I am planning to preorder samsung galaxy s3 (will be my first android phone) - but I want to do this only if it is possible to back up contacts and the note section of contacts to a location (computer or email) where i can access it if the phone is lost (my income depends on my ability to access the contacts & extensive information in the note section of the contacts immediately during work timings) (So far i have been using a windows phone - where all contacts and notes in teh contacts can be backed up to outlook on the computer)

Can someone please tell me if this is possible with any guarantee? (i have searched in google but not sure if this is possible)

Also, please tell me if this is true for the note section of the contacts - specially if the notes are long and extensive? Is there a limit to how much of the note section of the contacts gets backed up if it is possible?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
    06-13-2012 11:26 PM
    All your contact info on the phone is backed up to your Google account automatically, so you will be fine.

Take a look here about Contact limitations - Contacts limitations - Google Apps Help
    I just created a test contact in google on my pc and added about 5 pages worth of notes. It showed up on my phone immediately.
    You can also save your Contacts in a variety of ways - https://support.google.com/mail/bin/...9024&ctx=topic
    And even sync with Outlook. This page lists all the sync methods - Google Sync
    walcolm likes this.
    06-14-2012 12:21 AM
    And when you say "Google" account - does it mean gmail account or a just the "google" account - because both gmail and google have different place for contacts

Sorry to ask you questions that may seem obvious / easy to you (i just want to be sure of how things will be once i buy the samsung s3)

And thanks in advance again for your help
    06-14-2012 06:52 AM
    And when you say "Google" account - does it mean gmail account or a just the "google" account - because both gmail and google have different place for contacts

Sorry to ask you questions that may seem obvious / easy to you (i just want to be sure of how things will be once i buy the samsung s3)

Your Gmail account is your Google account.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    06-14-2012 09:02 AM

Google account is just one, once you create you will have access do Gmail, Google Calendar, Google+, YouTube, Blogger, and all the other services provided by Google.
    Your contacts are easy accessible via Gmail in the web. Once you input a new contact or note on your mobile it will sync automatically to your Google account (located on the Google server that is). So afterwards you have access that contacts or notes from the Gmail on the desktop or anywhere... easy as that ;-)

P.S: yes, you can sync with outlook

Sent from an Android device somewhere out there...
    06-14-2012 09:50 AM
    If I add a contact using my cell phone, how do I get it to sync with my Google acct contact list online? The contact that I created online all have lower case g's nest to the contact name on my phone. The ones that aren't synced don't have the g.
    06-14-2012 02:00 PM
    If I add a contact using my cell phone, how do I get it to sync with my Google acct contact list online? The contact that I created online all have lower case g's nest to the contact name on my phone. The ones that aren't synced don't have the g.
    It will automatically sync that contact if you have the sync option turned on in the settings on your Android.

06-15-2012 12:40 PM
    It will automatically sync that contact if you have the sync option turned on in the settings on your Android.

Doesn't work. It will only sync if I add the contact online not if I add using my phone. When I add from online, the contact has a lowercase "g" next to it in my phone contacts.
    06-15-2012 03:27 PM
    Doesn't work. It will only sync if I add the contact online not if I add using my phone. When I add from online, the contact has a lowercase "g" next to it in my phone contacts.
    My epic did that as well. I was able to get it working by going into app settings and clearing cash and data for the contacts app.

06-15-2012 03:45 PM
    My epic did that as well. I was able to get it working by going into app settings and clearing cash and data for the contacts app.

How do I do that? Also, in the contacts settings, under "save contact to" I have "phone" checked. Should I change that to "Google" or "Phone" with my email listed under it. I have 2 "Phone" options.
    06-15-2012 03:52 PM
    Yes, change the save location to Google. This will then sync online. the lower case "g" means that's a Google.contact

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    06-15-2012 07:48 PM
    That works for new ones, but how do I get all of the old ones to sync into Google contacts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Android Central Forums
    06-15-2012 08:03 PM
    Anyone know how to get my non-Google contacts into Google?
    06-16-2012 09:40 PM
    go to www.google.com/voice

will show all your contacts there, and if you set up google voice, you can also text or call any contact from your computer
    06-16-2012 09:46 PM
    I'm trying to transfer the contacts that are on my phone into my Google contacts.
    06-16-2012 11:21 PM
    Didn't see this covered for you already and don't know how it works yet on the gs3 since I haven't gotten mine yet but I have been using evernote for my notes and it automatically backs up to your online account where you can see them from any computer or any other Internet ready device that has the evernote app or program. Has been very useful for me. Hope that helps.

On a side note I don't know if the stock note app does this on the gs3

Sent from my DROID Incredible using Android Central Forums
    06-17-2012 12:37 AM
    All your contact info on the phone is backed up to your Google account automatically, so you will be fine.

Take a look here about Contact limitations - Contacts limitations - Google Apps Help
    I just created a test contact in google on my pc and added about 5 pages worth of notes. It showed up on my phone immediately.
    You can also save your Contacts in a variety of ways - https://support.google.com/mail/bin/...9024&ctx=topic
    And even sync with Outlook. This page lists all the sync methods - Google Sync
    some of my contacts get dublicated when i sync it

How do i avoid that Please
    06-18-2012 12:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD