06-16-2012 12:44 PM
57 123
tools
    the Cortex A9 chip is not new, it has been out for a long time now. it does not qualify as today's tech anymore. it's like the chip in the iphone 4S. sure, phones are still being made with it, but it is universally agreed that it is no longer top spec.

then again, it wasn't top spec when it was new either lol.

personally, i just see the new exynos chipset as a stopgap before the next major generational jump.

this is truly the tech of tomorrow!

the new chips are just the mailman turning the corner.
    06-14-2012 05:03 AM
    You're not wrong at all however for some people mainly those with Verizon The S3 is the best phone to get if you are able to upgrade now at a discount and keep your unlimited data plan.
    06-14-2012 08:01 AM
    i completely agree. it's very sad how the phone market has become for tech-folk. we're all standing around grasping to our unlimited data plans like it's the ring of power from the lord of the rings.

i am on at&t. i wish that i could change to verizon, but i know that i'd have to leave my unlimited data plan, and that ain't happenin...
    06-14-2012 08:23 AM
    If you're coming from iOS, Android's ICS is surely going to blow your mind.
    after having the gsm gnex since it cam out, I cant wait to go back to IOS
    06-14-2012 09:00 AM
    after having the gsm gnex since it cam out, I cant wait to go back to IOS
    why do you say that? what spurred the change back? i am making the switch now, and that is not encouraging news
    06-14-2012 09:14 AM
    I ordered 2 yesterday, kept my vzw unlimited data for 2 more years, not looking back... switching from my tbolt w/SkyRaider Zues (love my tbolt w/SRZ & rezound battery) & wife's rezound. I compared ALL of the phones that were available and the only one that came close to making me think about dropping my tbolt was the S2 but it wasnt enough for me to leave unlimited/VZW. Now with pre-order I wont have to. Still have msd storage and that important feature (to me) was where HTC failed to keep my business...
    06-14-2012 10:16 AM
    it really depends on what you've currently got, I've got two phones a galaxy S2 and a Rezound, both phones are far from out of date so I don't need anything new right away so I'm waiting to see what coming, if however I hadn't upgraded from my thunderbolt yet on verizon, I'd probably grab a S3 right away. Something newer and better is always down the road, you make the jump when your existing phone is felling a little too old for you and you feel the new features warrent an upgrade

Also if I had an upgrade on verizon I'd probably grab an S3 as I won't be getting any more upgrades from them, their new plans are horrible and I want to keep unlimited data, but that's a whole different issue.
    06-14-2012 10:35 AM
    it really depends on what you've currently got, I've got two phones a galaxy S2 and a Rezound, both phones are far from out of date so I don't need anything new right away so I'm waiting to see what coming, if however I hadn't upgraded from my thunderbolt yet on verizon, I'd probably grab a S3 right away. Something newer and better is always down the road, you make the jump when your existing phone is felling a little too old for you and you feel the new features warrent an upgrade

Also if I had an upgrade on verizon I'd probably grab an S3 as I won't be getting any more upgrades from them, their new plans are horrible and I want to keep unlimited data, but that's a whole different issue.
    agreed. if i was on verizon, i would make the jump without a second thought.

i am just scared that at&t is going to take a page from verizon's playbook, and do the same. then, i really will have to kick up some dirt!
    06-14-2012 11:37 AM

i will miss the music player though. i haven't found one for android that is as robust as itunes.

sorry, i just don't buy google music as an equal when it comes to options, playlists, and overall media capabilities.
    To each their own, but don't get me started on iTunes. I am a little bitter when it decided to delete all of the 3,200 song on my iPod touch when I upgraded iOS. I backup it up (twice) and transferred all purchases (twice). The stupid program still deleted all of my music that I spent many hours tagging and adding album art to.
    06-14-2012 01:09 PM
    It all depends on your carrier. If I don't upgrade now then I will lose my unlimited data with Verizon. The choice has been made, I have to upgrade now and out of the choices available, I chose the S3.

I might not get another phone for years....
    06-14-2012 01:14 PM
    To each their own, but don't get me started on iTunes. I am a little bitter when it decided to delete all of the 3,200 song on my iPod touch when I upgraded iOS. I backup it up (twice) and transferred all purchases (twice). The stupid program still deleted all of my music that I spent many hours tagging and adding album art to.
    if you backed up your ipod/iphone on your computer before you synced and updated, then you should have lost nothing. it should all be stored on your comp. if you did lose your files, then i am sorry. there were options.

maybe my experience just varies from yours. it's also worth noting that i am coming from a background that has years of jailbreaking experience in it.

there are ways around apple's walls.
    06-14-2012 01:38 PM
    IIRC, the Galaxy S3 (and HTC one x) uses A15 architecture, which is what reportedly makes it superior to all other dual core, and some quad core devices.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums
    That's not correct. S4 may be loosely based on A15, not sure. It's not the actual thing though. The S3 quadcore is A9.
    06-14-2012 02:11 PM
    If you let things like that get to you, you'll never buy a phone. There's always something new around the corner. Just get the SIII now and get another phone when the next "latest and greatest" comes out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
    Its true! This is the exact reason why I stilly use a launch date Palm Pre a year and a half after I got my upgrade.
    06-14-2012 03:58 PM
    That's not correct. S4 may be loosely based on A15, not sure. It's not the actual thing though. The S3 quadcore is A9.
    I am just going from what I have read on a few different sites, the S4 processor in the SGSIII, is based on A15 architecture but is not fully compatible. It is based on 28nm process and has many of the advantages of the A15, and is considered a leap in technology vs the A9, even the tegra 3 processor. I am not technically saavy enough to come up with this myself, just what I have read.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums
    06-14-2012 04:28 PM
    the S4 chip is based off of the same architecture as the A15, but it is not as big of a jump as the A15 will be. the real area where you'll see the difference, is the graphical processing. the S4 (while good), is still far behind the advantages of the new wave of chips.

am i the only one looking forward to quad core chips that are compatible with LTE radios? it's the best of both worlds
    06-14-2012 09:26 PM
    the S4 chip is based off of the same architecture as the A15, but it is not as big of a jump as the A15 will be. the real area where you'll see the difference, is the graphical processing. the S4 (while good), is still far behind the advantages of the new wave of chips.

am i the only one looking forward to quad core chips that are compatible with LTE radios? it's the best of both worlds
    Trying not to look forward to it, since it will be 2 years until I get one. Probably longer than that actually, since I will probably have to pay full price to keep my unlimited data by then, if its even available...
    06-14-2012 09:35 PM
    ouch. yeah. i am paying full price for my GSIII. my contact isn't up until the end of the year, and i'd rather spend that update to get the latest and greatest of next year, than spend the money to upgrade early just for the GSIII. it's a great phone, but not that great lol.

besides, maybe the iphone5 will shock everyone and actually innovate instead of imitate :P
    06-14-2012 11:45 PM
    Surprised no one has mentioned it yet, there are rumors that Google will release (or announce) multiple Nexus devices (3 phones, 2 tablets) on Nov 5. One of them is sur eto be Samsung, and is also pretty much sure to inlcude an HD AMOLED+ display as well as the Exynos 5520
    Do you know if the next Google Nexus will be available on contact for AT&T? I can't justify paying more than $200 for any smartphone and I usually keep them for over 2 years, so it only makes sense for me to buy a carrier subsidized phone.
    06-15-2012 01:07 AM
    Do you know if the next Google Nexus will be available on contact for AT&T? I can't justify paying more than $200 for any smartphone and I usually keep them for over 2 years, so it only makes sense for me to buy a carrier subsidized phone.
    Same here, I also buy subsidized phones. Although it would be cheaper to use a prepaid plan + off contract phone, esp when you factor in buying a used phone or selling it for cheap.

I'm sure the next Nexus phones will be available from carriers as well.
    06-15-2012 01:44 AM
    Right now the SIII is probably the best android phone available...if you have something like the Galaxy Nexus you can sit back and wait a while and see what is coming down the pipe. If i still had my Thunderbolt tho I would upgrade in a heartbeat. The Nexus's coming at the end of the year might not be a huge jump from the SIII anyway...the Galaxy Nexus was basically a variant of the SII last year and it very well could be the same this year. It really depends if they decide to release Nexus's with tried and true tech that is optimized to showcase the new Android OS or they decide to push the limits of available tech...my guess they will take the Galaxy Nexus approach again this year and nothing will be groundbreaking in this years Nexus roster.
    06-15-2012 03:41 AM
    LG Eclipse may be coming to Sprint and AT&T by Halloween -- Engadget

Big surprise: only a day after my "generational jump" post, this info comes out. Just like I've been suspecting, we will see quad-core Krait + Adreno 320 before the end of this year, and I'm also quite sure we will see dual-core cortex A15 Exynos + Mali T-604 (in tablets for sure, not sure if this combo will hit phones). So fall/winter of this year will finally bring in SoC combos that are finally generationally entirely ahead of 2011 phone tech. Just wanted to post this link as "proof" that the leap (vs. little steps) will take place in this year, and that that is at least one reason to pass on the GS3 or One X for a lot of people.
    soothslyr likes this.
    06-15-2012 05:00 AM
    LG Eclipse may be coming to Sprint and AT&T by Halloween -- Engadget

Big surprise: only a day after my "generational jump" post, this info comes out. Just like I've been suspecting, we will see quad-core Krait + Adreno 320 before the end of this year, and I'm also quite sure we will see dual-core cortex A15 Exynos + Mali T-604 (in tablets for sure, not sure if this combo will hit phones). So fall/winter of this year will finally bring in SoC combos that are finally generationally entirely ahead of 2011 phone tech. Just wanted to post this link as "proof" that the leap (vs. little steps) will take place in this year, and that that is at least one reason to pass on the GS3 or One X for a lot of people.
    couldn't agree more. for those with the patience of saints, there's phones with stellar specs on the horizon, and they're coming sooner than people think.

oddly enough, android tablets hold little-to-no interest for for me at all. apple just has their feet planted far too solidly in that community. android may have the most powerful tablets, but it means nothing if no developers jump on board, and bring exclusive titles to them. until that happens, andriod tablets will continue to be an afterthought in the market, although they're packing far better specs.

as for the Eclipse, i don't have the patience to wait. no self control i suppose :P
    06-15-2012 05:53 AM
    I'm not a fan of LG and until they prove they will support their products both through updates and if something goes wrong with the phone ill stay away. Not releasing drivers and not updating the phones makes them a no go for me ATM.
    06-15-2012 07:22 AM
    I upgrade at least once a year, so I will get the "upgraded" SGSIV next year as well. Do not believe most people hold onto phones long enoughto have serious "buyers remorse".
    Those who do already have 2 year old phones with last Gen tech now, right?
    Surely they would like to upgrade to the best now, one of the best in the fall, very good phone over the winter, and good enough next year phone.

Just don't think phones released in December will be light years ahead of the galaxy s3.
    06-15-2012 04:01 PM
    i am a heavy jailbereaker, so not that much lol.

i will miss the music player though. i haven't found one for android that is as robust as itunes.

sorry, i just don't buy google music as an equal when it comes to options, playlists, and overall media capabilities.
    When I came from IOS I thought the same thing about the streaming music thing, now I absolutely prefer it, I get songs for free, or cheaper on amazon mp3 or on google music ...its really really great trust me. Your no longer in a jail cell...every codec works.

With google music I stream on my computer, the same exact profile on my phone like IOS only more options to create and delete what you want on your mobile device.
    06-15-2012 04:34 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD