06-08-2012 12:17 AM
40 12
tools
    I will never choose a CDMA network over a GSM one. Never

sent from my Galaxy S2
    Why? CDMA is a technically superior technology. Which is why they couldn't add data to GSM but could with CDMA networks. They needed WCDMA to get the first level data to actually work for the GSM carrier before UMTS and HSPA. And with LTE the distinction will surely be going away
    06-05-2012 10:11 PM
    I thought the GS3 was going to be a world capable phone so it should go on GSM also I assume.
    06-05-2012 10:12 PM
    Seriously everyone I know has AT&T. I know that's hard to believe but Verizon wasn't that big of a deal here until a few years ago. I'm 28. Most of the people I know ( including myself) have accepted the bad service and stayed with AT&T for years. I mean I'm sure if I did a full out fb manhunt I could have found someone but my immediate circle of friends and family all have AT&T. I'm thinking Verizon will be better for me overall IF the coverage map is true.
    06-05-2012 10:52 PM
    Verizon's 3G is not as bad as some make it out to be, I used it for quite awhile with 800k - 1.4mbps down and AT&T 3G can get just as slow, they just have a higher top speed.
    Verizon has stated that all areas that have 3G will be upgraded to LTE, so I think switching to Verizon is a no brainer, even if they didn't upgrade to LTE Verizon 3G is much better than 2G
    and AT&T for all their hype about upgrades, never puts the money into deployments that AT&T does, an area like that won't see 4G on AT&T.
    06-05-2012 10:54 PM
    Seriously everyone I know has AT&T. I know that's hard to believe but Verizon wasn't that big of a deal here until a few years ago. I'm 28. Most of the people I know ( including myself) have accepted the bad service and stayed with AT&T for years. I mean I'm sure if I did a full out fb manhunt I could have found someone but my immediate circle of friends and family all have AT&T. I'm thinking Verizon will be better for me overall IF the coverage map is true.
    Well like I said, go try it for 14 days and you will know!
    06-05-2012 11:01 PM
    I just searched the FCC's spectrum map for the region of KY where the OP lives.

AT&T can't launch LTE where you live. They simply don't have the 700 MHz spectrum to do so.

I think that makes it obvious VZW is a better choice.
    06-05-2012 11:32 PM
    In my area I have 2G. Yes, 2G on AT&T. They aren't upgrading my service to 3G until April of 2013. My area will never see 4G (at least not on AT&T). I can drive 30 mins and have 3G but I can't send or recieve MMS messages when I'm at home because 2G is . This really sucks as I have family spread all over the country. I know Verizon's 3G isn't as great as AT&T's 3G, but considering I'm still on 2G at my house, would making the leap to Verizon be the most logical choice? I'm on the unlimited data plan with AT&T but what good is it doing me if I can only use it 50% of the time? I'd rather be on a tiered plan with Verizon and have usability. Give me any kind of input. Thanks!!
    I'm a little late to the conversation, but here are my thoughts.

1) You already have the micro-cell coming. Try it and see if what it does in your home and on your property. And test with your present phone so you're not locked in by an upgrade. If it does enough to keep you happy, you're golden. If not, maybe switch.

2) Alternatively, several have indicated you can try VZW for 30 days & cancel with no penalty if you're unhappy. Verify that's the case before you jump. If it is, go for it. But keep your AT&T plan. You can do both tests at the same time, if need be. But, if VZW isn't right for you, you don't want to lose the grandfathered unlimited plan by cancelling. You won't get it back with a new AT&T contract. So have both for the 30 day test and cancel whichever is worse.
    06-06-2012 01:17 AM
    Why? CDMA is a technically superior technology. Which is why they couldn't add data to GSM but could with CDMA networks. They needed WCDMA to get the first level data to actually work for the GSM carrier before UMTS and HSPA. And with LTE the distinction will surely be going away
    For something that it technically superior it has a lot of short comings, at least in the way Verizon and Sprint deployed CDMA. Not being able to do voice and data at the same time is a big issue for me. And the fact that it can't do long SMS messages drives me up the wall.

But if I was the OP I would take those short comings and try verizon.
    06-06-2012 09:16 PM
    For something that it technically superior it has a lot of short comings, at least in the way Verizon and Sprint deployed CDMA. Not being able to do voice and data at the same time is a big issue for me. And the fact that it can't do long SMS messages drives me up the wall.

But if I was the OP I would take those short comings and try verizon.
    Depends on which phone you have. The Thunderbolt and Rezound are capable of simultaneous voice and data over 3G. The MSM8960 in the SIII supports svdo and the Evo 4G LTE on Sprint has the same chip and is apparently capable of voice/data over 3g as well so guess the verdict is still out on the SIII
    06-06-2012 09:28 PM
    This area in KY will get LTE from VZW before AT&T comes out with 3G. I checked into it.

Come on this is a virtual slam dunk. I see no reason to stay on AT&T for this guy. Yes I know about CDMA shortcomings but they don't mean jack when LTE is a GSM evolutionary standard.
    06-07-2012 04:12 AM
    It's a tradeoff. Verizon is the better network in general. The 3G is slower but it is everywhere and the LTE is going to be everywhere. Phone selection sucks on Verizon though in general and it always has.
    06-07-2012 05:50 AM
    GPRS and EDGE both gave the option of simultaneous voice and data years ago. EvDO never allowed this until recently and 3G data speeds aren't even close. GSM tech wins by a mile... coming from a Verizon customer.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk 2.
    06-07-2012 06:19 AM
    What about T-Mobile? You never know unless you do some research. I have both T-Mobile & Verizon service. On T-Mobile during the day I am getting on average between 12 & 16 MB down. Not too shabby for the 4th Carrier in the US. T-Mobile has very fast HSPA+ if you are in their service area. You can not beat their plans & prices. Nothing to loose. They also will supply you a cell booster free if you live in a single family home. I had great reception and I still got one free. The booster works great. All bars all the time.
    Good Luck,
    Vinny

Rezound via Tapatalk 2.
    06-07-2012 06:38 AM
    Vinny, knowing that area of Kentucky very well, I doubt T-Mobile is an option there.
    06-07-2012 10:10 AM
    I live in central KY and Tmo coverage is awful.
    06-08-2012 12:17 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD