth it.

On a side note, bothers me how Rogers hasn't released pricing info for the 32gb model. I called them and they asked the manager, but they do not know either. They thinkkk around 50 dollars extra or so.
    06-01-2012 01:37 PM
    Not sure about memory usage, sorry.

They know. If Bell and Telus has released full pricing for the S3, then Rogers knows what they'll be charging.
    06-01-2012 01:56 PM
    im sure you guys have access to play.google.com you can have a preview of ALL the apps in the market and see the size of them
    06-01-2012 03:16 PM
    im sure you guys have access to play.google.com you can have a preview of ALL the apps in the market and see the size of them
    He's asking for the size of the apps, he's asking for the amount of memory the apps use when running.
    06-01-2012 03:20 PM
    I used to have a a Blackberry and switched to Android (Nexus S)... and I'm looking to get an SGS3 now. Basically everything goes up in the Android world. I used to have 500MB data on my Blackberry and I had to switch to 1GB limit. Apps are bigger... maybe in the region of a couple megs each. If you get into some of the more complicated games tho... then the sizes can get really large... you can have additional downloads of 200 to 400MB for some of the more elaborate games.

My Nexus S has 16GB of storage and even tho I have music and over 1000 photos on it... I still have 4GB left over. So 16GB should be good enough if you were survining on your Blackberry... and obviously with the SGS3 you can always add an SD card for additional storage.

Incase you are curious I have about 90 apps downloaded from the Google Play store on my Nexus S.
    Nashstruck and mpmtkd like this.
    06-01-2012 03:30 PM
    I used to have a a Blackberry and switched to Android (Nexus S)... and I'm looking to get an SGS3 now. Basically everything goes up in the Android world. I used to have 500MB data on my Blackberry and I had to switch to 1GB limit. Apps are bigger... maybe in the region of a couple megs each. If you get into some of the more complicated games tho... then the sizes can get really large... you can have additional downloads of 200 to 400MB for some of the more elaborate games.

My Nexus S has 16GB of storage and even tho I have music and over 1000 photos on it... I still have 4GB left over. So 16GB should be good enough if you were survining on your Blackberry... and obviously with the SGS3 you can always add an SD card for additional storage.

Incase you are curious I have about 90 apps downloaded from the Google Play store on my Nexus S.
    Great! Thanks for your help.
    06-01-2012 03:44 PM
    As they like to say (nag) on Crackberry, "use the Search function first" lol.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...lackberry.html
    mpmtkd likes this.
    06-02-2012 11:32 AM
    Having owned 6 berries and considering a move to Android, I realize how much I have been missing. One thing that has attracted me to the SGS3 over other Android is the customization that I am used to. Hate being told that I can't add a micro SD card or take what is made with no customization. It seems that I can the speed and UX with so many common device features that are familiar but have been taken to the next level in terms of the UX.
    06-02-2012 11:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD