08-27-2012 09:18 PM
56 123
tools
    the GPS is my SII never once failed me and I used it all the time for car navigation. If you're looking to have it track you dead nuts and record where you are walking or jogging / bike riding or whatever, I have no clue how it works for that.

The only time it is NG is when you loose server contact and that's what a real GPS unit is for.
    06-08-2012 09:51 AM
    That is what I keep saying but no one listens to me. The SoC is a whole new ballgame
    Yeah, but it doesn't matter of Samsung can't write a proper RIL.
    06-08-2012 10:25 AM
    Why are so many of you convinced that there will be major reception issues on this phone as with certain previous Samsung devices? This is their third generation of Android flagship device, that they designed based on previous experiences, successes, and failures. They got to choose all the components and build the software (unlike the Nexus), and are making the unprecedented decision to launch nearly identical hardware (SoC and network support being the only differences between versions) in ALL markets. They were able to convince each carrier to accept it with no changes, and pass their rigorous testing.

So I agree that various Samsung devices had problems in the past, but I have no reason to believe that Samsung is incapable of designing a working smartphone. They are THE largest cellphone manufacturer in nearly every country in the world, and one of the largest hardware companies overall. So I would expect they would have learned from their mistakes, they can't keep being so successful otherwise.

So it remains to be seen whether there are any issues or not, however I am tired of people claiming their will be just because its Samsung.

/
    jaekim717 and lpt2569 like this.
    06-08-2012 11:24 AM
    Anyone know if the new galaxy s3 is suffering from gps issues? I want the phone but I had a lot if issues with my epic 4g. Are the radios any better as well?
    No issues at all with gps on the SGS III even works in the house and where I work.

No other issues with reception at all great phone
    06-08-2012 01:55 PM
    According to iFixit's teardown, the S3 uses the Broadcom BCM47511, which is one of Broadcom's best and latest GPS chips:

Integrated Monolithic GNSS Receiver - BCM47511 | Broadcom

It supports both GPS and GLONASS (Russia's version of GPS) so assuming the GLONASS is unlocked, the S3 will be able to communicate with a total of 51 satellites (instead of the normal 30 you get with GPS alone). This leads one to conclude that the S3 should have decent location support.
    06-08-2012 03:02 PM
    I had issues with my Evo 3d and Evo 4G and Palm Pre. The Pre was the worst, had to reboot the stupid thing when it couldn't find the GPS anymore, and we all know you could grow a beard waiting for that thing to get its rear end back to work. The two Evos were pretty similar, usually locked pretty quick but sometimes they too would get stuck and I'd have to reboot to get GPS going again. The Epic 4G Touch doesn't need a reboot, it usually finds it after a while, it does however go a bit crazy on occasion where it shows me as driving next to the road and it also likes to reroute me constantly. A reboot is the quickest fix for that.

These are the international versions for both phones, but in general should be representative for our phones as well.
    06-08-2012 03:09 PM
    The phone is not out in the US yet, but the international version has no gps issues as seen in the video link Manny posted, so I cannot figure out why people are still harping on about it. Please stop comparing Samsung's older phones, which may have had gps issues with the GS3, which does not seem to have any gps issues from the reviews and video reviews I have seen.
    06-08-2012 03:24 PM
    also shows a comparison between the international One X and the Galaxy SIII (~10min mark)
    06-08-2012 03:33 PM
    The phone is not out in the US yet, but the international version has no gps issues as seen in the video link Manny posted, so I cannot figure out why people are still harping on about it. Please stop comparing Samsung's older phones, which may have had gps issues with the GS3, which does not seem to have any gps issues from the reviews and video reviews I have seen.
    Maybe because we've been burned multiple times by Samsung on signal issues and a couple minutes of video does nor equal real world.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    06-08-2012 09:58 PM
    Cannot be taken seriously.
    06-08-2012 10:10 PM
    Maybe because we've been burned multiple times by Samsung on signal issues and a couple minutes of video does nor equal real world.

I understand where you are coming from, and if you feel that way then you should not get the phone.
    06-09-2012 03:51 AM
    Reviews, almost ALWAYS universally say that the GPS works well...
    I had the EPIC 4G and the EPIC 4G Touch... GPS is horrible in both.
    HTC EVO 4G had the best GPS... snapped on, found satellites, and was ready to go, in Seconds... ALWAYS...
    I agree! When I had my EVO 4G, I drove from Columbus, Ohio to Washington, DC with no problems. Upgrade to Epic 4G Touch and could barely ever get a lock on gps!

With that said, I will still probably at least try the heck out of the III just to see if GPS is any better
    06-09-2012 09:21 AM
    I had GPS lock issues indoors on the SGSII, HTC One X, Galaxy Nexus, etc....all of them. With my iphone 4/4s, none. When you use apps like Foursquare that rely on GPS to be fairly accurate for quick check-ins to venues its imperative that the GPS functionality work well and quick. Android GPS overall for me just hasn't been solid. Unless I'm outside, I always have to either wait an extended period of time or search for my venues, which makes Foursquare and other apps like it less useful. I'm hoping the SGSIII is better than all of the phones I listed.
    06-09-2012 01:03 PM
    Just tested: Locks within one minute while indoors. Haven't been able to test outside yet, but should be even better!
    LazrRocketArm likes this.
    06-09-2012 03:18 PM
    I guess I'll see. Took a risk and pre ordered a 32gb blue. If I get lost during my workday (and I know what areas of my city where GPS locks are difficult) I'll return it during the window.

06-09-2012 08:54 PM
    I had GPS lock issues indoors on the SGSII, HTC One X, Galaxy Nexus, etc....all of them. With my iphone 4/4s, none. When you use apps like Foursquare that rely on GPS to be fairly accurate for quick check-ins to venues its imperative that the GPS functionality work well and quick. Android GPS overall for me just hasn't been solid. Unless I'm outside, I always have to either wait an extended period of time or search for my venues, which makes Foursquare and other apps like it less useful. I'm hoping the SGSIII is better than all of the phones I listed.
    Sounds like a phone geeks dream. You buying all these phones?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-i727 on ATT LTE
    06-09-2012 09:21 PM
    Sounds like a phone geeks dream. You buying all these phones?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-i727 on ATT LTE
    Yes sir. Typically I buy out of contract, sometimes from the store, sometimes from craigslist, and sometimes from an online site like Negri. I hardly ever lose money when I re-sell on craigslist.....and we all know a subsidized iphone sells for much more than the purchase price.

I love all tech, but especially smartphones. The One X is being sold tomorrow morning in preparation for the SGS3! :-)
    06-09-2012 10:03 PM
    That is what I keep saying but no one listens to me. The SoC is a whole new ballgame
    yeah new components you aren't going to know how it will perform. Samsung has yet to use this chipset in any phones so until the phone is in people's hands you can't really base it off of the old chips that Samsung used.
    06-09-2012 10:57 PM
    No GPS issues on mine. Locks quicker tgan my iphone. Rarely waited more than 20 seconds.

:o

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    06-10-2012 02:39 AM
    gps performance on the sgs3 from a different perspective:
    As a pilot i used various devices for my moving map and flight logging softwares.
    started with nokia, continued with htc and now got my new sgs3.

my experience with the android devices:

- htc desire: the desire made a quite good job in getting the
    satfix really quick (less than 15 seconds) without a-gps. i simply use the
    gps without the assistance of downloading the new gps data since up in the
    air you mostly dont have a data connection. the desire wasn't really accurate
    in keeping the track. when i check my logfiles of the flights in a replay-software
    (igc-replay with google earth) the tracks often had strange curves and inaccurate
    for up to 300 feet once in a while.

- htc desire hd:
    satfix sometimes took forever, tracking was even less accurate.
    the desire hd lost the gps-signal every 2-3 minutes and sometimes
    i had to restart the device in the air to get one more satfix. totally useless
    phone for gps-accurate use!

- htc sensation:
    made a quite good job. satfix within 10 seconds, was keeping gps-signal for
    complete airtime, never lost the signal. track recording was accurate with tolerance
    of 30-60 feet (estimated). the sensation made a good job and was even comparable
    to onboard gps-devices. bigger errors during takeoff and landing, where the device
    showed some errors in vertical altitude. (replay starting lift too late or doesnt show
    the exact climb or descending rates)

- sgs3:
    satfix within 3 seconds (without agps data!). never lost gps-signal like the sensation.
    now the glonass support seems to come into the game: the device is able to record
    flight tracks with a tolerance (vertical and horizontal error) within a few feet. i would
    estimate 3-6 feet maybe. glonass is another gps system from russia and the sgs3
    (like the nexus and the note) is able to pick up those sat signals additionally to the one
    provided by pure gps alone. also the built in barometer (another fact why i bought this
    device!) is able to notice vertical altitude differences every 13 cm, thats about the screen
    size of the phone itself! takeoff and landing shows a really precise log within the replay
    software. also the phone is able to record loopings and parabolic flights.
    absolutely amazing phone when it comes to gps performance.
    also the sgs3 is the first phone in my hands that is able to have a satfix inside a building!

if you want an amazing gps-phone go get the sgs3.

greetings!
    06-10-2012 04:10 AM
    just uploaded a flight log comparison of the htc sensation and the sgs3 here:

Index of /axel/igc-logs

for viewing these gps-logs you need the following software (free):
    IGC Flight Replay

greetings.
    06-10-2012 05:08 AM
    glonass is another gps system from russia and the sgs3
    (like the nexus and the note) is able to pick up those sat signals additionally to the one
    provided by pure gps alone
    AFAIK, the Nexus can't and only the International Note can.
    That was one of the deciding factors against getting a nexus for me :-P
    06-10-2012 12:06 PM
    Uh, no. With people/human behavior, past performance is a pretty good indicator of future performance. With hardware generations, this really isn't the case. Either this new chipset and radio layout and design has a problem, or it doesn't. no real relation to previous designs that don't use the same exact components in the same exact layout.

ADS
    the gps in the galaxy s3 is frickin awesome.

the problems of the galaxy s1 were not really samsungs fault. indeed it was googles fault, because when google found out that the soon to be sold "galaxy s" would have a different "a-gps" method from a competitor and not the one google preferred, they made samsung deactivate the "a-gps" which was in place in the roms thus leading to bad gps performance (since it was only deactivated as quick fix and there was no time to properly put in a replacement for that a-gps mechanism)
    06-10-2012 05:43 PM
    Here's an issue I'm having...and its driving me nuts....

Samsung Galaxy S3 (second one) with AT&T ....I work in Hoffman Estates, IL. When I arrive at work, my GPS says I'm in Rubidoux, CA.

I am not connected to WIFI and I have Locations Services set to GPS as well as Location and Google search (I have tried them individually as well).

If I go to the top of our building (2nd floor) and go outside on the deck - it "might" change to Hoffman...but if I'm standing in the parking lot - I'm in Rubidoux.

While at work, applications that are location driven don't work because it thinks I'm in CA.

Any ideas ...

This is the second phone doing the same thing. I have reformatted to factory specs and not loaded any apps just to see if the problem still occurs. It does.

Is it AT&T or Samsung?
    07-24-2012 02:14 PM
    NO issues at all. In fact, it gets a GPS signal faster than any phone I've and my garmin GPS! Very accurate. The iphone 4s also had great gps but this is even better.
    07-24-2012 02:52 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD