SIII Today, or Greener Pastures Tomorrow?

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
i was all psyched to get a Galaxy SIII in 2 weeks when it launches in the US, but then I stumbled upon this article:

ARM Cortex A9 vs ARM Cortex A15 - What to expect, and what's the difference?

and it got me to thinking. we're all drooling over the HOX and the SIII, but Cortex A15 chips are said to be released "this fall", and "near the end of the year", so this brings me to the question...

is it really worth going gaga over a phone that is essentially using the best of yesterday's technology?

P.S. - i am basing this on the universally agreed view that Cortex A15 and Exynos 5250 chips will blow the current ones out of the water, both graphically, and capility-wise.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
If you let things like that get to you, you'll never buy a phone. There's always something new around the corner. Just get the SIII now and get another phone when the next "latest and greatest" comes out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: SM496 and poopie35

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
And also cooler, with lower power/better battery. But I needed a phone now, so I got the GNex. You could upgrade now, and eBay the phone in six months or so...

Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
that's what i am thinking. i just don't want to settle for pretty girl at the ball, right before the supermodel walks in lol.

i am coming from iOS, so i guess any superphone will blow my mind :D

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
IIRC, the Galaxy S3 (and HTC one x) uses A15 architecture, which is what reportedly makes it superior to all other dual core, and some quad core devices.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
i am a heavy jailbereaker, so not that much lol.

i will miss the music player though. i haven't found one for android that is as robust as itunes.

sorry, i just don't buy google music as an equal when it comes to options, playlists, and overall media capabilities. :(

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
It is not the best of yesterday's tech, it's out now. You are talking about the best of tomorrow's tech. Always will be better tech tomorrow.
At the end of the year, why not wait for next years 20 nm based Exynos?

FlatTopFoley

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
i am a heavy jailbereaker, so not that much lol.

i will miss the music player though. i haven't found one for android that is as robust as itunes.

sorry, i just don't buy google music as an equal when it comes to options, playlists, and overall media capabilities. :(

At the same time, I don't know of a music program that pisses me off more than iTunes. I started it up today on my desktop, BAM blue screen of dead informing me of a memory dump. fabulous.

Not bashing iTunes, cause when it works it works great, but still. I regret having to open it on my PC.

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
my only regret with itunes, is how resource intensive it is, but then again, i could say that of most of apple's software. safari is nearly useless on almost any non-apple computer.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
With the exception of Tegra optimized games, no app will be released in the next 2 years that either variant of GSIII won't be able to handle.

If your not happy with the form factor or size or something like that, it might make sense to wait. If your just holding off because you are fretting about more power, your wasting your time waiting for benchmark scores.

-Suntan

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
my only regret with itunes, is how resource intensive it is, but then again, i could say that of most of apple's software. safari is nearly useless on almost any non-apple computer.

Are we talking about phones here or computer programs?

BTW, iTunes on the computer is junk. J. River Media Center is what iTunes could have been if apple listened to their customers instead of constantly telling them what they should want.

-Suntan

zack7687

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
This type of thinking made me not upgrade my phone until now. I'm glad I waited for the S3, but my phones screen is smashed and needed a new one 6 months ago. I preordered my S3 today and CANNOT wait until it gets here. Your only hope in a phone coming out soon that could possibly be better than the S3, is the Razr HD and who knows when that will be announced, much less released. Get the S3 now and enjoy a new phone now, not in 7 months.

Part of me is glad that verizon changed their plans so I had to order the S3, but the other part of me wants to drop kick them in the neck. :mad:

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Are we talking about phones here or computer programs?

BTW, iTunes on the computer is junk. J. River Media Center is what iTunes could have been if apple listened to their customers instead of constantly telling them what they should want.

-Suntan

not quite junk, just a very walled garden. J. River Media Center seems super powerful, just not quite as polished. if it had the backing of a company as robust as apple, it might kick them in the ass.

personally, i think they need it at this point

/end rant

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
This type of thinking made me not upgrade my phone until now. I'm glad I waited for the S3, but my phones screen is smashed and needed a new one 6 months ago. I preordered my S3 today and CANNOT wait until it gets here. Your only hope in a phone coming out soon that could possibly be better than the S3, is the Razr HD and who knows when that will be announced, much less released. Get the S3 now and enjoy a new phone now, not in 7 months.

Part of me is glad that verizon changed their plans so I had to order the S3, but the other part of me wants to drop kick them in the neck. :mad:

i will wait patiently after to dropkick them right after you do. i am on at&t, and i see that what is happening is not consumer friendly.

i agree that wating is a double edged sword.

don't shoot me for saying this, but if android updates were handled the way that apple handled theirs (across the board, instead of incrementally), then the GSIII would be the perfect phone. i know the the providers are the bottlekneck, it just makes the experience of waiting for an *official update* a crappy one. look at the droid razr as proof. 6 months ago, it was top of the line, and is arguably STILL a flagship phone, and will see an update to ICS nearly when JB is coming. that's just sad.

perhaps i am just smitten with the promise of 2.5Ghz dual/quad core processors with 2+GB of ram being on the market in less than 6 months.

time to stop whining, and buy my GSIII though, i suppose lol.

cjsmoove

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

AND I seriously doubt the Razr HD will be better...I fell for that Bionic hype, and given Motos track record as of late you'll get 3 varaitons OF that phone...

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
unless motorola has an overhaul of their productline ala HTC, i can't see them keeping a dog in this fight.

the only device(s) in the near-ish future that can compete, is the iphone5 (maybe they surprise everyone, and actually innovate with it), or the next line of nexus devices

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Surprised no one has mentioned it yet, there are rumors that Google will release (or announce) multiple Nexus devices (3 phones, 2 tablets) on Nov 5. One of them is sur eto be Samsung, and is also pretty much sure to inlcude an HD AMOLED+ display as well as the Exynos 5520.

Anyway, the S4 in the current GS3 uses the A15 instruction set even though it can't be said to be a full A15 part. So its better than any other cpu today.

I doubt the new phones will be out till the holidays anyway.

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
IIRC, the Galaxy S3 (and HTC one x) uses A15 architecture, which is what reportedly makes it superior to all other dual core, and some quad core devices.

I should amend my post to say, I was speaking of the US version of the aforementioned phones...

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
i agree that the S4 chip is more efficient than most out there today. the point of the original post was to get some opinions if there's a point to getting a phone now, or just waiting 4 months, and getting one that blows the current ones out of the water.

we all know that in the android community, after 6 months, if a phone isn't superb quality, and super high tech, it gets left in the dust. don't believe me, look at the Razr, Rezound, Droid Charge, Atrix, Evo 3D... I can go on. Some of those aren't even a year old, and they're already left in the dust.

just trying to stave that off, like the SII has. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol