Gps issues?

vertcobra99

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know if the new galaxy s3 is suffering from gps issues? I want the phone but I had a lot if issues with my epic 4g. Are the radios any better as well?

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Never had a problem with the ATT SGSII or the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-i727 on ATT LTE.
Works as well as my wifes TomTom XL.

Don't think it's an issue.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-i727 on ATT LTE

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
It's a Samsung phone. There will be issues with reception on something. If not GPS, Wifi, 3g, or something else.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm not so pessimistic. Maybe that is because I am happy about these issues on my Skyrocket.
As a matter of fact, I had to use a 3gs the other day- absolutely horrible compared to my Skyrocket.
I am comparing reception in the same location.

Geikamir

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any of the issues the some of you are mentioning. I have the Fascinate. Maybe I got a lucky one or something.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Mt SGII always worked like a champ from day 1 on all signals. This kind of attitude up front sucks. Why even bother buying something you're so convinced will fail or do you simply exist to complain just so you can make yourself miserable?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I think gps will be fine as it was fine on my nexus. I also think that since it is using integrated s4 chip that they may have used different radios than previous.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Lol dude is asking about GS3 and everyone is talking about their GS2 and GS1 Lol... No help.

He specifically mentions problems with his First gen Galaxy phone as the basis for concern. You don't think peoples experience with sGSII is pertinent? Since it seems the GPS issue was resolved in the SGSII, I would say that information IS helpful.

I would also assume he is wondering about NA versions, which have not been released. The international version has been reviewed and I have not seen any issues mention in this regard.
See the thread posted by Alex. I believe he covered this as well.
Lol

Spartoi

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
It's a Samsung phone. There will be issues with reception on something. If not GPS, Wifi, 3g, or something else.

Only my SGS had GPS issues. My Infuse, SGS2s, and Note's radios all worked fine. Samsung fixed whatever the issue was on the original SGS sometime ago.

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
The GPS in my GNex is nothing to write home about. Terribly slow and with apps like Tracks, not the most accurate. Hopefully the GS3's GPS is improved.

sparkeater79

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Mt SGII always worked like a champ from day 1 on all signals. This kind of attitude up front sucks. Why even bother buying something you're so convinced will fail or do you simply exist to complain just so you can make yourself miserable?
the GPS problem with the Epic 4g touch is a real concern. the op wants to know if this is still going to be a problem. Why should he think the problem is fixed without any evidence it has been fixed. the phone Is a wonderful phone (for the most part) other than the weak GPS reception.
To the op, if you must find out for yourself, just get the correct info regarding your trial period and test the heck out of it to find out for yourself.

Reactions: felipe66

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Uh, no. With people/human behavior, past performance is a pretty good indicator of future performance. With hardware generations, this really isn't the case. Either this new chipset and radio layout and design has a problem, or it doesn't. no real relation to previous designs that don't use the same exact components in the same exact layout.

ADS

He specifically mentions problems with his First gen Galaxy phone as the basis for concern. You don't think peoples experience with sGSII is pertinent? Since it seems the GPS issue was resolved in the SGSII, I would say that information IS helpful.

I would also assume he is wondering about NA versions, which have not been released. The international version has been reviewed and I have not seen any issues mention in this regard.
See the thread posted by Alex. I believe he covered this as well.
Lol

Kuro

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
It's a valid concern. I've never had much luck with Samsung phones and GPS. The last was the Droid Charge. I'd literally start driving in the general direction of my destination and hope to get a lock before I got too lost. Once I went 20 min without getting a GPS lock, though my Moto Xoom had a lock in <10 sec.

This concern is why I haven't pre ordered. My job has me driving all thru the city daily. Without Maps or Navigon, I can't do my job efficiently.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

wphend00

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The review tests I've seen show the GPS to be working great.

Reviews, almost ALWAYS universally say that the GPS works well...
I had the EPIC 4G and the EPIC 4G Touch... GPS is horrible in both.
HTC EVO 4G had the best GPS... snapped on, found satellites, and was ready to go, in Seconds... ALWAYS...

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Alex specifically mentions that his international works fine with gps and signal reception. He also points out that it has A-gps AND glonass support.

I understand the concern though. Read some of the issues the 4g touch had with gps. Sounds like a real problem. I was not intending to discount the question.

As someone pointed out, get the phone and try it for yourself. That is the best advice. Return if needed ( although I hope it is NOT needed!)

Night Train

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
HTC EVO 4G had the best GPS... snapped on, found satellites, and was ready to go, in Seconds... ALWAYS...
Exactly.

My Epic 4G is a great phone EXCEPT for the crappy, unreliable GPS reception. Not only does it BARELY SOMETIMES get a signal, when it does, it's wildly inaccurate. When it does get a signal, it soon loses it. Seems like it's always Searching for Signal.

My carrier pigeon is more reliable at finding directions than my Galaxy SII.

Vvinny

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

I never saw a review for the Galaxy S (Fascinate, Vibrant,etc....) that ever said the GPS was anything but sub par. It was a known hardware issue. I am actually one of those people that stopped off at a GS4G before going to a SGS 2, and finally a Google unlocked G-Nex. Funny thing was I thought my GPS was always decent until I got the next device...lol. The reality is there are some of us who will be fine with a unit taking a minute or even 2 to lock, and another person who will absolutely be driven crazy if the lock isn't instant. Some will be happy coming within a block of a destination, while some will be pissed if it doesn't take them to the front door and notify them that "you have arrived!" So when someone says my Fascinate worked great, and another says my SGS2 sucked...it's really all relative to individual use, tastes, requirements...the list really goes on and on.

Reactions: mostlyharmlessnj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463