06-12-2012 01:28 PM
56 123
tools
    These videos make me so glad to have returned my Evo LTE and pre-ordered the S3!
    06-10-2012 06:05 AM
    I like how she did a handful of real use scenarios of the screens. Very nice comparison.

Reviews like this are great....and should remind everyone....every phone, screen has pros n cons.

I'm on Verizon...so I was already leaning towards the GS3.
    06-10-2012 07:29 AM
    The HOX has a smaller screen to begin with and the menu keys take up screen real estate whereas the GS3 appears to use the capacitive key and seems better organized and intuitive.
    Actually, the difference between a 4.7" and 4.8" screen is negligible. You can't even see the the difference when they are side by side. Samsung obviously wanted to top HTC in specs, so they made the GSIII display 1/10" larger; however there is no real benefit to that extra 1/10" (4.7" is already almost too big).

Regarding android keys, actually the One X keys are laid out the way Android Ice Cream Sandwich is meant to be: Back Key. Home Key, and App Switcher Key (just like on the Galaxy Nexus) However, the SGIII has a menu key, which is unnecessary,but there is no app switcher key (one of the main features of ICS).

Whether one prefers soft keys or capacitive keys is just a matter of choice (Personally I don't care either way), but the GSIII layout of the android keys goes against the design of ICS.
    kkapoorr likes this.
    06-10-2012 08:11 AM
    Actually, the difference between a 4.7" and 4.8" screen is negligible. You can't even see the the difference when they are side by side. Samsung obviously wanted to top HTC in specs, so they made the GSIII display 1/10" larger; however there is no real benefit to that extra 1/10" (4.7" is already almost too big).

Regarding android keys, actually the One X keys are laid out the way Android Ice Cream Sandwich is meant to be: Back Key. Home Key, and App Switcher Key (just like on the Galaxy Nexus) However, the SGIII has a menu key, which is unnecessary,but there is no app switcher key (one of the main features of ICS).

Whether one prefers soft keys or capacitive keys is just a matter of choice (Personally I don't care either way), but the GSIII layout of the android keys goes against the design of ICS.
    I highly doubt Samsung tooled up, piloted and started mass production of this screen all within the span of the 2 or 3 weeks since HTC announced the X. Me thinks both companies had the specs laid out internally for quite some time before knowing what the other was going to do.

As for sticking to ICS buttons, personally I would rather have the dedicated menu key instead of an app switcher key. I'm glad Samsung chose that route.

-Suntan
    06-10-2012 08:43 AM
    I'd think neither are going the way Google intended for ICS since neither use on-screen buttons. And why would samsung want to have a redundant app switching button when long pressing on the home key does the same thing. Can't really say the menu button isn't needed since there's still a lot of legacy apps that aren't 100% ICS friendly and until Google standardizes the integrated menu button location, I'd rather have a permanent softkey.
    06-10-2012 08:45 AM
    I'd think neither are going the way Google intended for ICS since neither use on-screen buttons. And why would samsung want to have a redundant app switching button when long pressing on the home key does the same thing. Can't really say the menu button isn't needed since there's still a lot of legacy apps that aren't 100% ICS friendly and until Google standardizes the integrated menu button location, I'd rather have a permanent softkey.
    Not to get too far ot, but personally I am glad to see most phones keep the dedicated buttons instead of switching to on-screen buttons. On tablets the on-screen buttons make sense. On a phone I feel they just eat too much space, especially when in landscape.

-Suntan
    06-10-2012 08:53 AM

I may have miis-spoken and may not remember from my in-store HOX experience but I was referring to the icon dock just above the capacitive keys.
    06-10-2012 09:38 AM
    I may have miis-spoken and may not remember from my in-store HOX experience but I was referring to the icon dock just above the capacitive keys.
    I also believe IMO that the capacitive keys arrangement and screen arrangement are more efficient and intuitive on the GS3.
    06-10-2012 09:43 AM
    Not having a menu key on the EVO LTE sucked and the fact that many apps took up screen real estate to have one of their own thereby decreasing screen size kinda defeats the purpose of having a larger screen.
    06-10-2012 09:48 AM
    She was pretty hot. Oh, and nice review also.
    20blks likes this.
    06-10-2012 11:40 PM
    She did an awesome job comparing the two. Of course, my dirty mind sometimes went to other places lol.

PS. The water unlock on the S3 is really annoying, I would have to change that
    06-11-2012 12:21 AM
    Awesome review from a beautiful, classy and sexy lady! I think I'm in love!
    06-11-2012 12:57 AM
    I highly doubt Samsung tooled up, piloted and started mass production of this screen all within the span of the 2 or 3 weeks since HTC announced the X. Me thinks both companies had the specs laid out internally for quite some time before knowing what the other was going to do.

As for sticking to ICS buttons, personally I would rather have the dedicated menu key instead of an app switcher key. I'm glad Samsung chose that route.

-Suntan
    Actually, the HTC One X was first introduced at World Mobile Congress back in January. This would give Samsung or any company enough time to modify the screen size for a handset released in June.

Menu key: Most apps have menu tabs anyway so the menu key really isn't necessary. I'd rather see the thumbnails of all screens when tapping and holding the home key.

Anyway: Both the HTC One X and SGIII are obviously beasts and the best 2 phones available now.

HTC wins in terms of Design and display.
    SGIII wins in terms of expandable memory and slightly higher specs (except for the display, which HTC is clearly the winner).

Camera is a toss up: Both have some advantages over the other.
    06-11-2012 08:25 AM
    Actually, the HTC One X was first introduced at World Mobile Congress back in January. This would give Samsung or any company enough time to modify the screen size for a handset released in June.
    I don't think you realize how long it takes to manufacture things in high quantity.

Less than 5 months to go from reaction to a competitor to evaluating the market impact to approving the spec change (assuming they were planning something smaller/different) to locking final specs, to prepping manufacturing capability of the new display to procuring engineering samples to testing and validation to pilot build then to production ramp up to production of millions of screens ready for final assembly....

Development of injection mold tooling like the tools needed just to produce the phone housing can often take up to 16 weeks alone, depending on the complexity of the tool. Any change to screen size would likely affect that.

The size of the GSIII screen was almost definitely set at 4.8" prior to the Galaxy Nexus being released.

-Suntan
    06-11-2012 09:18 AM
    I don't think you realize how long it takes to manufacture things in high quantity.

Less than 5 months to go from reaction to a competitor to evaluating the market impact to approving the spec change (assuming they were planning something smaller/different) to locking final specs, to prepping manufacturing capability of the new display to procuring engineering samples to testing and validation to pilot build then to production ramp up to production of millions of screens ready for final assembly....

Development of injection mold tooling like the tools needed just to produce the phone housing can often take up to 16 weeks alone, depending on the complexity of the tool. Any change to screen size would likely affect that.

The size of the GSIII screen was almost definitely set at 4.8" prior to the Galaxy Nexus being released.

-Suntan
    Perhaps. It's really just speculation whether they were influenced by HTC or not. It really doesn't matter because there is virtually no difference between a 4.7 and 4.8" display in terms of user experience.

Most reviewers concede (even the reviewers who prefer the GSIII overall) that the HTC One display is second to none.
    06-11-2012 01:06 PM
    Great review and I like her style, but man was it painful watching how folders are created with the new TouchWiz interface
    06-11-2012 05:23 PM

Most reviewers concede (even the reviewers who prefer the GSIII overall) that the HTC One display is second to none.
    I don't think you'll get anyone around here claiming otherwise. But as it seems you feel the need for other people to go out of their way to validate the phone you have, then yes. The HTC probably does have a better screen.

Happy?

-Suntan
    06-11-2012 05:46 PM

IF...IF...what she showed in her clips holds true....it isnt 2nd to none in all areas. I saw some areas where the GS3 screen looked better.

Thats the point some ppl just dont seem to get...everything....everything ....has pros n cons....

Everything. And things really do look different in person. I was kinda worried about Pentile...just listening to forum talk and seeing all those zoomed in pics. In person.....I really dont see whats the big deal. Its actually a non issues in every day use, real world use. The over saturation included.

Some ppl, reviewers said the same thing about the Rezound screen. I can say as unbiased as I can....I dont see whats so great about the Rezound screen overall....compared to my RAZR's screen..overall. I like my RAZR screen alot more. Thats also Pentile vs. non Pentile...
    06-11-2012 06:12 PM
    Great review and I like her style, but man was it painful watching how folders are created with the new TouchWiz interface
    100% agree. I was so turned off by that, I began having 2nd thoughts. But then quickly came to my senses after telling myself that you create folders once and are done with it. If it was something you do over and over, I would be annoyed.

HTC Rezound running Scott's CleanROM
    06-11-2012 06:34 PM
    Definitely a huge step backwards. I don't even use folders and it makes my brain hurt. Not sure what their designers were thinking.
    06-11-2012 06:41 PM
    Definitely a huge step backwards. I don't even use folders and it makes my brain hurt. Not sure what their designers were thinking.
    I can't quickly find a reference to it (so don't take it as truth), but I believe that Apple has a patent on automatically creating folders by dragging one icon onto another. It likely wasn't a design choice.
    06-11-2012 06:49 PM
    100% agree. I was so turned off by that, I began having 2nd thoughts. But then quickly came to my senses after telling myself that you create folders once and are done with it. If it was something you do over and over, I would be annoyed.

HTC Rezound running Scott's CleanROM
    Meh. I've been using Folder Organizer for so long I don't even know how to make a folder on my current phone or tablet.

-Suntan
    06-11-2012 07:08 PM
    One of the big websites need to pick her up. She is a very good reviewer and easy on the eyes.
    06-11-2012 07:35 PM
    I don't think you'll get anyone around here claiming otherwise. But as it seems you feel the need for other people to go out of their way to validate the phone you have, then yes. The HTC probably does have a better screen.

Happy?

-Suntan
    This purpose of this thread is comparing two flagship Android phones. I don't need to validate which phone I prefer, but people are expressing their opinions about these phones.

There is no need to make snide or personal comments about it.
    06-11-2012 11:28 PM
    Good review. I've been partial to the HTC because of the screen... But if the quality of the screen on the S3 is better than the Nexus and is better on signal strength, I might have to get it. I much prefer Wolfson to Beats.

More waiting.....
    06-12-2012 12:04 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD