06-24-2012 03:36 PM
72 123
tools
    Hmmm.... And you told me I did everything right and it wasn't my fault...

How many did I brick?

You knew this was coming, didn't you?

Then again your a caveman so you always get a bad rap... LOL...
    dmmarck likes this.
    06-21-2012 03:04 PM
    Mine stayed unrooted for about 5 hours. Rooted to pull all my TitaniumBackup data down from Dropbox and now I'm right back to where I was on the NS4G.

Haven't looked into tethering or anything cause I just don't need it. I am looking forward to getting voodoo sound going again though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
    dmmarck likes this.
    06-21-2012 03:08 PM
    Lol Im not going down alone! *Points to everyone stealing data from carriers through illegal tethers*
    "Hey, that guy there on the TV news stole a car, so I'm stealing one too!" Heck, I won't be going down alone!"

Advice: When you're trying to get out of a hole, first thing to do is to stop digging it deeper!
    06-21-2012 03:41 PM
    If it's anything like the Nexus (which it might be, but who knows) it should be damn near unbrickable. That's part of the solace one can take in owned a GNex--you really, really, really have to go out of your way to screw up.
    06-21-2012 03:47 PM
    Hey all, I have a noob question. I have just come to the Android world from iOS via our new Samsung Galaxy tablet, and have read all these rooting suggestions with curiosity and dread. I jailbroke my iPod Touch once and that went just fine, but over time I found it to be an ungodly nuisance - Every time it synched there would be some new update that would screw up the jailbreak completely, so I had to either never update or patch the OS, or constantly have to fiddle with the jailbreak. After about two months of this annoyance, I un-jailbroke it, put it back to its stock self, and never looked back.

So, my question is, is rooting an Android device going to produce the same experience? Will it mean I can no longer get standard OS updates? Am I going to be nagged constantly that there is a new patch available which I can't apply without upending my rooted system? And is it going to nuke my current screens layout/apps/themes?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
    DallasFlier likes this.
    06-21-2012 04:03 PM
    Hey all, I have a noob question. I have just come to the Android world from iOS via our new Samsung Galaxy tablet, and have read all these rooting suggestions with curiosity and dread. I jailbroke my iPod Touch once and that went just fine, but over time I found it to be an ungodly nuisance - Every time it synched there would be some new update that would screw up the jailbreak completely, so I had to either never update or patch the OS, or constantly have to fiddle with the jailbreak. After about two months of this annoyance, I un-jailbroke it, put it back to its stock self, and never looked back.

[HL]So, my question is, is rooting an Android device going to produce the same experience? Will it mean I can no longer get standard OS updates? Am I going to be nagged constantly that there is a new patch available which I can't apply without upending my rooted system? And is it going to nuke my current screens layout/apps/themes? [/HL]

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
    The short answer? It depends. If you simply UNLOCK and ROOT your device, but do nothing to it--no custom rom, no custom recovery, etc.--you can still "take" the OTA. It WILL unroot you unless an app like RootKeeper is used.

If you have a custom rom, you will not get the update notification unless something truly crazy happens--so don't worry about that. The chances of that happening are close to the chances of an alien invasion, so it truly is a "non issue."

If you use a custom launcher--Nova, Apex, Go--it depends. When you UNLOCK, you erase everything--SDcard included--unless the SDcard is an external one (but still back it up, I haven't used one of those in ages). Therefore, when you unlock, your layouts, screens, etc. will be wiped. If you back it up to an SDcard and save that file, you can simply load that file after unlocking/rooting and it will restore your layouts. This is great for folks like me who "crack" flash; after market restore (i.e. when all of your apps get redownloaded after a factory wipe), it takes about 5 minutes to set everything up. Without having Nova there and the backup feature, it'd probably take a half an hour.

My advise is to unlock ASAP so you don't have to worry about wiping your SDcard or anything like that. If you have an external SDcard, well, I've sorta lost touch with that fine art, but it wouldn't hurt to back that up and simply drag the files over after unlocking if it in fact wipes it clean.

For a general discussion of rooting, flashing, etc., please see my Don't Panic guide (in my signature). It's for the Galaxy Nexus, but the concepts are generally applicable to most devices, particularly the SIII.
    06-21-2012 04:11 PM
    Just to add to what Advisor dmmarck said, in previous versions of the Samsung Galaxy S line when you obtain root and install a custom recovery which is used to flash or install custom ROMS, etc you don't wipe or erase the device or sdcard.

You should just as a precaution back up any important data on your sdcard or internal storage like pictures, video before doing the rooting process.

You can also use apps like SMS Backup and Restore from the Google Play Store to save your texts and restore them if needed.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums
    dmmarck and Trever-T like this.
    06-21-2012 04:24 PM
    Another thing in addition to what was already said. If you load a custom rom and an ota update comes out, chances are the developers will have it incorporated into your rom within a day or two anyway. Don't let the fear of missing out on an ota stop you from having a great time with your android.

06-21-2012 05:56 PM
    Being my first venture into the Android world after 7 years of BlackBerry usage, I'm going to just enjoy and learn the S3 in stock form for a while, but will be reading from the experts here and learning the hows of rooting as well as the capabilities it will bring me - so that down the road a bit I can make an intelligent decision.
    i am with you on that buddy!!!! coming from ATT and Iphone for years i will wait till i see more people root and install new roms before i attempt to mess with rooting the sg3.
    06-22-2012 09:02 AM
    Thanks very much for the info, everyone! In particular, that big HOW-TO guide was very educational, if a bit overwhelming. I think that I am going to hold off for the time being, though. The one single app that I really want from the root advantages is AdBlock - Other than that, I haven't seen anything that really makes me want to take the risk. For better or for worse, it still sounds like a pretty complex process and the options are more than a bit bewildering, so better safe than sorry for me. (I also have to operate under the mantra of the self-employed, which is to say, "Is spending time fiddling with this going to be advantageous to me or could I better use that time making income?")

So, sitting tight for the moment, but I do appreciate the tips and have bookmarked everything for future reference if & when I decide I want to take the plunge. Thanks again!
    06-22-2012 08:26 PM
    Boy, I thought there would be more of you rooting your phones!
    06-23-2012 11:23 AM
    Boy, I thought there would be more of you rooting your phones!
    Already rooted with cwm recovery.

06-24-2012 01:41 AM

Awesome! Just took a look at the video, seems like an easy process. Can't wait to get mine (Verizon) I know root method will probably be different for Verizon, but thought I would research the basic process. Love me some AOKP!!
    06-24-2012 01:57 AM

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    06-24-2012 03:51 AM
    I'm up for rooting. Usually for the overclocking aspect (HTC Wildfire needed that !), but at the moment, with a quad core sitting in my S3, I may have a long way to go before that requirement.

Carrier issues don't usually crop up for us in the UK, so I have less to worry about in the regard.

I've never come across AdBlock before and it sounds very interesting. It stops Ad's in everything ?
    06-24-2012 07:28 AM
    Does the phone not work without rooting? What's wrong with the way it comes? I thought android was fine the way it was? Will I have to work to make this phone wok? I don't want to work, I want to use it out of the box.

Thanks for the answers.
    06-24-2012 09:42 AM
    Does the phone not work without rooting? What's wrong with the way it comes? I thought android was fine the way it was? Will I have to work to make this phone wok? I don't want to work, I want to use it out of the box.

Thanks for the answers.
    The phone works fine out of the box. I think the people you find here rooting their device are previous rooters from their old device and they know and understand what it allows you to do.

Many want root so they can remove the last of bloat or apps they don't use. Others want it for free tethering, and then you have those that want all of the above plus the ability to run custom ROMS, themes and kernels when they become available.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums
    dmmarck and monkeyluis like this.
    06-24-2012 10:16 AM
    just finished rooting myself! I came from the webOS world and just couldn't resist rooting and having the ability to customize as I want (even though I don't know what I want to do yet). Just having the option is worth the effort as far as I'm concerned for now
    06-24-2012 01:05 PM
    Trust me, give it another week or two and there is going to be a flood of stuff to do with your rooted SGSIII..

First will be Restore to Stock option, then a few ROMs and kernels and from there it will be a free for all.....
    06-24-2012 01:12 PM
    just finished rooting myself! I came from the webOS world and just couldn't resist rooting and having the ability to customize as I want (even though I don't know what I want to do yet). Just having the option is worth the effort as far as I'm concerned for now
    Glad your enjoying it .
    06-24-2012 01:14 PM
    Glad your enjoying it .
    looks like I spoke too soon! http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...rt-up-now.html

darn.
    06-24-2012 03:34 PM
    Oh dear. Have you checked all resources, like our forums, Google, XDA and the like?
    06-24-2012 03:36 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD