08-27-2012 09:18 PM
56 123
tools
    I use RunKeeper to track my training. It uses the GPS and outside the first time took my normal route I was amazed at how accurate it was. Definitely within 20 feet. Definitely never tells me I am in Rubidoux, CA (I actually have been there many times when I lived in the Riverside area).

Mike
    07-24-2012 04:27 PM
    Sounds like you have a dud phone. My GPS is spot always on, even indoors.
    07-24-2012 10:35 PM
    I have been experiencing some GPS issues on the Galaxy S3, but only in 3rd party apps. Google Maps and Navigation always works great. But I use Untappd, Foursquare and even a Car Dock app that uses the GPS to get my location for recommendations.... and this sometimes does not work at all. It just keeps "locating" without any luck. I check the GPS - it's on, my maps work, so I'm not sure why this is a problem in several apps (although I know Untappd and Foursquare are linked).

When I restart my phone, everything works great again. Just an annoying quirk more than anything, but I'm wondering if any other S3 owners are having a similar problem with location-awareness apps.
    08-02-2012 01:50 PM
    @Effington - download the free app GPS Status from the play store. It has GPS assistance data that it downloads and is supposed to help better place your position and achieve quicker lock. It also has tools to recalibrate the GPS, something I've always found I had to do somewhat often on all my GPS phones - last one was a Droid 2 but it had a recalibration tool built in, though what a pain that one was. I didn't see one in the S3 so I searched online and found that app recommended and it has helped tremendously. My GPS is as accurate as can be. Worth a shot to see if it helps your issue, oh... and it doesn't need to be launched and kept running with each reboot.

Rev.
    08-02-2012 02:15 PM
    I have a weird issue with the GPS of the Galaxy SIII also. the accuweather that comes with the phone seems to think i live in New Jersey (i live in IL). i have installed 2 other weather apps and both do the same.

When i fire up google maps at least it says i live in IL. but it puts my location about 1.4 miles to the west. not very great since i travel a lot (daughter is on a gymnastics team that travels a lot during the year).

i have adjusted all the settings. finally found a post somewhere that suggested i get a app called GPS Status. that seemed to help for about an hour..

My D2's GPS was rock solid. sad to see the Galaxy having issues. otherwise the phone is great.
    08-26-2012 05:08 PM
    YES, unfortunately. On 3rd party apps, the gps works just fine. The weather app/widget the phone comes with... not so much. I just deleted the widget and downloaded Beautiful Weather. That works fine. On my lockscreen, it shows me weather info and it never updates. It has a city in NJ on it and I'm hardly there... or even in NJ. I can't find a way to manually update it either. Ugh.
    08-27-2012 09:18 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD