06-24-2012 10:29 PM
62 123
tools
    Could it have been that a charger not designed for the phone was used? or the wrong HDMI cable being used? My guess is the former. The devices had to have been tested for hours by Samsung and by entities like the FCC and UL before release in the US.
    06-21-2012 05:59 AM
    Could it have been that a charger not designed for the phone was used? or the wrong HDMI cable being used? My guess is the former. The devices had to have been tested for hours by Samsung and by entities like the FCC and UL before release in the US.
    That wouldn't effect the current hold up the i phone is having though. Here's the update to the phone

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central
    06-21-2012 06:01 AM
    A comment posted on the article post on Android authority raises a good point that the damage is restricted to the charging port likely due to a "dodgy" car charger. The device has been out for almost a month and this the only documented incident if it is true. It could deliberate damage as well.
    06-21-2012 06:30 AM
    Poor bugger had remorse over getting the white GS3 and decided on insurance fraud for a pebble blue one.LOL
    06-21-2012 06:59 AM
    Poor bugger had remorse over getting the white GS3 and decided on insurance fraud for a pebble blue one.LOL
    Does it look blue or black.... Hard to tell>jk

06-21-2012 07:05 AM
    "Heat related damage" -SamsungTomorrow.com

God, people in PR can get away with murder.
    06-21-2012 07:33 AM
    I heard that Apple has a new lawsuit over this. Apparently they had the first product to blow up while plugged in ( ipod nano ).....
    I actually had this happen to me. I bought the very first Ipod Nano back in like 2002-2003? (registered it). Then early this year -- i get an email from Apple explaining the whole exploding battery thing and that they want this nano back while either repairing or replacing it.

I thought it was spam or something and called to confirm and it was legit. A few weeks later, i got the newest Ipod nano shipped to me. Needless to say i was very impressed that they would followup with me nearly 10 years after the fact.
    06-21-2012 07:49 AM
    As long as it doesn't become an epidemic of exploding GSIII's, we probably don't have anything to worry about.
    There is no place for anyone to be resonable on this forum, please leave!
    dmmarck, DJSgalaxy and markhallyo like this.
    06-21-2012 08:25 AM
    Well, it's not completely unheard of. There have been quite a few news stories about phones exploding or catching on fire over the years. Google "Cell Phone Catches fire" and you get quite a few news stories.

As long as it doesn't become an epidemic of exploding GSIII's, we probably don't have anything to worry about.
    Agreed. I posted the original article, because I thought it of interest. But I'm not going to be losing any sleep worrying about my S3 exploding or catching on fire (once it arrives, that is!)

In addition to cell phones, there are also lots of (isolated) cases of laptops exploding/catching fire, and at least a couple of widespread recalls. I think in all the cases I've heard of, it was the batteries, vs. the laptops themselves.

There is no place for anyone to be resonable on this forum, please leave!
    Hahaha! You must have been over reading the "Happy Ship Day" threads! Mucho unreasonableness and ranting & raving uncontrollably there!
    06-21-2012 08:29 AM
    A comment posted on the article post on Android authority raises a good point that the damage is restricted to the charging port likely due to a "dodgy" car charger. The device has been out for almost a month and this the only documented incident if it is true. It could deliberate damage as well.
    The guy said the phone was not charging at the time. This is definitely deliberate.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    06-21-2012 08:43 AM
    So...it wasn't charging at the time, but the fire originated at the charging port? Hmmmmm.

I guess the dumbass didn't know to burn around the battery area for better realism.
    06-21-2012 09:35 AM
    So...it wasn't charging at the time, but the fire originated at the charging port? Hmmmmm.

I guess the dumbass didn't know to burn around the battery area for better realism.
    What would be his motive as he bought the phone in the first place... Just sayin

06-21-2012 10:40 AM
    What would be his motive as he bought the phone in the first place... Just sayin

He's probably sick in the head, seriously.

jerseygirl likes this.
    06-21-2012 11:13 AM

Just because he purchased the S3 thats wrong to make that assumption...

06-21-2012 11:21 AM
    The guy said the phone was not charging at the time. This is definitely deliberate.

Wow, quite a lot of assumptions going on here, based on an article and a few cellphone pictures. Nice crucifixion job!
    markhallyo likes this.
    06-21-2012 12:17 PM
    I like what this technician said...lol

" jEYE 4 hours ago
    Cell phone technician here. $20 says that he put it in a microwave. See it all the time. Phone gets a bit wet, people nuke their phone for a few seconds thinking it will dry it off internally. Phone ends up going pop and catching fire, but only where the micro coax and antenna couplings are. Screen will still work, phone still charges, but reception is gone. I call shenanigans."
    06-21-2012 12:17 PM

I like jcp006's suggestion. Hey, this white one burned up...can I get a replacement in blue?
    06-21-2012 12:23 PM
    Wow, quite a lot of assumptions going on here, based on an article and a few cellphone pictures. Nice crucifixion job!
    What, it's easier to assume the phone spontaneously combusted around the charging port which reportedly wasn't even in use at the time?
    06-21-2012 12:25 PM
    What, it's easier to assume the phone spontaneously combusted around the charging port which reportedly wasn't even in use at the time?
    Umm, I don't think anyone said "spontaneously combusted" and the center of the fire is off to the side of the charging port, not all around it. Nonetheless - I'm not arguing that he absolutely did NOT do something himself to cause it, just that none of us has enough information to say that "he did it deliberately", he's a "dumbass" and he's "sick in the head" as you two did. It may - or may not - ultimately be confirmed that this is user error of some kind - and even if it is, I think "he's sick in the head" is out of line, but that's just me being reasonable.
    06-21-2012 12:44 PM
    First of all the report said the phone was in the charger when it caught fire. Someone here tried to change the original story. if the cell phone caught fire so be it. We have heard issues of previous cell phones catching fire before as mentioned in this thread . Why assume someone is making false statements. Odd that someone who wants to make a point to let others know of a potential safety hazard. I'm sure we would all want to be aware so this might not happen to us.

DallasFlier likes this.
    06-21-2012 12:57 PM
    First of all the report said the phone was in the charger when it caught fire. Someone here tried to change the original story. if the cell phone caught fire so be it. We have heard issues of previous cell phones catching fire before as mentioned in this thread . Why assume someone is making false statements. Odd that someone who wants to make a point to let others know of a potential safety hazard. I'm sure we would all want to be aware so this might not happen to us.

You do not like Samsung phones and negative posts about the phones you are right there fanning the flames. You are not in this forum trying to help anyone. Please go back to HTC EVO LTE forums.
    06-21-2012 01:19 PM
    This is NOT good, Apple has a patent on this type of explosion and is going to try to delay S3 shipments from getting in the country.
    06-21-2012 01:26 PM
    This is NOT good, Apple has a patent on this type of explosion and is going to try to delay S3 shipments from getting in the country.
    Good intelligent post. Thanks.
    06-21-2012 01:29 PM
    You do not like Samsung phones and negative posts about the phones you are right there fanning the flames. You are not in this forum trying to help anyone. Please go back to HTC EVO LTE forums.
    Yes, I'm helping by informing about a potential hazard. I owned Samsung phones in the past so I also have knowledge and important information to offer. Just because I defended my current phone over a comparison with another cell user does not make my experience any less noteworthy. I see people who like Apple product constantly being slammed because they prefer a different type phone.

06-21-2012 01:31 PM
    Good intelligent post. Thanks.
    What makes your post any more intelligent than his? Poking fun at Apple for their litigiousness isn't so bad, is it? Your last 2 posts in this thread have done nothing but reveal the fact that your an Apple fan. Some people don't like Apple, that shouldn't surprise nor upset you.
    markhallyo likes this.
    06-21-2012 01:47 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD