AT&T vs. Verizon for S3?

Urbancowboy69

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
In my area I have 2G. Yes, 2G on AT&T. They aren't upgrading my service to 3G until April of 2013. My area will never see 4G (at least not on AT&T). I can drive 30 mins and have 3G but I can't send or recieve MMS messages when I'm at home because 2G is . This really sucks as I have family spread all over the country. I know Verizon's 3G isn't as great as AT&T's 3G, but considering I'm still on 2G at my house, would making the leap to Verizon be the most logical choice? I'm on the unlimited data plan with AT&T but what good is it doing me if I can only use it 50% of the time? I'd rather be on a tiered plan with Verizon and have usability. Give me any kind of input. Thanks!!

equishd

May 20, 2012
Visit site
2G???? where do you live? you really dont have many options here.

a great plan and crappy service or a crappy plan and ok service .

Urbancowboy69

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm serious it's 2G lol I live in the eastern portion of Kentucky. I have 3G if I drive 30 mins but like I said I can't send or get any kind of multimedia messages while at home. It sucks. How bad is Verizon's 3G? I am going to get the 5 gb plan but if it sucks that bad, is it even worth it? I use a lot of wifi but it sucks having to put pictures on fb because I can't even text them at home.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
In my area I have 2G. Yes, 2G on AT&T. They aren't upgrading my service to 3G until April of 2013. My area will never see 4G (at least not on AT&T). I can drive 30 mins and have 3G but I can't send or recieve MMS messages when I'm at home because 2G is . This really sucks as I have family spread all over the country. I know Verizon's 3G isn't as great as AT&T's 3G, but considering I'm still on 2G at my house, would making the leap to Verizon be the most logical choice? I'm on the unlimited data plan with AT&T but what good is it doing me if I can only use it 50% of the time? I'd rather be on a tiered plan with Verizon and have usability. Give me any kind of input. Thanks!!

I am a big supporter of ATT, but I would try out Verizon to see if it works any better at your house than the ATT.

Fraydog

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I'd go with VZW.

They could beat AT&T's HSPA+ to your area with LTE. The odds of them having LTE where you live by end of this calendar year are good. Plus, Applalachian Wireless is putting up a bunch of LTE in Eastern KY that VZW customers will also be able to use.

Only thing I'd test is coverage, but if that works and you aren't in an area where VZW is oversold, then you should be good to go.

I'm telling you this with my AT&T avatar, :lol: I think each area is different and it sounds like you may be in a place with better VZW coverage.

What town do you live nearest to?

Fraydog

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I will never choose a CDMA network over a GSM one. Never

sent from my Galaxy S2

If you lived in an area where AT&T had EDGE I bet you'd be on CDMA. :lol: I know it's a really small number of people that still live in EDGE only areas but until more rural HSPA+ is deployed people with smartphones in those areas kind of have to go to Verizon.

Also LTE is a GSM network so when VZW completes the changeover to having LTE everywhere and VoLTE enabled by the end of 2013, that's a big plus for Verizon IMO.

I like AT&T but they need to hit the accelerator here though HSPA+ will be fine against LTE in really rural areas. The OP does live in a stronger VZW area now that Appalachian is a full LTE partner.

http://www.appalachianwireless.com/?page=thenews

Urbancowboy69

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm an hour shy of Lexington. Right on the cusp of Tennessee. We will never have 4G with AT&T. I have 3G if I go 30 mins west but oddly enough have to go over an hour south to get 3G again. According to the Verizon map I do get service at my address and more importantly I get 3G service at my house BUT if the 3G service Verizon is going to offer is going to be equal to the edge service I have now I'll just stay put and wait for AT&T to eventually give us 3G. What are your thoughts? Will Verizon's 3G at least beat AT&Ts edge as far as data goes?

kev2126

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried a M-Cell for the house? If you live in an area that is known to have bad ATT reception you can go to the ATT store and get a free M-Cell. ATT is willing to do this to keep customers from jumping and going to other carriers. We just went through this very thing. LTE reception is good at the house but Voice is spotty at best. Called ATT and complained and they recommended I go to the local ATT store and pick up a free M-Cell. Give it a try.

Oh and HI EVERYONE! First post! Converting to Android from my miserable little Palm Pre2. Can't wait for this phone!

Last edited:

Urbancowboy69

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I have five bars sitting in my living room. Never have issues making or receiving calls but data? Forget about it. It's 2G. Does this m-cell improve data?

Fraydog

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm an hour shy of Lexington. Right on the cusp of Tennessee. We will never have 4G with AT&T. I have 3G if I go 30 mins west but oddly enough have to go over an hour south to get 3G again. According to the Verizon map I do get service at my address and more importantly I get 3G service at my house BUT if the 3G service Verizon is going to offer is going to be equal to the edge service I have now I'll just stay put and wait for AT&T to eventually give us 3G. What are your thoughts? Will Verizon's 3G at least beat AT&Ts edge as far as data goes?

I'd try it out. Based on where you live you could have 4G LTE from Verizon soon. That would make your choice pretty straight forward IMO. Check with a corporate store near you. At the least workers at a corporate store have an idea of when Verizon would get LTE in your neighborhood. Check with a corporate store near you, the closest is probably in Lexington.

As far as using data at home, I would use Wi-Fi off my home Internet. I understand though if you live in an area where wireless Internet is the only option. The Microcell requires a wireline broadband connection so in areas where home broadband is not available, it is not an option. What the Microcell helps with more than anything is better calls by giving a phone a 3G GSM connection to the phone system as opposed to a 2G connection. 3G is a better system that's more reliable.

Last edited:

Urbancowboy69

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I called Verizon and to just test their service for say 2 days it will cost me 80 bucks! Fml! I'm trying to find someone that has Verizon so I can test it at my house. Also, I called AT&T and they are sending me a m-cell for free, so that might alleviate at least the sending pics at home. It doesnt fully fix my problem though. I dont want to pay 80 bucks to try their service for 2 days.

Fraydog

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I called Verizon and to just test their service for say 2 days it will cost me 80 bucks! Fml! I'm trying to find someone that has Verizon so I can test it at my house. Also, I called AT&T and they are sending me a m-cell for free, so that might alleviate at least the sending pics at home. It doesnt fully fix my problem though. I dont want to pay 80 bucks to try their service for 2 days.

See if your friend can run speed tests if he has a smartphone on Verizon.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

How did you get it free? I wanted to charge me $199 when I called

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

jphillips1963

Banned
Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Be careful of what Verizon's coverage map says, I know first hand it's not a true map. They tell me.I should be covered up with 4g yet I'm lucky if I get 3g for most part and with numerous calls all they say is they will let me out of my contract at no cost.

sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

ptb127

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Verizon's 3G is faster the AT&T's EDGE data speed wise. It's not as fast at AT&T'S 3G but if you have VZW 3G at your house, it's better then having EDGE only. Sounds like you live in a real rural area not to even have 3G at your locale. I have worked for at&t and tested the microcell's out. They work well, within your own house. But wouldn't use WiFi anyway and wouldn't really have the need for it? Have to use what works where you spend the vast majority of your time, regardless of carrier or cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz