SIII Today, or Greener Pastures Tomorrow?

zack7687

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
i will wait patiently after to dropkick them right after you do. i am on at&t, and i see that what is happening is not consumer friendly.

i agree that wating is a double edged sword.

don't shoot me for saying this, but if android updates were handled the way that apple handled theirs (across the board, instead of incrementally), then the GSIII would be the perfect phone. i know the the providers are the bottlekneck, it just makes the experience of waiting for an *official update* a crappy one. look at the droid razr as proof. 6 months ago, it was top of the line, and is arguably STILL a flagship phone, and will see an update to ICS nearly when JB is coming. that's just sad.

perhaps i am just smitten with the promise of 2.5Ghz dual/quad core processors with 2+GB of ram being on the market in less than 6 months.

time to stop whining, and buy my GSIII though, i suppose lol.

Those specs might be avaialable for phones in 6 months, but how long until the manufacturers design phones for that hardware? HTC and Samsung have put their flagship devices out for the year (lets hope so....cough motorola cough), moto supposedly has the Razr HD up their sleeves, so who does that leave?

I think once you get the S3 you will be so happy you did and didn't wait any longer.

AND I seriously doubt the Razr HD will be better...I fell for that Bionic hype, and given Motos track record as of late you'll get 3 varaitons OF that phone...

The bionic was the phone I was waiting for, but motorola effed up that wet dream. I was so excited to order the phone and them delay after delay. It's going to take a heck of a phone from them to get me to buy one of their phones. I can see it now Razr HD, Razr HDH, Razr HDHD, Razr HDHDHDDDDDDD.

UCLA 15

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
The whole "there will always be something newer coming soon" argument is valid, but there are cases when I say it holds to less of a degree. An example of when it does not apply is when a phone is coming out with a cortex A9 processor more than a year after A9s were introduced on phones. Yes, clock speeds have been steadily rising that whole time, and benchmarks and performance has been improving, but these have been essentially modifications to the same base. A15 will be a new base and be a leap forward vs. little steps forward. That's why it makes sense when a A9 phone comes out (way after A9s were first released) to want to wait until the A15s hit, so that you can upgrade at a time when a great leap is made vs. upgrading at a time when only little steps are being made.

Now the GS3 with the S4 is kind of close to a leap, since the S4 is more advanced than cortex A9, but the thing that keeps it still just a little step is the GPU. Adreno 225 (and even the international's Mali) are both undeniably little steps forward vs. leaps. They are effectively mild improvements over 2011 GPUs, vs. Adreno 320 and the upcoming Mali which will be a new gen. The way I see it, I would MUCH rather make the decision to upgrade when a whole new generation of specs comes out than make the decision to upgrade at the end of a specs cycle. For those into cars, here's my analogy: the GS3 (and One X) are kind of like the last model year of a midcycle facelift. Compared to the initial release of the generation, the styling has been mildly updated, the HP and torque have been bumped (but they're still using the same fundamental engine, just tweaked for a bit more performance), some nice new features have been added to the interior, and things like the suspension and brakes have also been tweaked for performance. Still, it would be a bummer to get the last model year just before the next generation comes out, which is more than just an update.

Ultimately, it depends on where you are coming from, since if you're coming from a really old phone then the GS3 or One X may be a completely new gen to you. But if you're coming from a 2011 phone, you're essentially looking at the last evolution of your generation, which is why some people might want to wait until this fall/winter to see specs that so eclipse their phone as to warrant their designation as a completely new gen. That's where I'm at. Yes, the One X and GS3 are both better than my Sensation, but not "enough" for me. That's of course subjective, and I know the upgrade addicts probably don't agree, but there are also a lot of people like me out there.

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
The whole "there will always be something newer coming soon" argument is valid, but there are cases when I say it holds to less of a degree. An example of when it does not apply is when a phone is coming out with a cortex A9 processor more than a year after A9s were introduced on phones. Yes, clock speeds have been steadily rising that whole time, and benchmarks and performance has been improving, but these have been essentially modifications to the same base. A15 will be a new base and be a leap forward vs. little steps forward. That's why it makes sense when a A9 phone comes out (way after A9s were first released) to want to wait until the A15s hit, so that you can upgrade at a time when a great leap is made vs. upgrading at a time when only little steps are being made.

Now the GS3 with the S4 is kind of close to a leap, since the S4 is more advanced than cortex A9, but the thing that keeps it still just a little step is the GPU. Adreno 225 (and even the international's Mali) are both undeniably little steps forward vs. leaps. They are effectively mild improvements over 2011 GPUs, vs. Adreno 320 and the upcoming Mali which will be a new gen. The way I see it, I would MUCH rather make the decision to upgrade when a whole new generation of specs comes out than make the decision to upgrade at the end of a specs cycle. For those into cars, here's my analogy: the GS3 (and One X) are kind of like the last model year of a midcycle facelift. Compared to the initial release of the generation, the styling has been mildly updated, the HP and torque have been bumped (but they're still using the same fundamental engine, just tweaked for a bit more performance), some nice new features have been added to the interior, and things like the suspension and brakes have also been tweaked for performance. Still, it would be a bummer to get the last model year just before the next generation comes out, which is more than just an update.

Ultimately, it depends on where you are coming from, since if you're coming from a really old phone then the GS3 or One X may be a completely new gen to you. But if you're coming from a 2011 phone, you're essentially looking at the last evolution of your generation, which is why some people might want to wait until this fall/winter to see specs that so eclipse their phone as to warrant their designation as a completely new gen. That's where I'm at. Yes, the One X and GS3 are both better than my Sensation, but not "enough" for me. That's of course subjective, and I know the upgrade addicts probably don't agree, but there are also a lot of people like me out there.

i could not agree more. the A9 has lived it's lifecycle, and we're on the doorstep of the A15 which will be the dominant chipset for the next 2 years (A8's are not going to be ready until at least 2014). Why get the last gasp of yesterday's chipset. the phone is new, the specs, are not. it's not the first 720p phone, dual/quad core phone, or phone with LTE. the only real thing that the GSIII has going for it, is the 2GB of ram. all of those specs will be the bare minimum in 4 months. I'd much rather get a phone that is using the chipset of today, instead of the last of yesterday's.

as for what i have decided to do, i have just resigned myself to getting the GSIII. here's the logic that i used:

even when the A15's come out, no phone will use it to it's full potential, they will just have it for stat freaks. it will be at least until next spring/summer, until developers catch up with the capabilities of the A15, and start to optimize their software, and processing cycles to take advantage of it's power. By then, I will be fully ready to make that leap.

to compare the leap, think of it like the end/beginning of 2010/2011. when the atrix came out, it was touted as a huge leap. it had a strong dual core processor, AND 4G LTE, as well as a good screen. less than 6 months later, it was brought down to earth, as the market caught up, and started to match the specs with better optomized software, and more inspired designs. what we will see by the end of this year, will be that type of device that has potential, but is not quite as strong as can be.

.. at least that's what i keep telling myself lol

Nashstruck

May 5, 2012
Visit site
i was all psyched to get a Galaxy SIII in 2 weeks when it launches in the US, but then I stumbled upon this article:

ARM Cortex A9 vs ARM Cortex A15 - What to expect, and what's the difference?

and it got me to thinking. we're all drooling over the HOX and the SIII, but Cortex A15 chips are said to be released "this fall", and "near the end of the year", so this brings me to the question...

is it really worth going gaga over a phone that is essentially using the best of yesterday's technology?

P.S. - i am basing this on the universally agreed view that Cortex A15 and Exynos 5250 chips will blow the current ones out of the water, both graphically, and capility-wise.

I think what you're comparing is today's technology and potential future technology, not yesterday's technology and today's technology. If it's out in the fall, it isn't out yet! You'd never win the battle of being ahead of the market. Any tech can be made obsolete in a single second.

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
the Cortex A9 chip is not new, it has been out for a long time now. it does not qualify as today's tech anymore. it's like the chip in the iphone 4S. sure, phones are still being made with it, but it is universally agreed that it is no longer top spec.

then again, it wasn't top spec when it was new either lol.

personally, i just see the new exynos chipset as a stopgap before the next major generational jump.

this is truly the tech of tomorrow!
Samsung Flexible OLED display Hands-on - YouTube

the new chips are just the mailman turning the corner.

numb683

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
You're not wrong at all however for some people mainly those with Verizon The S3 is the best phone to get if you are able to upgrade now at a discount and keep your unlimited data plan.

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
i completely agree. it's very sad how the phone market has become for tech-folk. we're all standing around grasping to our unlimited data plans like it's the ring of power from the lord of the rings.

i am on at&t. i wish that i could change to verizon, but i know that i'd have to leave my unlimited data plan, and that ain't happenin...

Anon_Emus

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I ordered 2 yesterday, kept my vzw unlimited data for 2 more years, not looking back... switching from my tbolt w/SkyRaider Zues (love my tbolt w/SRZ & rezound battery) & wife's rezound. I compared ALL of the phones that were available and the only one that came close to making me think about dropping my tbolt was the S2 but it wasnt enough for me to leave unlimited/VZW. Now with pre-order I wont have to. Still have msd storage and that important feature (to me) was where HTC failed to keep my business...:cool:

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
it really depends on what you've currently got, I've got two phones a galaxy S2 and a Rezound, both phones are far from out of date so I don't need anything new right away so I'm waiting to see what coming, if however I hadn't upgraded from my thunderbolt yet on verizon, I'd probably grab a S3 right away. Something newer and better is always down the road, you make the jump when your existing phone is felling a little too old for you and you feel the new features warrent an upgrade

Also if I had an upgrade on verizon I'd probably grab an S3 as I won't be getting any more upgrades from them, their new plans are horrible and I want to keep unlimited data, but that's a whole different issue.

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
it really depends on what you've currently got, I've got two phones a galaxy S2 and a Rezound, both phones are far from out of date so I don't need anything new right away so I'm waiting to see what coming, if however I hadn't upgraded from my thunderbolt yet on verizon, I'd probably grab a S3 right away. Something newer and better is always down the road, you make the jump when your existing phone is felling a little too old for you and you feel the new features warrent an upgrade

Also if I had an upgrade on verizon I'd probably grab an S3 as I won't be getting any more upgrades from them, their new plans are horrible and I want to keep unlimited data, but that's a whole different issue.

agreed. if i was on verizon, i would make the jump without a second thought.

i am just scared that at&t is going to take a page from verizon's playbook, and do the same. then, i really will have to kick up some dirt!

strudel#AC

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
i will miss the music player though. i haven't found one for android that is as robust as itunes.

sorry, i just don't buy google music as an equal when it comes to options, playlists, and overall media capabilities. :(

To each their own, but don't get me started on iTunes. I am a little bitter when it decided to delete all of the 3,200 song on my iPod touch when I upgraded iOS. I backup it up (twice) and transferred all purchases (twice). The stupid program still deleted all of my music that I spent many hours tagging and adding album art to.

shatter71

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
It all depends on your carrier. If I don't upgrade now then I will lose my unlimited data with Verizon. The choice has been made, I have to upgrade now and out of the choices available, I chose the S3.

I might not get another phone for years....

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
To each their own, but don't get me started on iTunes. I am a little bitter when it decided to delete all of the 3,200 song on my iPod touch when I upgraded iOS. I backup it up (twice) and transferred all purchases (twice). The stupid program still deleted all of my music that I spent many hours tagging and adding album art to.

if you backed up your ipod/iphone on your computer before you synced and updated, then you should have lost nothing. it should all be stored on your comp. if you did lose your files, then i am sorry. there were options. :(

maybe my experience just varies from yours. it's also worth noting that i am coming from a background that has years of jailbreaking experience in it.

there are ways around apple's walls.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
IIRC, the Galaxy S3 (and HTC one x) uses A15 architecture, which is what reportedly makes it superior to all other dual core, and some quad core devices.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

That's not correct. S4 may be loosely based on A15, not sure. It's not the actual thing though. The S3 quadcore is A9.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
If you let things like that get to you, you'll never buy a phone. There's always something new around the corner. Just get the SIII now and get another phone when the next "latest and greatest" comes out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

Its true! This is the exact reason why I stilly use a launch date Palm Pre a year and a half after I got my upgrade.

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
That's not correct. S4 may be loosely based on A15, not sure. It's not the actual thing though. The S3 quadcore is A9.

I am just going from what I have read on a few different sites, the S4 processor in the SGSIII, is based on A15 architecture but is not fully compatible. It is based on 28nm process and has many of the advantages of the A15, and is considered a leap in technology vs the A9, even the tegra 3 processor. I am not technically saavy enough to come up with this myself, just what I have read.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
the S4 chip is based off of the same architecture as the A15, but it is not as big of a jump as the A15 will be. the real area where you'll see the difference, is the graphical processing. the S4 (while good), is still far behind the advantages of the new wave of chips.

am i the only one looking forward to quad core chips that are compatible with LTE radios? it's the best of both worlds :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz