Samsung Galaxy S3: Connectivity demo-USB OTG, MHL, BT keyboard

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S3: Connectivity demo-USB OTG, MHL, BT keyboar

That's pretty sweet.... If lengthy.

One thing that wasn't completely clear, can a person plug a USB hub into the MHL adapter and maintain USB host capability to a lot of peripherals *and* have the video output to the TV?

-Suntan

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site

That's pretty sweet.... If lengthy.

One thing that wasn't completely clear, can a person plug a USB hub into the MHL adapter and maintain USB host capability to a lot of peripherals *and* have the video output to the TV?

-Suntan

Unfortunately no. The way MHL works is its an either or proposition.

Depending on what cable is plugged in directly to the phone, the micro-usb port is either switched to the USB circuitry or the video mirroring circuitry. This is determined by the impedance of the cable that is hooked up to the phone.

Geikamir

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Awesome video, thanks for the link.

Do Wii motion games work in this setup?

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Unfortunately no. The way MHL works is its an either or proposition.

Depending on what cable is plugged in directly to the phone, the micro-usb port is either switched to the USB circuitry or the video mirroring circuitry. This is determined by the impedance of the cable that is hooked up to the phone.

Well that stinks. I would think most people would want all that extra hookup support when they are actually at a larger screen.

If I had to find one fault with the GSIII, it would be the MHL connector. I would much rather have the separate HDMI and USB connectors like on Moto phones.

-Suntan

NZtechfreak

May 24, 2011
Visit site

Always interesting Goog'ling for my own videos and seeing where they show up! :)

Indeed the mutually exclusive nature of USB OTG and MHL connections is a pain, hopefully they can address that in the next revision of the MHL spec.

Worth mentioning though that you could use USB OTG and display stuff on an HDTV using Samsung's AllShare Cast dongle, although I expect latency might ruin that for gaming.

Finally, I do also use a Seagate GoFlex Satellite 500GB drive with my S3 and MHL, as the satellite is able to stream (and has it's own power supply for maximum portability).

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Always interesting Goog'ling for my own videos and seeing where they show up! :)

Indeed the mutually exclusive nature of USB OTG and MHL connections is a pain, hopefully they can address that in the next revision of the MHL spec.

Worth mentioning though that you could use USB OTG and display stuff on an HDTV using Samsung's AllShare Cast dongle, although I expect latency might ruin that for gaming.

Finally, I do also use a Seagate GoFlex Satellite 500GB drive with my S3 and MHL, as the satellite is able to stream (and has it's own power supply for maximum portability).

Thanks for the informative video. I hope you stick around here. This forum is more active than the blue forum.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

You say lengthy, I say thorough :)

No. No... I enjoy watching a couple of laps of mario kart as much as the next guy... :p

I may have to get one of those classic wii controllers. I have the DSIII controller and app, but I don't usually like to root my phone right off the bat. Yet I want the ability to plug into a bigger TV.

-Suntan

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

You don't need root for anything in the video :)

Yeah, I got that.

But if I wanted to use my DSIII controller *and* plug the phone into the TV, I'd need to run the controller wirelessly via the sixaxis controller app, correct? The GSIII doesn't natively recognize the DSIII controller via BT does it?

-Suntan

NZtechfreak

May 24, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I got that.

But if I wanted to use my DSIII controller *and* plug the phone into the TV, I'd need to run the controller wirelessly via the sixaxis controller app, correct? The GSIII doesn't natively recognize the DSIII controller via BT does it?

-Suntan

Ah, sorry, you mean PS3 controller? Yes, Root and Sixaxis required for that (it is awesome though, been playing Nova 3 with that setup on HDTV and wirelessly controlling with PS3 controller).

Reactions: BostonBeats88

NZtechfreak

May 24, 2011
Visit site

MHL Micro USB To HDMI Cable Adapter For Samsung AT&T Galaxy S3 i747 /Galaxy Note | eBay

MHL Micro USB to HDTV Adapter HDMI Cable for Samsung Galaxy S2 S3 i9220 i997 G14 | eBay

These MHL adapter are listed as being compatible with the S3. Can anyone here confirm them as being legit or should i just assume they're fake?

They may not be fakes, but they won't work with the S3. Those are the older ones that work with the S2/Note/everything else ever made with MHL, Samsung changed the pin arrangement in the S3 so they no longer work (grrr). Lots of honest sellers are listing them as compatible since they anticipated they would be, seeing as how MHL is meant to be a connection standard. Check the specific S3 one at Clove.co.uk and grab the model number and search for that (also check how it looks, since the appearance of the adapter is different also).

Reactions: jrob214

mpmtkd

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

They may not be fakes, but they won't work with the S3. Those are the older ones that work with the S2/Note/everything else ever made with MHL, Samsung changed the pin arrangement in the S3 so they no longer work (grrr). Lots of honest sellers are listing them as compatible since they anticipated they would be, seeing as how MHL is meant to be a connection standard. Check the specific S3 one at Clove.co.uk and grab the model number and search for that (also check how it looks, since the appearance of the adapter is different also).

Damn.. Hopefully the 10 dollar MHL adapters will work that I ordered..

Question - Is it possible to connect 2 controllers via BT like the retro wireless wii controllers and use them for multiplayer? (same goes for PS3 controller or using a hub)

Thanks

ellsswhere

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Does Sixaxis Controller support the S3 yet? I have been trying to work out a portable N64 system since my Evo 4G days.:confused:

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site

Has USB OTG been confirmed anywhere for the US? I remember watching NZTechFreak's SII video regarding connectivity (his videos are fantastic, as is his site), only to discover that my Epic Touch couldn't use it... :'(

NZtechfreak

May 24, 2011
Visit site

Demo and guide for using Sixaxis controller with the S3:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gq_ZU9p5Nk[/YT]

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund