Stronger radios than the S2

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I was curious if anybody knows what cell radios Samsung is going to use in the Galaxy S3. Will it be the same as the S2 or will it be stronger and better?

OMGLadyGaga

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Not having the Exynos quadcore seems like a bad beat at first, but in actuality due to Qualcomm's solid radios I think this is gonna turn out for the better. People like to say HTC makes better radios than Samsung, which isn't really the case, HTC always uses Qualcomm CPUs and thus use their radios as well. Looks like we might get the best of both worlds with the Galaxy S 3.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The wifi is better than in the GS2, but this goes for the international version. Pocketnow has a comparison video between the 2 and 3, and at least in the wifi test on the same router the GS3 was way faster.

I got rid of my Evo 3d in favor of the GS2 because I had so many reception issues with it, the GS2 was much better, lets see what happens.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
S4 = qualcomm radios and the same radios in one X (is what I have right now), man this thing screams on ATT HSPA network, I get 5-10mb all the time.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Well this is good news. The Galaxy S2 had terrible reception issues. Now I just got to see if I'll like the AMOLED screen better than the LCD in the EVO LTE, since they may be similar reception wise.

C'mon Motorola, show us what you got!

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
S4 = qualcomm radios and the same radios in one X (is what I have right now), man this thing screams on ATT HSPA network, I get 5-10mb all the time.

Since the US versions have the Qualcomm S4 SoC and thus Qualcomm radios, that's a a very good sign.

Radios and basebands are two separate things. The S4 SoC that you are all talking about only has the baseband portion, The RF radio portion is handled in a separate chip(s) that may or may not be Qualcomm (I don't know what they are using).

Bottom line, knowing the SoC that is being used is not in and of itself sufficient to determine the quality of the signal reception/transmission for a given device.

Edit: One other thing to consider, you can be using the best radios in the industry but if your antenna design is poor you will still have bad performance. So how Samsung designs and implements their antennas is 50% of the performance equation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crispy

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Radios and basebands are two separate things. The S4 SoC that you are all talking about only has the baseband portion, The RF radio portion is handled in a separate chip(s) that may or may not be Qualcomm (I don't know what they are using).

Bottom line, knowing the SoC that is being used is not in and of itself sufficient to determine the quality of the signal reception/transmission for a given device.

I can only assume that the att version are the same.

jamisont

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
SII LTE version also had Qualcomm soc in it not exynos. so chip isnt the issue.

its samsung's low efficient dielectrically loaded antenna itself. (to achieve low sar rating)
its dilema for manufacturers, you cant have both low sar rating and better reception at same time, u have to compromise in between. (or develope new method or tech)

usually low SAR rating phones requires higher transmit power than high SAR rating phones.
so its better to get high sar rating phones in rural area.

motorola has high sar rating phones, nokia, htc make both low and high sar rating phones (but their popular phones have mid to high sar ratings usually), iphone is in between (0.9~1.2w/kg)

Set2374

May 9, 2012
Visit site

Edit: One other thing to consider, you can be using the best radios in the industry but if your antenna design is poor you will still have bad performance. So how Samsung designs and implements their antennas is 50% of the performance equation.

This isn't correct. The reason all of the north American providers are using the S4 in their latest LTE phones is because it has an integrated radio built right on the SoC that can handle all frequencies used in the US and Canada, edge, GSM, cdma, hspa+ and LTE. It's just a matter of writing the optimizing the radio for each carrier. The att&t One X, which uses the same exact chip set, can in theory be set to run on Verizon's cdma and lte network, but att obviously won't be in unlocking that functionality any time soon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully since the us version is using a qualcomm integrated chip we won't have any issues with radios since qualcomm makes some good radios compared to what Samsung uses.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2