Wireless Charging

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
I know the official wireless charger isn't due until September but I noticed in a picture on one of the reviews there are a couple contact points next to the battery and no corresponding connection on the removable back.

Since this is similar to the Palm Pre/Pixi, where you replaced the original back with the one that has the coil, I'm thinking that those contacts are for a replacement back for wireless charging. But more importantly, it might be fairly easy to remove the coil from a Pre/Pixi back and stuff it in the original GSIII back with minimal* modifications.

Assumptions:
  1. The coil produces the same 5v charging voltage as you would get from USB.
  2. The coil produces the same (or nearly so) amperage.
  3. The coil will be far enough away from the NFC antenna to not cause problems. Not sure where the NFC antenna is on the GSIII though.

So I'm thinking a homegrown wireless charging solution is probably pretty easy to do. Any thoughts?

I won't be eligible to upgrade on Sprint until Aug 1 so it would be sometime after that before I could try it myself.

*minimal compared to other hacks that run wires around inside the phone and solider to the usb contacts.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz