Transfering apps and user data

jk175d

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So I've been using Titanium Backup for my rooted Epic 4g. It would make it super easy to transfer my apps and user data for said apps. BUT it requires a rooted phone. So what's the best solution to get my apps AND user data to the S3 when I get it?

Lolanerd

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Isn't all that stuff tied to your Gmail? So when you log on on your S3 I would think you'd have access to your apps, Idk about data though

jk175d

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Isn't all that stuff tied to your Gmail? So when you log on on your S3 I would think you'd have access to your apps, Idk about data though

yeah, apps aren't a problem. It's the data. It might be a couple of weeks at least before the XDA crowd comes up with a simple rooting process for laymen such as myself. Are there other backup solutions that hadle app data too that don't require a rooted phone?

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for starting this thread because it allows me to ask a noob question. The Epic Touch 4G was my first Android phone coming from webOS. With webOs when your Pre failed (I went through 4 of them) and they gave you a new one it would automatically download and install all your purchased apps after you logged your Palm account into the new phone, does android do this with apps bought from the Play Store? I guess the alternative would be going into the Play store and downloading them again manually one by one. I have all my contacts in Gmail so I'm not worried about those.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Can you hook it up to a computer and transfer via usb? I think you can also transfer app to sd card. Swap cards and you should be good to go. I think.

Anybody knows better, feel free to chime in.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-i727 on ATT LTE

Geikamir

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for starting this thread because it allows me to ask a noob question. The Epic Touch 4G was my first Android phone coming from webOS. With webOs when your Pre failed (I went through 4 of them) and they gave you a new one it would automatically download and install all your purchased apps after you logged your Palm account into the new phone, does android do this with apps bought from the Play Store? I guess the alternative would be going into the Play store and downloading them again manually one by one. I have all my contacts in Gmail so I'm not worried about those.

The GS3 will be my second Android as well and I'm also curious if there is an option to install the exact same apps from phone to phone (that are compatible, ofc). Because just an "install all" option won't do the same thing because I have plenty of apps that I've purchased that I don't use or want.

Vikman

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
The GS3 will be my second Android as well and I'm also curious if there is an option to install the exact same apps from phone to phone (that are compatible, ofc). Because just an "install all" option won't do the same thing because I have plenty of apps that I've purchased that I don't use or want.
You could login into the google play store from a computer and select which apps you want installed from there. As long as your phone is linked to your google account it will automatically install them on your phone.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You could login into the google play store from a computer and select which apps you want installed from there. As long as your phone is linked to your google account it will automatically install them on your phone.

But this will do nothing to transfer app data like game saves. For that, I believe the only real way to do it is with root.

Personally, I am rushing to try and finsih a couple of games on my Droid III and holding off starting some others. Although I am confident that an easy root method will be ready fairly shortly, I prefer to not root my phones right away.

-Suntan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781