Anyone go from Galaxy Note to SIII?

colin8

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I just killed my Atrix trying to flash a ROM, which is perfect timing since I was planning on getting the S3 when it came out. I went to the AT&T store today to pick up a Galaxy Note in the meantime, planning to return it in a week or so. It may grow on me though, so I'm trying to put it through all the paces to see how it performs.

Has anyone gone from the Note to the S3? The size of the Note just seems unreasonably big, but I think the S3 might just hit the spot. Also, I noticed some lag on the Note on Facebook and a little when I was typing. Am I just being nit picky here, or is it real lag that the S3 has improved on?

Geikamir

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't foresee many moving away from the Note in favor of the S3. From what I've heard and read, Note users fall in love with the screen size and have a hard time using smaller one after a while.

JOHNGAETANO

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I switched from the Note. I loved the notes size and it's features, but the S3 is so fast, and buttery smooth it's amazing.

pnizzle20

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
i sold my note to switch to the s3. at first i was in love with the note, then 1.5 months later i found the size to be very cumbersome. the novelty wore off and it was annoying to carry around and very uncomfortable to keep in my pockets. the s3 seems to have many features, especially with the camera that i want that the note does not have. also, its not like the screen on the s3 is tiny, i think i can live with a 4.8 in screen.

JOHNGAETANO

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Judging by your signature/previous device history you seem to jump devices a lot, lol.

I do switch and try devices but from Jan to June with one phone is a record for me. Im very pleased with the Samsung devices.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't foresee myself leaving the Note for the S3 for two primary reasons:

1. The Note serves as an all-in-one device that renders my need to own a dedicated tablet unnecessary. The size of the S3 makes it a mere smartphone (albeit a great one). It's smaller screensize size means I would need a dedicated tablet for the house.

2. I have grown accustomed to the use and benefits of the S-pen on the Note. I use it at work everyday to take handwritten notes, and I upload the notes instantly to Evernote or send the notes to colleagues in an email. This functionality is too valuable to give up.

3. One third reason I just thought of was sheer value of having the larger screen size and how easy that makes reading & responding to email so much nicer. I'm 47 and the larger screen size is great for reading books via the Kindle app, and viewing web pages.

The Note is an amazing device, and for me any device without at least a 5.3 screen, while great for discussion, will not be given any serious consideration.

That being said, I will pick up the s3 to play with for a month once its available in stores. I'll return it within the return period. I just like to try out all the new hot gadgets.

Galaxy Note! Phone. Tablet. Planner. Notepad. eReader. The only device I need!

colin8

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your responses! I have heard that you need to use it for a good four days or so to get used to the size, but I don't know how any amount of time will make it acceptable to me. I cannot use it one handed at all, which is getting very annoying. Also, so far I haven't found much use for the S-pen so that is not an issue. I do plan on getting a tablet eventually as well, so I'm thinking the S3 will be perfect for me.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your responses! I have heard that you need to use it for a good four days or so to get used to the size, but I don't know how any amount of time will make it acceptable to me. I cannot use it one handed at all, which is getting very annoying. Also, so far I haven't found much use for the S-pen so that is not an issue. I do plan on getting a tablet eventually as well, so I'm thinking the S3 will be perfect for me.

Sounds to me like you made up your mind already. :)

The Note did intrigue me at first, but then the gigantic size just wasn't for me. The S-pen looks like fun, but I don't think I would use it for anything other than Draw Something. When playing with one in the store, the performance seemed sluggish to me compared to my Epic 4G Touch, that's one thing I don't want again, lag, and sluggishness. I also love the shape of the GS3, makes the Epic Touch boring and iPhoneish looking.

smair82

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I had the Note for four months and was very impressed but the lag did grate on me, I kept telling myself it would get fixed in ICS but it sadly never did. My s3 is massively quicker especially since removing the s-voice shortcut from the home button.

However the s3 is terrible for calls and seems to fade in and out badly, I am going to exchange it to see if that fixes the problem but haven't had the time and it seem these problems have happened since the software update so unsure if its software or hardware

Reactions: iamdave84

ilordvader

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I switched from the Note. I loved the notes size and it's features, but the S3 is so fast, and buttery smooth it's amazing.

That is so True, my friend has S3 its super kool

After I update my Note to ICS with Kies
it freezes, jams & is a Mess

Afraid to clean wipe Note to factory reset
they say it will Brick it and am now stuck :(

ATT.Fan1982

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The s3 is very nice and initially I was tempted to jump ship from the note to the s3 but after some reading on xda and thinking, I'd rather wait for the next generation of note. The first generation of note was pretty much a bigger version of the s2 with a couple of added features so it's only right to assume the next generation of note will be a bigger version of the s3 with added features. So, yep, I'll wait :)
my note is only a month old as of now, so I can hold out even if the next note isn't released in the "rumored" October timeframe.
Sent from my GT-N7000 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

iamdave84

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
A friend of mine got the S3, and when I call him I regularly have to ask him to repeat himself because it fades in and out like smair82 describes.
On the upside, the S3 is the smoothest phone I've ever experienced with undoubtedly the best display I've ever seen (even after working in mobile sales for nearly 5 years).

ilordvader

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
A friend of mine got the S3, and when I call him I regularly have to ask him to repeat himself because it fades in and out like smair82 describes.
On the upside, the S3 is the smoothest phone I've ever experienced with undoubtedly the best display I've ever seen (even after working in mobile sales for nearly 5 years).

What city are you in ?

NZtechfreak

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I went from Note to S3. Loved my Note, but no going back after using an S3 for me (not just the extra fluidity, other things like USB audio and Apt-X that are important to me personally). Look forward to the Note 2 and expect to snap that up as soon as humanly possible to replace the S3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy