Gorilla Glass 2 = POS?

slide83

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Judging from the drop tests on youtube it seems that gorilla glass 2 is much more easily shattered than the original.

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree it does seem Gorilla Glass 2 is cheap and dropping a Galaxy S III with no case and a screen protector is suicide for the phone. It seems that any type of impact on the glass would cause it to shatter and oh yeah the Super AMOLED screen is bonded to the glass so if the glass shatters thats it game over.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
It is just as strong as the orig. Maybe it being part of the frame has something to do with it

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
This seems pretty convincing to me.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT8xI4PEU8c[/YT]

I don't know what that music is, but it sound creepy.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
That's where Black Tie protection or any other insurance comes in handy. Or a really good case...

You make it sound that the GS2 was unbreakable in comparison. I dropped my GS2 with no adverse affects from about 4 feet onto a tile floor. It just all depends on the situation. If you don't have some sort of insurance with a phone this expensive, well, then that is your own fault.

Last edited:

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Gorilla Glass is designed to take on scratches and face impacts. Any blow on an edge, however, and it shatters like sugar glass; you'd be lucky if it didn't.

Reactions: icewater106

skindoc

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Painful lesson learned the hard way: wife dropped RAZR MAXX on day 1 onto the sidewalk and the glass shattered. It was bought off of Craiglist (superb price; activated no problemo on VZW 4G LTE) and we did not have the insurance. $300 later, UBreakItIFixIt had it restored to its good looking self. Protective case purchased immediately thereafter. As for me, my SG SIII is on preorder. This time, insurance secured.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Painful lesson learned the hard way: wife dropped RAZR MAXX on day 1 onto the sidewalk and the glass shattered. It was bought off of Craiglist (superb price; activated no problemo on VZW 4G LTE) and we did not have the insurance. $300 later, UBreakItIFixIt had it restored to its good looking self. Protective case purchased immediately thereafter. As for me, my SG SIII is on preorder. This time, insurance secured.

Bingo. Especially since it seems this phone may be more difficult to repair. So if you drop and break it, that insurance will seem cheap :)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
My daughters epic 4g has had 4 screens replaced. I don't think gorilla glass 2 is any weaker or more prone to breakage than the original.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Insurance can be such a hassle as the replacement cost can be the deductible or almost as high as retail. You get refurbished in most cases. Case help mitigate the hassle and expense.

jamisont

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Gorilla glass isnt that better than ordinary fortified glasses (soda limes) on shock test.
its main advantage over other fortified glasses are its thiness and resistance to scratch (hardness)
GG2 is thinner than GG but maintained same hardness, thats all.

anyway about drop test (it seems 4 feet drop test), its gonna break screen for all other smartphones too. try 3 feet test and it will say otherwise.

Reactions: artofdesign

icewater106

May 1, 2012
Visit site
My daughters epic 4g has had 4 screens replaced. I don't think gorilla glass 2 is any weaker or more prone to breakage than the original.

I dropped my epic 4g alot of times on concrete,wood, tile etc.. And its been naked since i got it 2 years ago i dropped the phone on all sides and a little piece of plastic broke off and the screen has no deep scratches

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I dropped my epic 4g alot of times on concrete,wood, tile etc.. And its been naked since i got it 2 years ago i dropped the phone on all sides and a little piece of plastic broke off and the screen has no deep scratches

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

My daughter had it in her hoodie pocket and shut the car door on it and shattered it. Had it in her back pocket and sat on it and the screen cracked from side to side. And last but not least dropped it down a flight of concrete stairs at a football game.... yeah she's a bit of a klutz.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
How ppl handle their phones can make the difference. Cases protect. Screen protection helps. Price of phones....I want to protect my phone. I don't want to replace it. Mine is in perfect condition except for the kickstand pealing a little bit. Not one scratch. I do protect my device.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

FunkyAroma

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I've never owned a Gorilla Glass device before but my NAKED OG Evo has slipped from my hands 4,000 times and has never shattered. This includes flying across a bar and being dropped hard down subway steps and onto platforms more than a few times. It has some slight scratches but nothing very noticeable. Must be lucky! My old G1 definitely had some DEEP scratches and minor shattering in the glass after drops.

AdamBv1

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I think one thing that may not be helping with its drop tests is the fact that unlike most screens in the past that were flat and had the body come up to cover the edges the GS3 actually has rounded edges that curve down to meet the body and this probably makes a thinner part on the edge that is more prone to shattering.

This design makes it feel better in the hand and is part of Samsung's design on this phone of no straight lines but it looks like it might not be without its drawbacks.

You can see how rounded the glass is at the edge of the screen in the attached picture.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Hardness and being shatter resistant are 2 very different things that often get confused. Glass will always be at a risk of cracking no matter what.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781