I was just wondering if you guys think developers will leave some of samsung's gimmicky TW apps such as smart stay, S voice, etc. on their ROMs
    06-15-2012 11:40 AM
    Some will some wont. Depends on the rom and developer.
    06-15-2012 12:20 PM
    Anybody know if the US version is even rootable?
    06-15-2012 01:12 PM
    Anybody know if the US version is even rootable?
    Root? Yes. [11.06.2012] CF-Root 6.2 - SuperSU+CWM5.5+CWMManager - xda-developers Replacing the ROM? Too early to tell. ATT and Verizon are known jerks about requiring phone manufacturers to lock down their bootloader.

That said. I don't think, can anyone confirm this, that Samsung has ever locked down one of their bootloaders.
    06-15-2012 06:55 PM
    Root? Yes. [11.06.2012] CF-Root 6.2 - SuperSU+CWM5.5+CWMManager - xda-developers Replacing the ROM? Too early to tell. ATT and Verizon are known jerks about requiring phone manufacturers to lock down their bootloader.

That said. I don't think, can anyone confirm this, that Samsung has ever locked down one of their bootloaders.
    DOES THIS APPLY TO LTE(VERIZON) versions also? ARE THER ANY ACCEPTED ROOT METHODS FOR THE lte VERSIONS AVAILABLE?
    06-16-2012 08:36 AM

DOES THIS APPLY TO LTE(VERIZON) versions also? ARE THER ANY ACCEPTED ROOT METHODS FOR THE lte VERSIONS AVAILABLE?
    Nobody knows til we see one, but VZW doesn't lock every bootloader. My last 3 Android phones on Verizon were a piece of cake to unlock. And the most recent Samsung phone they sold (the Nexus) essentially took only one line of text via command line to unlock. Simple.

And the fact that so many carriers are going to have the S3 leads me to believe they will all have the same bootloader.
    06-16-2012 11:38 AM

In general, Samsung has been relatively easy to root. This was one of the main reasons I picked it over the evo 4G lte
    06-16-2012 09:45 PM
    new to rooting and androids. I just saw a video on youtube where someone used odin. looked pretty simple but can someone explain a few things:

when you root the phone can you install apps, delete vendors apps etc.?
    when you change loaders and rom, is this post rooting the phone?

when using the cf-root, do you need to replace the kernal?
    06-16-2012 10:06 PM
    Root Uninstaller - worked for me getting rid of Sprint stuff on my Evo 4G.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bnN0YWxsZXIiXQ..

ROMS and bootloaders (don't even mess with bootloaders afterward if you don't really know what it is) are post-root.

I would also suggest that if you are new to rooting, just do the basics of rooting which give you full control over the system like a computer and don't worry with the other stuff like kernels. Get to know the power of basic root. Play with some ROMs when the are available for the US version, and learn how backup (like Titanium) can work for you.

Only after being fully comfortable with those basic should you look into anything else.

This is just my opinion. I'm a techy, but I don't spend all my time on it. I've found a very comfortable place with Android and rooting following the above advice. I'm happy with control over my phone and tablet.
    06-21-2012 11:02 AM

This version "the internation SGSIII" was tried yesterday but a few people and resulted in a unusable recovery. The phone still worked but it caused the recovery to fail and it never applied root.

DO NOT ATTEMPT UNTIL WE HAVE SOMETHING THAT SPECIFICALLY SAYS MADE/INTENDED FOR THE US VARIANTS.

Keep an eye on the forums, we will let you know when something is available.
    06-22-2012 08:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD