06-21-2012 04:46 AM
62 123
tools
    For me, the Note would be way too big for me to carry comfortably in my front pocket. To be honest, the S3 is a little bigger than I'd like but I'm just dying to ditch my iPhone because I've grown sick of Apple's business practices and no longer wish to support them. If Windows 8 turns out to be a great OS, I might ditch my MacBook Pro as well.

I think a 4" to 4.3" screen is the sweet spot for me, but it's awesome to have so many options available.
    06-14-2012 11:15 PM
    For me, the Note would be way too big for me to carry comfortably in my front pocket. To be honest, the S3 is a little bigger than I'd like but I'm just dying to ditch my iPhone because I've grown sick of Apple's business practices and no longer wish to support them. If Windows 8 turns out to be a great OS, I might ditch my MacBook Pro as well.

I think a 4" to 4.3" screen is the sweet spot for me, but it's awesome to have so many options available.
    As someone that started with a Palm Pre+ (3.2" screen I believe) I can relate to the notion of "increasing screen size little by little." I went from the Pre+ to a Droid 3 (4" screen) now to the GSIII.

Perhaps you would be more comfortable waiting for the next Incredible to release. It should have a screen in the 4 to 4.3" size.

-Suntan
    06-15-2012 09:04 AM
    06-15-2012 09:17 AM
    Meh. 5.5" is overkill on a device that is to be highly portable and a phone that is to be held up to your head. I'm not going to act like one of these Apple fans who think that whatever is on their device is the perfect size. Perfect is in the eye of the beholder. HOWEVER Generally speaking the people I've seen hold a note up to their head look ridiculous. Not Galaxy Tab sized ridiculous, but its not a phone sized device.

To each their own though. If it floats your boat more power to you. But IMHO the absolute max size is 5" and even then that is pushing it.

As for specs. Yes very nice. What are you going to do with that hardware? Seriously I've found one thing in life when it comes to tech: You can buy the latest and greatest speced out system and that means exactly jack when it comes to real world performance. As CyanogenMod has taught us, software is just as important as hardware.
    I'd sooner have 2-3 updates on a Galaxy S 3 with a solid reliable system then a new system this fall that might be buggy who's performance in things like taking photos, opening apps, sending txt, doing some light gaming, swapping back and forth between apps, and remoting into a system at home are pretty much going to be identical.
    And frankly. I'm on a 2 year contract. I'm going to upgrade in 2 years anyways. A phone now, vs a phone this fall makes little difference when it comes to how well the phone will be working in 2 years.

Again if that is the phone you are eyeballing. Good luck. But I can bet you a paycheck that when it ships there will be rumors of Galaxy S4 for March '13 already.
    06-15-2012 01:06 PM
    As someone that started with a Palm Pre+ (3.2" screen I believe) I can relate to the notion of "increasing screen size little by little." I went from the Pre+ to a Droid 3 (4" screen) now to the GSIII.

Perhaps you would be more comfortable waiting for the next Incredible to release. It should have a screen in the 4 to 4.3" size.

-Suntan
    I thought about doing that but I'm really not a fan of HTC Sense and the specs of the GS3 are swaying me as well. I previously had a Galaxy Nexus and dealt with it, so I'll deal with it on the GS3 also.
    06-15-2012 01:12 PM
    Meh. 5.5" is overkill on a device that is to be highly portable and a phone that is to be held up to your head. I'm not going to act like one of these Apple fans who think that whatever is on their device is the perfect size. Perfect is in the eye of the beholder. HOWEVER Generally speaking the people I've seen hold a note up to their head look ridiculous. Not Galaxy Tab sized ridiculous, but its not a phone sized device.

To each their own though. If it floats your boat more power to you. But IMHO the absolute max size is 5" and even then that is pushing it.

As for specs. Yes very nice. What are you going to do with that hardware? Seriously I've found one thing in life when it comes to tech: You can buy the latest and greatest speced out system and that means exactly jack when it comes to real world performance. As CyanogenMod has taught us, software is just as important as hardware.
    I'd sooner have 2-3 updates on a Galaxy S 3 with a solid reliable system then a new system this fall that might be buggy who's performance in things like taking photos, opening apps, sending txt, doing some light gaming, swapping back and forth between apps, and remoting into a system at home are pretty much going to be identical.
    And frankly. I'm on a 2 year contract. I'm going to upgrade in 2 years anyways. A phone now, vs a phone this fall makes little difference when it comes to how well the phone will be working in 2 years.

Again if that is the phone you are eyeballing. Good luck. But I can bet you a paycheck that when it ships there will be rumors of Galaxy S4 for March '13 already.
    +1,000
    06-15-2012 02:04 PM
    As much as I'd love to get the Note 2, the major variables for me (release date and carrier) are too much for me to wait.
    I'll be getting the S3, then I can wait for the Note 4 (2 year upgrade).

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    06-15-2012 02:47 PM

If you want to wait for the note2 because you like the form-factor, that's cool. But once again, if you're only doing it because you like the idea of the speedy new processor, you're likely wasting your time.

-Suntan
    I do like the size better Suntan.. But its not the cover of the book.. its what's inside. If you are / have purchased the S3 and its enough for you more power to you.. As far as I am concerned, knowing what is just around the corner ( for me 150 days max is no biggie ) in the 5250 CPU that has enough firepower to blow away the Exynos Quad-Core AND a GPU ( T-604 ) thats *400%* stronger than the GPU in the S2 ( which worked pretty damn well ) is worth a four month wait for me... again my current 4G phone and unlimited data plan on verizon are working just fine.. I am not in the position of many that are trying or want to upgrade to a S3 before the 28th. I am paying full retail for my unit. And it will be WHATEVER unit is housing the 5250 CPU / T-604 GPU ( I am hoping its the G-Note 2 ) And they are coming out later this year, Samsung will tell you that.. If you are purchasing the S3 enjoy it! I am not going to be a "Razr / RazrMaxx Victim when I know these CPU / GPU's are in production. They simply represent the next level of technology.. that for me, is well worth waiting for.

06-16-2012 09:22 PM
    I do like the size better Suntan.. But its not the cover of the book.. its what's inside. If you are / have purchased the S3 and its enough for you more power to you.. As far as I am concerned, knowing what is just around the corner ( for me 150 days max is no biggie ) in the 5250 CPU that has enough firepower to blow away the Exynos Quad-Core AND a GPU ( T-604 ) thats *400%* stronger than the GPU in the S2 ( which worked pretty damn well ) is worth a four month wait for me... again my current 4G phone and unlimited data plan on verizon are working just fine.. I am not in the position of many that are trying or want to upgrade to a S3 before the 28th. I am paying full retail for my unit. And it will be WHATEVER unit is housing the 5250 CPU / T-604 GPU ( I am hoping its the G-Note 2 ) And they are coming out later this year, Samsung will tell you that.. If you are purchasing the S3 enjoy it! I am not going to be a "Razr / RazrMaxx Victim when I know these CPU / GPU's are in production. They simply represent the next level of technology.. that for me, is well worth waiting for.
    I would be willing to wait as well as I was intending to wait out the iphone 5 until just a couple months ago (when the android bug bit) but without anything definitive I don't think I can do it. Wouldn't it be more likely that samsung delays the 5250/T604 for the GS4? I need a phone I can actually pocket and I just can't wait another year with my beat up old 3GS.
    06-16-2012 10:52 PM
    I saw where there is supposed to be a stylus coming for the S III so you end up getting the smaller size with the ability to write notes on the S III.
    That i would like
    but maybe in the s4 lol
    06-18-2012 01:35 AM
    As far as I am concerned, knowing what is just around the corner ( for me 150 days max is no biggie ) in the 5250 CPU that has enough firepower to blow away the Exynos Quad-Core AND a GPU ( T-604 ) thats *400%* stronger than the GPU in the S2 ( which worked pretty damn well ) is worth a four month wait for me...
    Again, it will be more powerful, but there won't be any app that actually make use of that power. At least not until it is at the end of it's life and we have all already upgraded to the next phone.

What apps do you think will be available in the next 2 years that this will run, but the S3 won't?

I really don't care what phone you get. I just keep hearing you referencing this fancy new processor like it will really make a difference. It will be much more powerful, but it will also be unused as the ship has sailed for this design cycle, like it or not.

How many people really got any real world advantage to that screaming fast chip in their SGSII from last year? Could they watch any videos or play any games that my weaker Droid 3 couldn't?

-Suntan
    06-18-2012 08:49 AM

I really don't care what phone you get. I just keep hearing you referencing this fancy new processor like it will really make a difference. It will be much more powerful, but it will also be unused as the ship has sailed for this design cycle, like it or not.

-Suntan
    Agreed on how much oomph you need to run "Today's" games.. Believe me, My Droid Charge running the Eclispe Rom & Go Launcher Ex plays everything like butter.. with the SuperAmoled+ screen to boot.. but,

That's just part of the equation.How about having far more power with greater efficiency than this Gen's Cpu / Gpu's ?

Instructions Per Clock.. is where mobile technology will start to focus.. it will allow developers to create apps / games that will perform at a level equal to gaming consoles.

Again the S3 IMHO is the best phone you can order "TODAY" if you have a need to or want to upgrade from what you currently have..

But my need is simply not that great.. As you state your current phone plays "TODAY's" games just fine.. Believe me when I say mine does as well and looks fantastic while doing so..

But like it or not.. The A15 based 5250 CPU and T-604 GPU are real.. and headed this way by year's end.

You may not feel that its worth the wait but ANY COMBO that can blow away the Mighty Quad-Core Exynos CPU / OC Mail-400 GPU ( which I understand was tested against the U.S. version of the S3 over on Engadget and blew the U.S. S3 away..) is worth a 5 month wait for me.. We are 9 days away from July already..

Google / Verizon may even get this combo in the upcoming G-Nex 2 with pure JellyBean to boot.. I want that power Suntan.. Don't worry.. It will get used.

Wether its the G-Note 2 or the G-Nex 2 that will Debut the 5250 / T-604 ( Hopefully Running JellyBean ) I can easily wait these months out with my Droid Charge and make it a "Happy Black Friday" or a "Merry X-Mas !

Enjoy your S3 Suntan!

06-21-2012 04:46 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD